OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Noski scope questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOG_Gunfighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Noski scope questions
    Posted: February/24/2012 at 19:32
Hi all!!

I am brand new to this forum. Thank you for welcoming into the community.

To be honest, I have not been heavy into guns since I moved form Alaska in 2005, but the tickle is always there eh? I was digging through a box of gun stuff the other week and happened across a special gift from an old friend, a retired Warrant pal of mine form Wyoming, the probably not famous but should be Dick Foy. Mr. Foy gave this scope to me as a gift after some people offered him some money for it.

So here it is, it's an old Noski scope with a single point (#2?) reticle. The thing is absolutely beautiful!! I have kept it in a silicone sock for years, and it was kept in fantastic condition over the years, the body of it has a wonderful patina on it, the lenses are a a little, not sure what you would call it, like they have some pepper spilled on them, but they are scratch free. I took this to a local gun store and was told it was form the 1930's, probably 1937 if the guy who looked at it guessed (I left it at the shop for a few weeks and the owner asked around). I brought it home today and decided to look on the internet, and whaddaya know, I cannot find a single thing on Google about it. Not one single thing, not a forum hit, nothing.

Does anyone know anything about these scopes? If anyone does, I would like to maybe discuss this further in a PM or maybe email since I haven't a clue how to upload photos here. Um, unless someone would like to take the time to explain it to me in a PM maybe?

Again, thank you for accepting me into the community and thank you again in advance for all the help in pointing me in the right direction for finding out exactly what I have and what it is worth. Disclaimer/spoiler: This scope is not for sale.....

~S!!

MOG_Gunfighter
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2012 at 12:25
Welcome MOG! Excellent  I'm sorry but I have no idea on that scope. Perhaps one of our "experts" (Rifledude, Koshkin, Cheaptrick, Budperm, Son of Ed, Kickboxer, etc., etc., etc.) will have some information of benefit. Good luck. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2012 at 08:38
Hello MOG_Gunfighter,
Welcome to the forum.
Would you please describe all markings on the scope?
You can't post pics until you reach 50 posts, but a picture uploaded to Photobucket and linked might help.

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2012 at 09:41

A Winchester with a Noske scope....

According to Nick Stroebel's book OLD RIFLE SCOPES, the scopes that were built by Rudolph Noske were the first scopes in America to have internal adjustments.  In the late 1930s they cost more than Zeiss.  I remember reading Jack O'Connor in the old days and he mentioned Noske scopes a lot from back when he was a young man.  

The values would have to relate to condition.  But an old Noske scope that is not wrecked would be worth maybe $200. 

Visit the Ed Show
MOG_Gunfighter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOG_Gunfighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2012 at 22:06
Great info Son of Ed!!

I followed the link and did some reading about how much it would be worth, I am not sure as today I noticed a very small chip along the edge of the glass. It doesn't affect the sight picture at all, but a chip is a chip I imagine, that's how it is in the car world.

I'll get some pictures posted somewhere when I get my camera back home. Mine looks about like the one shown on the 1903 Winchester there, but the adjusters are a tad different; instead of being easy to adjust like above this has kind of ring cast into the body (not sure terminology wise it would be) with small adjustment screws, then removable guards that fit kind of like how the front sight guard goes on a Winchester 1894 .22 Mag.

There are some old ring marks from whatever was used to mount it from who knows how long. I looked the screws over, they aren't too buggered, but one of the tiny ones is missing from the adjuster guards. The markings are a little tough to see, but one says "R.Noske" with the US Pat. Pend under it, and in between is simply a 2.

I don't know anything about scopes since I am an iron site guy, so can someone explain a little something to me? So it is a single point reticle, and I assumed it would just point straight up, but looking at the windage and elevation markings I would say that maybe the guards are switched as right now if the pointer is straight up then the windage is the top one and the elevation is on the side??
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic