OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Light weight scopes - recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tominct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Light weight scopes - recommendations?
    Posted: February/26/2012 at 10:56
I just picked up a lightweight 270 WSM.  (Kimber 8400 montana).   The 8400 has a fairly light weight barrel so its not a varmint gun, if for no other reason than the barrel is going to get piping hot in a jiffy.  I expect this to be a kicker. My goal is to keep this gun light enough to carry all day but still be capable of delivering the goods on target, deer, elk, and  I really to get in a feral hog hunt this year so shots will be from 50 yards to as far as I might dare to shoot.

This gun starts off light and I dont want to squander that benefit.  My first thought was the Leupold 3-9 by 33 VX2.  It comes in less than 9 oz.  I also like the look of the Trijicon 3-9x40.  Its a little heavier at a tick under 13 ounces, but the self illuminated dot seems like a great feature.  I also like the theory of the Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40 at about the same weight plus I  get a customizable BDC turret.  This gives me 3 choices so far. 

I know that there are a thousand scopes and dozens of good manufacturers, and I know you guys are experts and I am not.  If somethign wrong with any of the three I have on the table please beat me over the head with it.

Price wise, the trijicon is probably at my practical limit, but for the right reason I can go a little higher.  However, I cant pretend that a S&B, NF, or Swar is in my future, cause they are not.   (I  wanted a cooper but got a  used 8400, if you get my drift).

I know this comes down to preferences, but need some educated pointers to other scopes that I should include in my list.   Also if anyone has any real world comparisons between the 3 I have picked I would appeciate benefiting from your experience.

rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2012 at 11:13
Originally posted by tominct tominct wrote:

I just picked up a lightweight 270 WSM.  (Kimber 8400 montana).   The 8400 has a fairly light weight barrel so its not a varmint gun, if for no other reason than the barrel is going to get piping hot in a jiffy.  I expect this to be a kicker. My goal is to keep this gun light enough to carry all day but still be capable of delivering the goods on target, deer, elk, and  I really to get in a feral hog hunt this year so shots will be from 50 yards to as far as I might dare to shoot.

This gun starts off light and I dont want to squander that benefit.  My first thought was the Leupold 3-9 by 33 VX2.  It comes in less than 9 oz.  I also like the look of the Trijicon 3-9x40.  Its a little heavier at a tick under 13 ounces, but the self illuminated dot seems like a great feature.  I also like the theory of the Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40 at about the same weight plus I  get a customizable BDC turret.  This gives me 3 choices so far. 

I know that there are a thousand scopes and dozens of good manufacturers, and I know you guys are experts and I am not.  If somethign wrong with any of the three I have on the table please beat me over the head with it.

Price wise, the trijicon is probably at my practical limit, but for the right reason I can go a little higher.  However, I cant pretend that a S&B, NF, or Swar is in my future, cause they are not.   (I  wanted a cooper but got a  used 8400, if you get my drift).

I know this comes down to preferences, but need some educated pointers to other scopes that I should include in my list.   Also if anyone has any real world comparisons between the 3 I have picked I would appeciate benefiting from your experience.

Leupold mark AR 3x9 that worked real good for me. I like them. Clear, lightweight and dials just a good buy.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2012 at 12:50
Welcome tominct! Of the scopes mentioned (particularly for hogs), I'd suggest the Trijicon Accupoint. I've had one for several years. The glass is very good, it's lightweight and has illumination without batteries. What's not to like. BTW, mine has been without issue. Smile
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2012 at 13:00
The glass in the Trijicon is much better than the Leupold VX 2 and Mark AR and the illuminated dot is a plus against dark backgrounds, brush, wooded areas, low light, etc.

I compared the Conquest, VXR, VX3, 6500, and some others and the Trijicon just was a better fit for me since I like hunting in the conditions that I stated above.

I hunt mainly at night, low light condidtions and even under full moon with no other light source and have been extremely pleased with the Accuppoint 3-9x40 with the standard crosshairs and green dot from 25. - 250 yds.

I have also been considering getting another accupoint with the mildot so I can use the mildots for holdover (beyond 300yds).

Eagle
tominct View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tominct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2012 at 15:17
My only concern with the Trijicon is not knowing how Trijicon handles the depletion of the source.  I read that they warrant the tritium  for 15 years.  Presuming I live that long - do they have a service to replace the depleted source when it goes dim? Anybody know how much that costs?  I doubt that this service will be free, but I need to know that it is available.  The answer might be on the Trij web site, but I didnt spot it.

With pistols night sights its no big deal, another $100 or so and I am back in business.  A $700 scope I am not eager to pitch when it dies.  
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2012 at 18:47
I wouldn't through away that scope just because the reticle went dim after 15 yrs.... still a good scope for day-time use and even low light that is not night time!  Actually, a lit reticle is not necessary for legal shooting in most places-I can't speak to all places.

The way technology has been going lately, you'll prolly want something new by then anyway.

Edited by Tip69 - February/26/2012 at 23:19
take em!
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2012 at 19:14
Yes, they can recharge it and I'm not sure what it would cost. Not to mention, I'm sure the price will be different in 15 years.

No matter what and as mentioned, it will still work the same as a regular scope with standard (accupoint) crosshairs, it has nice glass too, the rectice thickness is between a standard plex and heavy which equals that it will even take older eyes to legal hunting light.

If you want something without illumination with close to the same glass than I would go Conquest.

Keep in mind, Alot of companies only warranty electronics for an x amount of years, most 2 yrs so to me the Trijicon was the best all around deal for what I needed.

Eagle

PS: Call and/or email Trijicon and they will answer any question you have.

Edited by EAGLE - February/26/2012 at 19:31
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2012 at 19:22
Cool

Edited by Tip69 - February/26/2012 at 23:21
take em!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2012 at 21:16
the glow is done by a couple sources so the tritium isn't the only thing lighting it up all the time, yes it is the only one in darkness but the fiber optics still gather light during light conditions.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Norrick View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2012 at 02:27
Sightron S2 Big Sky 3-9x36 AO.

I have this one as well as the VX-II 3-9x33 EFR and the Sightron is slightly better optically. Slightly heavier as well. I think its 14 oz. vs 11 oz.
R H Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2012 at 12:56
I would not get that light weight Leupold EFR 3-9X33.Having researched that scope I find it one of the least liked Leupolds.

My first choice for your rifle would be a Swaro Z3 3-9X36. After that a Leupold VX3 either in 2.5-8X36 or 1.75-6X32.If you want illumination check out the Leupold VXR 2-7X33.

I will be getting a Montana later this year and the Swaro Z3 3-9X36 will be on mine. The 3.2" eye relief on high power of the Trijicon is the deal breaker for me.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2012 at 13:19

My only concern with the Trijicon is not knowing how Trijicon handles the depletion of the source.  I read that they warrant the tritium  for 15 years.  Presuming I live that long - do they have a service to replace the depleted source when it goes dim? Anybody know how much that costs?  I doubt that this service will be free, but I need to know that it is available.  The answer might be on the Trij web site, but I didnt spot it. 

100-$190, depending on model.
Doug
Dirtyoldsix View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirtyoldsix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2012 at 04:56
Originally posted by R H Clark R H Clark wrote:

I would not get that light weight Leupold EFR 3-9X33.Having researched that scope I find it one of the least liked Leupolds.

My first choice for your rifle would be a Swaro Z3 3-9X36. After that a Leupold VX3 either in 2.5-8X36 or 1.75-6X32.If you want illumination check out the Leupold VXR 2-7X33.

I will be getting a Montana later this year and the Swaro Z3 3-9X36 will be on mine. The 3.2" eye relief on high power of the Trijicon is the deal breaker for me.

Well I have this scope on my BRNO 223 and I can tell you its a gem! I am interested in your research please tell more? 

If you can see it you can hit it.
K22 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2012 at 05:46
I have a couple of Montana's and one Classic. Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36 is what I use. For awhile I used a Nikon 2-8x32 and that worked ok.
The Leupolds I mentioned are about perfect on the Montana's. Lightweight and clear.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2012 at 07:13
The above mentioned Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36 is one of Leupold's most popular scopes.  When I think of compact or lightweight scopes that's the first one I consider.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
tominct View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tominct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2012 at 21:04
I happen to live close to a cabellas so I went down today to look at the various scopes, kind of wish I hadnt.

The Trijicon 3-9 is a great scope.  I think this is going to be the scope I buy.  

The Leupold mark AR was ok but the field of view felt smaller- very aware of the edges.  Not surprising - I liked the image in the Trijicon better than the Leupold - but it costs more so I should not be surprised, right.

Next I looked at the conquest  and was not impressed.  I didnt think it was any better than the Leupold, but it was in a very bad spot becuase  it was sitting right next to the Swarovski z3 3-9.  The Swarovski simply blew the conquest  away. It was another price mismatch.   I think the z3 had the best image of the 4.  To my eyes, inside the store, the Swarovski was noticably better.  Not being an optics expert I dont have the vocabulary to explain what I saw, so in simple terms the image just poped.  Its almost like a few light frequencies of light were not making it all the way through the other scopes it the color was being distorted.   Something was just missing, something like the blues were grayed out.  Hard to put your finger on until you go from one to the next. 

The Swarovski is about $750 - it had a sibling I should have checked out that woudl be $900 (3-10 x42) that only weighs an extra .7 ounces.

If you cant afford a swarovski my advice is to not look through one.  The only smart thing I did today was not look through a leica.  

Why the Trijicon versus the Swarovski?  2 reasons.  1) the swarovski had the best image by a small margin, but the reticle in the Trijicon was much  better.    2) its american made and its a great scope.   The Swarovski BRX reticle (not available on the 3-9) would have closer, but still less and you have to step up to the $900 level in Swarovski to get that reticle.  At that point the price increase factors in as an offsetting factor. 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2012 at 21:09
270 WSM has plenty of ability. Why dont I just tell you what I put on my Tikka 300 WSM. I found a used one of these on samplelist.com this was a nice match.  17.5 oz but not overly bulky and plenty deadly .
Zeiss 4.5-14x44 Conquest Rifle Scope Rapid Z 800 Zeiss 4.5-14x44 Conquest Rifle Scope
Stock # - ZEI5214309972
  • Matte
  • Rapid Z 800
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
$899.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2012 at 21:13
I will say that I am a big fan of the Trijicon scopes so if you go that route Im sure you will enjoy it also.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Brad4213 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad4213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2012 at 02:12

Next I looked at the conquest  and was not impressed.  I didnt think it was any better than the Leupold, but it was in a very bad spot becuase  it was sitting right next to the Swarovski z3 3-9.  The Swarovski simply blew the conquest  away. It was another price mismatch.   I think the z3 had the best image of the 4.  To my eyes, inside the store, the Swarovski was noticably better.  Not being an optics expert I dont have the vocabulary to explain what I saw, so in simple terms the image just poped.  Its almost like a few light frequencies of light were not making it all the way through the other scopes it the color was being distorted.   Something was just missing, something like the blues were grayed out.  Hard to put your finger on until you go from one to the next. 

I know exactly what you mean about the swarovski. I did the same thing at Bass Pro Shops a few weeks ago. I looked at a zeiss conquest 4,5-14x44 and really wasnt impressed with it "in the store" i then looked at the swaro, huge difference, wished i hadnt everything seemed to be intesified, blues bluer, greens greener, etc, but i did go to another store and looked through a zeiss 4,5-14x50, and a viper PST 4-16x50 both out doors towards the end of the day, that won me over on the Zeiss, better than the 44mm version for what ever reason, still not as good as the swaro but it will definitly suit my needs. In the future i do plan on buying a swaro for another rifle, but in the mean time i have an awesome scope that i wouldnt hesitate to buy again.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2012 at 09:19
When looking at scopes it is best to take them outdoors. Some scopes are optimized to look good indoors under florescent lights and do not look as good with natural lighting. And good scopes that are optimized for natural lighting may very well not look that good indoors.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic