OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

M1A SOCOM and Trijcon Accupoint?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M1A SOCOM and Trijcon Accupoint?
    Posted: February/28/2012 at 15:39
Ive done lots of reading on many different forums and seen lots of topics mention my specific question, but I havent been able to find an answer! I finally decided to quit lurking and actually ask the question my self.  Here goes...

I have a Springfield M1A SOCOM 2 without the extended rail (if only I would have known...) and I really want to put a Trijicon Accupoint 1x-4x (TR24) on it.  My question is regarding the eye relief which is somewhere around 3.5"  I've seen many folks mention putting the extended rail mount (either La Rue, or even Trijicon makes one) on the forward rail, but mount it backwards, so the scope extends over the reciever closer to the shooter.  Does anyone know if that setup will work?  Or has anyone actually tried it and found it does not? 

Any input would be very much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2012 at 15:48

You mean like that?

It does indeed work.  Be aware that M1As were not designed to be scoped, so some manner of cheek piece will be required.

Having played with this for quite some time, then abandoned it (couldn't get comfortable with the setup and decent cheek weld), I recommend one of the following:

1.  Mount a non-magnifying red dot like an Aimpoint and be glad your rifle does what it does very well.
2.  Scrap the M1 and get an AR10, much easier to scope, same round, very reliable and accurate when set up right.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2012 at 15:48
And, do NOT buy the Millett 1-4 as pictured.
Tguns View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2012 at 15:55
Thank you!  That is exactly what I wanted to know.  I've gone back and forth between red-dot/EO tech and a bit of magnification trijicon/leupold (not all that uncommon considering the countless number of posts from others regarding same) and thought I was pretty much decided.  Your input is greatly appreciated and I'll go back to considering the reflex-style.  Thanks again!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2012 at 16:04
Other options are a chassis system for the rifle ($1000+) or send it back to SA with $500 and they will extend the rail the length of the forearm and receiver.

In the end, I sold mine and went to an AR10 platform.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2012 at 17:24
But man M-14/M1A's are so cool.......

Welcome To Optics Talk, Tguns. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2012 at 22:30
I have to agree with Rancid ... I have tried to scope my Supermatch several ways and without a crazy cheek piece it didn't work and with one it worked ... kinda ...

I did put a scout in a EBR stock and scoped that ... worked great ... but thats about 3 more pounds and $800 ...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic