OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Act of Valor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Act of Valor
    Posted: February/24/2012 at 15:37
One of the best movies I have seen in a long time and absolutely the best action movie... It is a real roller coaster ride, some fun, some heartrending moments, some deep reflection... 

Go see it...

"In Valor there is hope..."
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 15:55
Sweet, coming from you that's quite an endorsement, can't wait to see it!!!  Excellent
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 16:40
Been watching the previews and waiting for my rediculous theater to get it. Now that it has your endorsement I MUST see it.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 18:47
Going this weekend! 
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 19:03
You have to understand that the primary characters are Navy SEALs and have not yet managed to graduate from "The Chuck Norris School of Acting"... they do a very good job, but at points it is easy to see they are not seasoned actors.  Enjoy the storyline and the action, most of the action is better than Chuck's...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 21:27
One I want to see, but unfortunately, I live in hell (not Montana, just Sidney, MT), and we don't get those movies for a long time.  But I will see it at some point.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 22:22
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

You have to understand that the primary characters are Navy SEALs and have not yet managed to graduate from "The Chuck Norris School of Acting"... they do a very good job, but at points it is easy to see they are not seasoned actors.  Enjoy the storyline and the action, most of the action is better than Chuck's...

I hope they don't and continue to keep it real... from what I've heard it's done very well, and now your thumbs up too. 
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 22:47
There are a couple points where the lines are a little forced/overacted... reminded me of Norris.  Overall, they did a fantastic job.  The realism was incredible.  I'll be psyched about this movie for a long time.  Some scenes are so intense, so honest, so realistic "in the moment", they will make you literally grab the arms of your seat.  I was holding my wife's hand and she said "stop it... you're hurting my hand".  FAST paced...

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2012 at 02:27
I have not yet seen the movie and with the complexities of my schedule I am not sure if I'll make it out to the theater.  I did by accident stumble onto a different take on the movie (hat tip from Pamela Geller's blog that I follow):

With antisemitism on the rise world-wide (and, in a most troubling manner in the US), these are the kinds of things I tend to pay attention to.

Ilya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2012 at 07:45
Israel is our "Island in the Sun" in the Middle East.  I am one of her stongest supporters, stoutest allies.  I provided analysis for testing of one of Israel's best defense programs... it is highly successful, BTW.

I noted the "but you're Jewish" comment in the movie and thought it merely a "plot manipulation"... my mind did not immediately run to an attempt to slander the Jewish people.  Think about it... the character "Christo", bearing the name of the Christian savior, claiming Jewish faith, actively aiding the religion and cause that would wipe out his "homeland".  But if the transition is made, what about my outrage, being a PRACTICING Catholic, at all the vitriole thrown at the Catholic Church.  How about all the "gangsters" portrayed as Catholic/Christian, the continuous slander by "mainstream press and comedians" relating pedophelia to Catholicism (when studies show that the pedophilic clergy was only a small percentage of the Catholic priesthood and that Protestant, Baptist, etc had almost exactly the same percentage of their populations involved in sexually deviant behaviors???  
(In a statement read out by Archbishop Silvano Maria Tomasi in September 2009, the Holy See stated "We know now that in the last 50 years somewhere between 1.5% and 5% of the Catholic clergy has been involved in sexual abuse cases", adding that this figure was comparable with that of other groups and denominations.[11]A Perspective on Clergy Sexual Abuse by Dr. Thomas Plante of Stanford University and Santa Clara University states that "approximately 4% of priests during the past half century (and mostly in the 1960s and 1970s) have had a sexual experience with a minor" which "is consistent with male clergy from other religious traditions and is significantly lower than the general adult male population which may double these numbers".[4][12] Additionally, according to Newsweek magazine, the figure in the Catholic Church is similar to that in the rest of the adult population.)
It's a bridge too far.  I respect everyone's religion.  While I certainly don't, in most cases, agree with all their teachings (probably more than not), unless they are Catholic, I don't disrespect them, either.  
The comment in the movie was, in my studied and well versed opinion, a shocked response to all the evil the man "Christo" committed, all his hatred for America, and utter disbelief that a man who proclaimed Jewish faith could be a part of the Islamic EXTREMIST jihad.  It was a commentary that evil can raise itself up in the strangest of places, with no accounting for how or why.  While our current administration is far less supportive of Israel than anyone in our time (perhaps short of Jimmy Carter), America, as a whole has been Israel's greatest friend.  Istrael has also been ours, perhaps second only to Great Britain.  Canada and Australia are up there in the top echelons, as well.  All have at times served their own interests at the expense of American interests.  We, America, have done the same, to our discredit.  But nations, regardless of their place in the world, are run by PEOPLE, humans, with all their failings.  Man has the potential to be truly great, but as J.R.R. Tolkien so aptly put it "a blight in summer, a frost in autumn, and ever does he fail of his seed".  
"Act of Valor" is a great movie, of great men, doing great, valorous, things to make this world a better place... in spite of those who would tarnish their achievements, both on and off the screen, for whatever petty and insecure reason.  I like Pamela Geller, most of the time... this time she fell off the cliff into a pile of manure.  Sometimes academic analysis should be left at home...
Sensitivities sometimes run too high.  Although we are in a dangerous time, a time when many things that were once taken for granted are now in "flux", support in this country for Israel is still VERY high, in spite of the administration's undermining efforts.  I don't think the American people will sit idly by and let our Israeli friends be cast aside.  I just don't believe that.  I also do not believe there was any malicious hidden meaning in the exchange between Senior (Chief) and Christo.  Perhaps I should be outraged at the choosing of a name for the most evil of characters in the movie that could be construed as synonymous with my Lord and Savior...  If there was a slight intended, it hit everyone, equally... well, didn't hit Buddhism, Hinduism, Rastifarianism, Shinto, Baha'i, etc.  Wonder why they got excluded...  Maybe it was just what someone thought might be "comic relief" at a very intense moment.  Maybe it was a poor choice, but that is all it was.

Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2012 at 08:45
I will agree with Kickboxer and also recommend going to see that movie... I went to it yesterday and it was one of the best movies I've ever seen!
"I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace."
Thomas Payne, Revolutionist
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2012 at 09:22
Pam Geller may have her following, but... in my opinion, she has a proclivity to fan flames and as such, I do not follow her blog.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2012 at 15:16

Israel is our "Island in the Sun" in the Middle East.  I am one of her stongest supporters, stoutest allies.  I provided analysis for testing of one of Israel's best defense programs... it is highly successful, BTW.

I noted the "but you're Jewish" comment in the movie and thought it merely a "plot manipulation"... my mind did not immediately run to an attempt to slander the Jewish people.  Think about it... the character "Christo", bearing the name of the Christian savior, claiming Jewish faith, actively aiding the religion and cause that would wipe out his "homeland".  But if the transition is made, what about my outrage, being a PRACTICING Catholic, at all the vitriole thrown at the Catholic Church.  How about all the "gangsters" portrayed as Catholic/Christian, the continuous slander by "mainstream press and comedians" relating pedophelia to Catholicism (when studies show that the pedophilic clergy was only a small percentage of the Catholic priesthood and that Protestant, Baptist, etc had almost exactly the same percentage of their populations involved in sexually deviant behaviors???  
(In a statement read out by Archbishop Silvano Maria Tomasi in September 2009, the Holy See stated "We know now that in the last 50 years somewhere between 1.5% and 5% of the Catholic clergy has been involved in sexual abuse cases", adding that this figure was comparable with that of other groups and denominations.[11]A Perspective on Clergy Sexual Abuse by Dr. Thomas Plante of Stanford University and Santa Clara University states that "approximately 4% of priests during the past half century (and mostly in the 1960s and 1970s) have had a sexual experience with a minor" which "is consistent with male clergy from other religious traditions and is significantly lower than the general adult male population which may double these numbers".[4][12] Additionally, according to Newsweek magazine, the figure in the Catholic Church is similar to that in the rest of the adult population.)
It's a bridge too far.  I respect everyone's religion.  While I certainly don't, in most cases, agree with all their teachings (probably more than not), unless they are Catholic, I don't disrespect them, either.  
The comment in the movie was, in my studied and well versed opinion, a shocked response to all the evil the man "Christo" committed, all his hatred for America, and utter disbelief that a man who proclaimed Jewish faith could be a part of the Islamic EXTREMIST jihad.  It was a commentary that evil can raise itself up in the strangest of places, with no accounting for how or why.  While our current administration is far less supportive of Israel than anyone in our time (perhaps short of Jimmy Carter), America, as a whole has been Israel's greatest friend.  Istrael has also been ours, perhaps second only to Great Britain.  Canada and Australia are up there in the top echelons, as well.  All have at times served their own interests at the expense of American interests.  We, America, have done the same, to our discredit.  But nations, regardless of their place in the world, are run by PEOPLE, humans, with all their failings.  Man has the potential to be truly great, but as J.R.R. Tolkien so aptly put it "a blight in summer, a frost in autumn, and ever does he fail of his seed".  
"Act of Valor" is a great movie, of great men, doing great, valorous, things to make this world a better place... in spite of those who would tarnish their achievements, both on and off the screen, for whatever petty and insecure reason.  I like Pamela Geller, most of the time... this time she fell off the cliff into a pile of manure.  Sometimes academic analysis should be left at home...
Sensitivities sometimes run too high.  Although we are in a dangerous time, a time when many things that were once taken for granted are now in "flux", support in this country for Israel is still VERY high, in spite of the administration's undermining efforts.  I don't think the American people will sit idly by and let our Israeli friends be cast aside.  I just don't believe that.  I also do not believe there was any malicious hidden meaning in the exchange between Senior (Chief) and Christo.  Perhaps I should be outraged at the choosing of a name for the most evil of characters in the movie that could be construed as synonymous with my Lord and Savior...  If there was a slight intended, it hit everyone, equally... well, didn't hit Buddhism, Hinduism, Rastifarianism, Shinto, Baha'i, etc.  Wonder why they got excluded...  Maybe it was just what someone thought might be "comic relief" at a very intense moment.  Maybe it was a poor choice, but that is all it was.

As I mentioned, I have not seen the movie, so I do not really have a personal opinion on the subject.

As far as the American people sitting idly by and letting Israel get destroyed goes, that is not particularly far fetched.  Of the non-Jews I know here in America, a significant majority would not mind to see Israel wiped off the map (as long as their own hands are unbloodied).  As far as our government goes, since we are likely looking at four more years of the current moron-in-chief, it is virtually guaranteed that he will find some ways to harm US-Israel relationship in that time.

ILya
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2012 at 15:17
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

Pam Geller may have her following, but... in my opinion, she has a proclivity to fan flames and as such, I do not follow her blog.

All political commentators fan flames.  It is their job.

Either way, the piece in question was not written by Pamela Geller.

Ilya
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2012 at 15:54
I plan to go see the movie (since I live in a part of MT with a theater...sorry Helo). Kind of puzzling that they could come up with a Jewish billionaire that would side with Islamic jihadists...just sounds like a plot twist that was attempting to be too clever.

I will say one thing re: Obama. While I don't think he as been a great friend of Israel, his administration's efforts to shut down Iran's nuclear weapon development benefits Israel more than anyone else. And if gas prices go up too much in the U.S., that seriously jeopardizes his chances of being re-elected. Frankly, I'm surprised he'd take the risk. (And before anybody jumps all over me about this, take a good look at ALL the candidates running for the Presidency and Congress and ask yourself why, out of 300+ million people, these are the best we can get?)
Reaction time is a factor...
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2012 at 19:13
HERE WE GO AGAIN...

Back on Topic.

Saw it Twice...

Skipped some important things just to see it.

Sat close to someone and we could feel a bond between our emotions.

He had just got back from Afgahn was JSOC something or other...Had a decent little quick but respectable conversation.

KB, did you let your emotions go or did you control them...

I had a few drop.  Was proud of it too...

The mini-gun scene was pretty tight.

They did not do as good as acting wise and I did see a few things that were not correct, but 95% was how it is, not just tacticool...

No one scores that many head shots... That was a little unrealistic...

Yes, you jump and drop to cover it up. I think that is in BT. 

No, you don't think about who you leave at home.

Gets a double thumbs up from me even if they are the wet boys...

NO, way anything happens that fast without transition...

I don't know of any group less possibly one that is that deployable.

All in all a must see for any one.

No one
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2012 at 05:26
Heard about it on the radio talk shows. I'll have to see it. 
Visit the Ed Show
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2012 at 07:14
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

As I mentioned, I have not seen the movie, so I do not really have a personal opinion on the subject.

As far as the American people sitting idly by and letting Israel get destroyed goes, that is not particularly far fetched.  Of the non-Jews I know here in America, a significant majority would not mind to see Israel wiped off the map (as long as their own hands are unbloodied).  As far as our government goes, since we are likely looking at four more years of the current moron-in-chief, it is virtually guaranteed that he will find some ways to harm US-Israel relationship in that time.

ILya

I am one of her staunchest allies... always, every day.  Working constantly to "further" the relationship...

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2012 at 07:25
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

HERE WE GO AGAIN...

Back on Topic.

Saw it Twice...

Skipped some important things just to see it.

Sat close to someone and we could feel a bond between our emotions.

He had just got back from Afgahn was JSOC something or other...Had a decent little quick but respectable conversation.

KB, did you let your emotions go or did you control them...

I had a few drop.  Was proud of it too...

The mini-gun scene was pretty tight.

They did not do as good as acting wise and I did see a few things that were not correct, but 95% was how it is, not just tacticool...

No one scores that many head shots... That was a little unrealistic...

Yes, you jump and drop to cover it up. I think that is in BT. 

No, you don't think about who you leave at home.

Gets a double thumbs up from me even if they are the wet boys...

NO, way anything happens that fast without transition...

I don't know of any group less possibly one that is that deployable.

All in all a must see for any one.

At points, I just let go and "felt the magic"... it was fun.  I tried to analyze from a reality standpoint, but there are still a number of "unknowns" that must be taken into consideration and must remain unknown.  While the scenes were based upon actuals, most DETAILS are still classified, therefore cannot be taken into consideration.  As for the heartrending parts, yeh, I felt it...

Of course, they can't operate that quickly.  Planes don't even coordinate that fast...  However, the credits did state that all the events were taken from various SEAL-team missions. Just from 2001- 2011 all lumped into a couple of days... 10 years in a week.

It was a less than two hour insight into the complexity of lives of guys in special operations.  Their families, etc... hard to capture all that in such a  short time, but I think they did very well.  

None of the actors will get an Oscar, but they didn't "suck"...

scooter65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2012 at 08:16
I saw it on Friday early in the day.  The theater was packed.  I was impressed at the diversity of patrons.  Young and old, male and female, husbands, wives and daughters and many sons.  There were few if any dry eyes in the house at the end of the docu-movie. 

Personally I thought it was an incredible film.  I liked the balance shift, more reality less hollywood acting verses what most of these movies tend to be, mostly acting and little factual reality.  I'm quite shocked at the ballsy-ness of this movie being released.  Not your typical movie from Hollywood.  Americans watch so much crapola reality TV (kar'dittzy'ans - Jersey whores ( I almost vomit as I typed that)) that if this show didn't get every award to be given in hollywood it's a shame.

Our serviceman and women in all ranks deserve nothing but our undying support, admiration and respect for the sacrafices they make.  Those that do not feel that way should packup and move out of our country period.

This film reminds us everyday that we wake up free, go to work, eat decent food and move about our country that we owe our military (and police) a thank you.  So to those of you on this site (the Dans and Marks etc...) that serve / have served / or have family that have, THANKS.  You have enabled us and our families to wake up in a free and safe country everyday. 

We should start a new holiday.  Like 'take your kids to work day' or 'secretary day'.  We need a 'take a serviceman/police to dinner day' and say thanks.  It's the least you can do.  Whats a steak and a beer cost in comparison to your freedom/safety/life.

Edited by scooter65 - February/26/2012 at 08:30
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic