OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need help narrowing down

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahiaring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help narrowing down
    Posted: February/25/2012 at 16:06
I started another thread on the riflescopes forum bout a 1 gun 1 scope setup. I want this to a "professional" level setup. In short, I have decided to do it and have began the liquidation process of firearms and optics to clear up funds. This scope is going on a remington 5r .308 for big game from deer - moose and all inbetween. Will also be used in long range shooting competitions out to 1k, and long range gong shooting as well. The 3-20X is what I'm leaning towards...

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2012 at 16:27
March 2.5-25
-Matt
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2012 at 17:05
Seems your pulling out all the stops with this "one gun" guild ... I have to agree with Bitterroot ...

I would go with the March 3-24x42 FFP - comes in under $3k w/ Illum

Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2012 at 19:31
Originally posted by Sapper524 Sapper524 wrote:

Seems your pulling out all the stops with this "one gun" guild ... I have to agree with Bitterroot ...

I would go with the March 3-24x42 FFP - comes in under $3k w/ Illum

You might want to read this review.

http://opticsthoughts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=98:high-end-tactical-scopes-part-3&catid=4:rifle-scope-reviews&Itemid=4
6.5x47 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6.5x47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2012 at 19:35
How could you pay 3k for a scope that only has a five year warranty?  I, for one, am rough on scopes, and it's nice to know a company will stand behind its products if scope does fail.  I would choose anything but the March.

Remember, all things mechanical will fail.  It's just a matter of time.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2012 at 19:37
Lets muddy the waters a bit   DevilMy vote is for HeinsoldtThunbs Up:
Zeiss 4-16x56 Tactical Hensoldt Telescopic 34mm Sight Zeiss 4-16x56 Tactical Hensoldt Telescopic 34mm Sight
Stock # - ZEI10198729
  • Matte
  • Illuminated NH1
  • 34mm
  • Target Knobs
  • Side Focus
  • 0.1 MRAD
  • 1st Focal Plane Reticle
$3,562.95 
Zeiss 4-16x56 Tactical Hensoldt Telescopic 34mm Sight Zeiss 4-16x56 Tactical Hensoldt Telescopic 34mm Sight
Stock # - ZEI10139090
  • Matte
  • Illuminated H37
  • 34mm
  • Target Knobs
  • Side Focus
  • 0.1 MRAD
  • 1st Focal Plane Reticle
$3,962.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2012 at 20:17
Originally posted by 6.5x47 6.5x47 wrote:

How could you pay 3k for a scope that only has a five year warranty?  I, for one, am rough on scopes, and it's nice to know a company will stand behind its products if scope does fail.  I would choose anything but the March.

Remember, all things mechanical will fail.  It's just a matter of time.

Interesting, I was not aware of that. But I will say that there are somethings I owned that do not have lifetime warranties even though other products in that category do. Also just because it has a lifetime warranty does not mean they will fix it if you have an accident and break it.

This review has the scopes you are looking at as well as the Zeiss that was just mentioned.

http://opticsthoughts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81:high-end-tactical-scopes-part-ii&catid=4:rifle-scope-reviews&Itemid=4
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2012 at 21:31
Good review ... Ilya breaks it down very well

USO wasn't represented in that review ... the 1.8-10 or 3.2-17 models would also be a good option.

All the scopes being mentioned are packed full of features - preference of those features would make selection a lot easier.

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2012 at 21:42
Call March and ask them about the warranty. 

If warranty is a top priority, the Vortex Razor HD would be a good choice.  You would never have to worry about a thing.
-Matt
ahiaring View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahiaring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2012 at 22:58
Just out of curiosity, is there a specific reason no one else is really behind S&B or is it more of personal prefence....

BTW Vortex Razor scope is a great looking scope with the best warranty, just want the next step above that.
6.5x47 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6.5x47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2012 at 08:42
S&B make a great scope, but the 3-20 isn't available yet.  They have promised that scope for a few years now, but it's always six months out.  If you can afford to wait until it comes out, you won't be disappointed. 

If you are looking for a step up from the Razor, forget the Premier Heritage.  Take if from a person who has had both.  In every category, except glass quality, the Razor is a better scope.
Idaho Scot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idaho Scot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2012 at 09:52
This may not be of importance to you but have you seen any of the scopes listed in person?  Many of the scopes mentioned here are very long and big and heavy.  Maybe you are fine with that on a 308.  I just wanted to point it out.  The problem with the 1 gun concept is trying to figure out which negatives you are going to have to deal with.  IMO, for hunting the real big scopes aren't ideal, but I do a lot of hiking when I hunt so YMMV! 

If this is an issue you may want to look at the Bushnell HDMR, March, Premier LT.  Smaller packages with excellent performance. 

Just some other thought to ponder!

Scot
ahiaring View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahiaring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2012 at 21:52

Let me throw this out there....

...The furthest I have acutally ever shot at a gong was 600 yards and at an animal 400 ish. Gun was a 300 weatherby with a 3.5-10X scope...Didn't do any dialing on the animal, and the gong I remember thinking it sure looked small...so......

How much magnification do I need to shoot gongs and paper to 1k? A top end mag of 12X may not be enough? Thinking something at least 15X-20X.

Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2012 at 22:15
Originally posted by ahiaring ahiaring wrote:

Let me throw this out there....

...The furthest I have acutally ever shot at a gong was 600 yards and at an animal 400 ish. Gun was a 300 weatherby with a 3.5-10X scope...Didn't do any dialing on the animal, and the gong I remember thinking it sure looked small...so......

How much magnification do I need to shoot gongs and paper to 1k? A top end mag of 12X may not be enough? Thinking something at least 15X-20X.

So with hunting and "long range comps" as you put it ... what kind of comps we talking about?  If your trying to tear a hole in the X ring at 1000 then you will want more magnification.  If your just trying to ring steel then 10x works.  We shoot 1100 yard steel (12x12 plate) with 10x frequently.  Lots of magnificaiton means a bigger and heavier scope.  Have to find a compromise your happy with. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic