OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Savage Axis/Edge thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Savage Axis/Edge thoughts?
    Posted: February/24/2012 at 21:23
Just wondering what you guys think about these? Got some good reviews around the net...
Old Mil ftw
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 21:29
I think that the Marlin XL7 is a better budget rifle.
-Matt
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 21:43
I'm not a fan..... but that's partly because I really like the Accu-trigger and they don't have them.
take em!
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 21:52
Agreed on the accu trigger. I want to get one in 243 for coyote hunting. People are claiming MOA accuracy. From a cheap stock rifle. I am a little skeptical.
Old Mil ftw
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2012 at 06:41

I just can't get to excited over entry level rifles that are of their own design (Rem 710 and such).  I'm not saying they can't be accurate.  Myself I'd be looking at the Marlin XL7,Stevens,maybe even a used brand name rifle.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
ba_50 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ba_50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2012 at 12:35
Negatives: It has a plastic floorplate that snaps shut with a plastic catch. The recoil lug isn't pinned to the action. Not sure if the trigger is better or worse than the 200's. Probably not as good of choice for a build compared to the 200.

Positive- price and LH available. I would prefer to have the 200's (maybe Axis's too) trigger worked over vs the accu-trigger.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2012 at 18:12
They looked like a bargain to me.  I like Savage rifles and have had good luck with them I wouldnt mind having a couple of them in calibers I dont already have but would occasionally like to shoot.  I typically spend more on my rifles and have grown to really trust a Tikka T3.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2012 at 19:38
I ended up purchasing one in 243 as a cheap coyote gun. I am impressed with it. It does shoot just under sub MOA. Best group so far fit in my thumb nail. With Remington Wal mart soft point ammo. 80 grains. I tried some 95 great BTHP and it shot all over the place. I'm glad it shoots cheap ammo well haha! Altogether satisfied the cheap Bushnell it came with works just fine.
Old Mil ftw
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2012 at 22:18
That sounds good!  I've been a little skeptical of the axis/edge.  Thanks for the info.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic