OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scout scope comparison???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scout scope comparison???
    Posted: February/24/2012 at 10:55
Has anyone done a comparison of the available scout scopes in a variety of price ranges? I need to put one on a Marlin 45-70 SBL quickly. I was looking at the new variable from SWFA and Leupold but have not come acoss a review of it yet. I was also thinking about a fixed power scope too. I am just not sure which way I want to go.

Thanks,

Jack
Jack
PaulB84 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 11:52
I'm in the same boat.  Sounds like you're in a hurry.  for a quick fix throw the XS rail on there (if it isnt already) and an aimpoint micro in the factory mount.  My $80 bushnell 1.75-4X extended eye relief in very low rings (I'll get a height for you) I used previously on a slug gun has shown great promise as well.

I'm very interested in the new leupold scounts, as it and the burris are really the only variable power with the proper eye relief for scout setups.

I'm currently playing with the above mentioned setups on my STBL.  I also have an aimpoint 3x magnifier I'm trying to get to work, but all the mounts I've tried so far are too high. 

RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 11:54
Most people say the SS is the best 3-9 made. If your not looking for illumination
Old Mil ftw
lumberjack149 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumberjack149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 12:31
When you say scout scope the first thing that comes to mind is a scope with extra long eye relief which swfa ss has no scope that fits this bill. Something like this  http://swfa.com/Leupold-15-5x33-VX-R-Scout-Scope-P51466.aspx 
When i look at the rifle its going on it appears as if it has a full picatinny top so you could use any "normal" scope and this is what im assuming youre looking for?
lumberjack149 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumberjack149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 12:32
Ah, i think i understand your question now after rereading your post a few times. The scope i posted is the one you were looking for and below is the thread on it. 

jladams View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 13:21
Right, it does have the full scope rail. I was not sure it I tossed a "normal" eye relief scope if I would have issues with hammer clearance, or getting kissed.

Jack
PaulB84 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 13:30
1.  no hammer clearance issues.  You will wanna put the hammer spur extension on that came with the gun. 

2.  yep,  in a traditional mount, with heavy 45-70 loads you'll get bonked

others will tell you different but IMHO a scout setup is the only way to run an optic on a guide gun. 

eliminates scope eye and maintains the snap shooting ability that makes the gun what it is

jladams View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 13:35
Thanks, Paul. That is what I was thinking.
Jack
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic