OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

best scope under 1500 for bolt action 308

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaltb4k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best scope under 1500 for bolt action 308
    Posted: February/24/2012 at 08:16
hey folks,i love the swfa ratings,but i dont see anything newer than 2009.i was hoping to get some opinions from those that have actually used scopes and can recommend off of experiences.i have a remington 700 308 with 5r rifling and need a new scope for it.i really like the illuminated reticle(mildot preferable) and will be shooting out to 1000yds.i want to buy 1 scope that wont leave me wanting another in 6 months.any thoughts?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 08:21
SWFA SS 5-20...... nuff said
SWFA SS 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope Illuminated Mil Quad SWFA SS 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SSHD520X50MQI
  • Patented First Focal Plane Illuminated Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm
  • HD Model
  • Locking Ocular Adjustment
  • 0.1 Mrad Elevation & Windage
  • 10 Mils Per Revolution
  • 30 Mils Of Total Travel
  • Side Focus
$1,499.95 
Add SWFA SS 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories :

Buy once, cry once. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 08:22
-Matt
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 08:23
Na Na  to slow BB
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 08:24
Dang it SVT and your ninja fingers.

Cussing
-Matt
jaltb4k View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaltb4k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 08:27
that seems to be a popular choice!have you guys used this before?i must admit......even though im not a brand lover.....i would wonder how this stacks up to a nightforce or a zeiss conquest.what do you guys thinks?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 08:30
I've only handled the 5-20 for a few short minutes... BigDaddy wouldn't let me take it home with me (even though I DID leave Elvira with him...).  My brief encounter confirmed that it was at least the build quality of my 10xHD, good glass, good positive "feel" in the turrets, looks and feels rugged and in line with every SS product I have ever encountered.  I would have one, but I am "overscoped" right now.  Too many scopes, not enough rifles.  I working on that...

The SS5-20 should definitely be on the list for any consideration of a tactical long range rifle.  There are others out there that are equal and some better, but not for the price.  With the SS, you get a TRUE VALUE...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 08:31
It is my next scope purchase.  haven't heard a bad thing about them.

-Matt
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 08:53
Originally posted by jaltb4k jaltb4k wrote:

that seems to be a popular choice!have you guys used this before?i must admit......even though im not a brand lover.....i would wonder how this stacks up to a nightforce or a zeiss conquest.what do you guys thinks?
Sure  have, I have one on my 300 win mag glass is better than any NF i've looked through or owned.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 13:31
The SS 5-20 is a good solid choice, but for me it is not going to replace my Nightforce 3.5-15 on my 308 5R. 15x is plenty on top for anything I am going to shoot and I want more FOV than a 5x offers on the low end. Glass on both is very good.

Also something to consider is how much elevation adjustment you will need. I am positive both the SS and the NF will meet what ever you will need, but the Zeiss Conquest very well might not have enough for you.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 14:27
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

It is my next scope purchase.  haven't heard a bad thing about them.

Love LL's reviews. That AI rifle is smooth!!  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 14:48
I have one on my 300 wm. One of the best scopes for the value, and for what you want to do, it is what I recommend.

Glass is excellent, built is excellent. Tracts perfectly so far at the ranges I have shot at. Feels and clicks are just how I like them, and I LOVE the reticle.

Buy the SS and don't look back.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
ChrisChrip57 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisChrip57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2014 at 03:48
Sightron SIII SS 30mm Tube 10-50x60 Side Focus Riflescope

and
Sightron SIII SS 1050x60 LRIRSIL 30mm Rifle Scope.

Both are good.  The above may be your favorite.Bandito

Edited by koshkin - February/25/2014 at 12:15
ChrisChrip57 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisChrip57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2014 at 03:51
Sightron SIII SS 30mm Tube 10-50x60 Side Focus Rifle scope

and Sightron SIII SS 1050x60 LRIRSIL 30mm Rifle Scope.

Both are good.  The above may be your favorite.Bandito

Edited by koshkin - February/25/2014 at 12:15
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2014 at 12:12
While I like Sightron scopes, the 10-50x60 is not a good option for shooting that far away owing to insufficient adjustment range for extended distances.

Go with the SS 5-20x50.

ILya
mtank View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2014 at 14:50
Since you brought up Zeiss. I have a conquest hd5 5x25x50 w/rapid z800. Super clear scope. I have this sitting on a browning a bolt 30/06. I purchased the gun and scope from the same place. The salesman told me I had to much scope but I'm very pleased. For about $300-$400 less it would be hard to pass up. Not to mention the Zeiss lifetime warranty and great customer service.
verminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2014 at 03:04
any body done a back to back test between the zeiss HD5 5-25x50 and the S.W.F.A 5-20X50Yippee
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic