OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rifle suggestions For Raffle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rifle suggestions For Raffle
    Posted: February/28/2012 at 17:06
I am a paramedic with local 2665 and our shop is going purchase a budget rifle to raffle. We want something that appeals to everyone and we are going to stay away from handguns because then the purchaser must be 21. We are thinking a deer rifle of some sort. So I figured this would be the perfect place to look for suggestionsSmile Our budget will be around $500. So what you all think? What gun? What caliber?

Dont take yourself to seriously
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2012 at 17:19
$500 might be a stretch, but you might get a gun store/sporting goods store to help you out.  Rem 700 in .260 rem or .308 would be nice.  Neither one has heavy recoil and could be used comfortably by just about anyone.  Many variations of the Rem 700.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2012 at 17:28
Ruger American, Marlin X7 in 270 or 30-06.  Go with a common caliber probably.  Maybe call some of the big companies and see if they would donate a rifle.  Or call some gun shops in your area to see.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2012 at 17:36
I have not approached our local sporting goods store yet but I am hoping if we buy a rifle that they will donate a budget 3-9x40 scope like nikon prostaff, refield, burris ff2, ext.....
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2012 at 17:42
Ask them to donate a rifle, and then spend the $500 on a Ziess Conquest to go in it.  Big Smile

Hopefully a store will work with you.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2012 at 17:48
HaHa that would sell some raffle tickets. I doubt that will fly since it is not really a charity event. 
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2012 at 18:12
You might be able to find a Weatherby vanguard for around $500.00. The name "Weatherby" always carries alot of weight in raffles. Even though it's not a Mark V, the name alone may help sales.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2012 at 20:47
The Marlin XL7 series is built on the Savage patten and is currently owned and manufactored by Remiongton. They have proven to be great hunting rifles for the money. A package rifle would likely fit your need having a 3-9X40 scope for around 465.00 retail. I tried to post a detail page but my suppliers web page is not 100% tonight. I did get some info on a Savage model that is also under budget. The scopes that come in these packages are low end but not terrible either.

When we do raffel guns we generally stay with 30-06 or 270 because that is most popular in this area.

The pic didn't load but you can key in a search for Savage Axis stainless pkg or Marlin XL7 series and you should get some pics. 
This shows suggested retail meaning you should be able to find one for around 450.00 or less.
Good Luck!
Let us know what you decide.

SAV AXIS XP 3006 22" SS PKG

Manufacturer:

SAVAGE ARMS

Manufacturer Item:

UPC Code:

MSRP

Features matte blued 3-9x40 scope, mounted & bore sighted   •Silky smooth bolt operation   •110 series bolt head design assures consistent alignment of the cartridge w/bore for exceptional accuracy   •Unique bolt handle design has skeletonized look from the top side   •Crisp 5 lb. trigger pull   •Polymer trigger guard w/plenty of room for gloved finger   •Large, two-position safety button is easy-to-operate   •Cocking i

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2012 at 07:19
Our local gunshop will sell the rifle at cost if it used for a fundraising org.   What they usually do is work out the details on cost and wait till after the raffle to order.  That way the winner gets to pick the caliber.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2012 at 09:11
The savage axis package above would be what I looked for.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2012 at 10:00
i was at my local walmart yesterday, i could pickup a m700 in 7mag for less than $500. i would look for a .270 or a 30-06.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2012 at 10:14
You could pick up a Thompson Center Venture for less than $500, I got two for $375 each, both in 308 and for the price they are great.  They have user adjustable triggers that are much nicer than the accutrigger and are guaranteed to shoot one MOA.  
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2012 at 19:35
I think marlin xl7 looks like the best budget rig topped with a redfield 3-9x40. The trigger is sweet on these rifles..... Weatherby looks good too 
bro.steve View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bro.steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2012 at 22:39
Go with the widest appeal for a raffle...Remington would get my nod.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic