OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

need help with this one!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need help with this one!
    Posted: February/25/2012 at 01:28
I just bought this

Sako   M995   30-378 wby

OK.... one very interesting hindrance with the TGR-S.

I had one in the past.  I mounted a 4.5x14x40mm LR 30mm with M1 dials.

After taking it to the range and firing it I discovered the following.

The angle path that the gun ejects the brass, coincides with the windage turret which results with the brass getting kicked right back in the gun perfectly!

Now that sucked!
So I have to be careful with the size of turrets

BTW I just tried a 4.5x14x40mm with the CDS turrets.  Same deal.  Pending on the position of scope it will or will not eject.  Cases (fired) fall back in.  If scope is placed very forward then it will.....but rear ring hits rear ocular!

Looking around on the net I found this.
I guess his answer was to turn the scope 90* off?

http://forum.gon.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=195463&stc=1&d=1224113084

Wacky looking thing!

Brad4213 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad4213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2012 at 03:28
if its turned 90degrees off all it will do is make your elevation your new windage and your windage your new elevation, and in theory would work, may also be confusing unless you could switch turrets around. Or i would consider maybe getting some taller rings, thats only a suggestion/option i have, im not sure what the more knowlegable people on here would say. i know they will be more help than i. other option  maybe a leica, they seem to have super tiny turrets that i believe may allow clearance for the ejected brass. Big Grin good luck!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2012 at 04:59
Another possible option would be to look into having the geometry of the ejector changed just enough to change the trajectory of spent rounds as it leaves the action.  I have no idea how feasable or expensive that would be.  I'm not familiar with that action.  How wide is the ejection port?
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Fotis View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2012 at 05:20
I think I will try the higher rings suggestion.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2012 at 06:51

Something I've been wondering about for a long time.  Why design a scope so that a turret is over the ejection/loading port?  Kinda seems like a DUH.  No big deal for a nondangerous game rifle or target rifle I guess.  I've noticed over the yrs a few pics where guys have turned the scopes 90* on their dangerous game rifles.  Phil Shoemaker being one that comes to mind.  Am I missing something in the design features of a scope or something? 
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Fotis View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2012 at 07:02
Then my SF would be on the bottom!  Bandito
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2012 at 07:13

Wasn't meaning for you to do it!   Big Grin

Thinking mainly of your std hunting scope although if the designers would have taken into account that NOTHING should be over the ejection/loading port they could have come up with something.

Maybe?

Also.  VERY NICE rifle by the way!

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2012 at 08:18
Just to twist your question why design a rifle that requires a scope, to eject into the scope. I do not see this as a scope problem but a rifle problem. . I would contact Sako about the problem. A knowlegable smith may be able to grind the ejector to swing the case to the side rather than with so much upward direction

Edited by 3_tens - February/25/2012 at 08:23
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2012 at 08:50

BUT,even on rifles w/no such problem as Fotis (for instance my 98 Mauser has the scope mounted LOW w/no ejection/loading problem) if the turret wasn't in that position over the port there would be ALOT MORE room for FAST loading if needed.  Especially nice if wearing gloves or simply having cold hands.  I'm guessing that's why some turn their scopes 90*.  Is there a reason the turret HAS TO BE on that side?
oldguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2012 at 10:02
Personally I would try higher rings,actually I find higher rings give me a better cheek weld in most cases
I'm not as concerned with looks but function.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2012 at 10:32
Cheapest option would to be trying different ring heights.  If that doesn't work, either get a scope you can rotate, or ask a good gunsmith what can be done.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2012 at 12:20
Seems to me that this "problem" has surfaced on Sako 85's (sometimes) also. Most have done the ring switch or scope rotation, but I'm thinking that Sako has been made aware of but refused to acknowledge the problem (in public). I may be confused, but I am also thinking a re-designed or altered ejector has been the best fix.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Fotis View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2012 at 20:08
Thank you gents for all the input.  I ordered high rings for it.  I will keep you advised.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2012 at 06:04
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

BUT,even on rifles w/no such problem as Fotis (for instance my 98 Mauser has the scope mounted LOW w/no ejection/loading problem) if the turret wasn't in that position over the port there would be ALOT MORE room for FAST loading if needed.  Especially nice if wearing gloves or simply having cold hands.  I'm guessing that's why some turn their scopes 90*.  Is there a reason the turret HAS TO BE on that side?
Righthander conceit....
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2012 at 09:18
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

If it was on the other side the guys with left handed rifles would have the problem, to be honest I have never had any issues.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic