OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

300 Win. Short Mag

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 300 Win. Short Mag
    Posted: February/23/2012 at 12:04
Who's got one? What can you tell me about it? Likes? Dislikes? Thanks.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2012 at 12:17
I have a browning Mountain TI in 300 WSM.  Kicks like a mule, shoots well though.  It seems easy to load for.  First bullet I tried it shot right at 1 inch at 100 yards. 

Really all around I think it is a great caliber.  Short action, lots of bullet choices, lots of power, could be used for a lot of different game.  Has the potential to be a great 1000 yard + caliber with the right rifle. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2012 at 12:21
180gr accubond with 69gr H4831sc @ 2875fps.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2012 at 12:32
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I have a browning Mountain TI in 300 WSM.  Kicks like a mule, shoots well though.  It seems easy to load for.  First bullet I tried it shot right at 1 inch at 100 yards. 

Really all around I think it is a great caliber.  Short action, lots of bullet choices, lots of power, could be used for a lot of different game.  Has the potential to be a great 1000 yard + caliber with the right rifle. 
what yours weigh do you know?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2012 at 12:40
With scope 7 lbs
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2012 at 18:10
Tikka T3 stainless synthetic  Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 rapid Z800.
I just love this cartridge for reloading it loads almost as easy as a .308 one does usually have to trim the case every time or two but I never have issues with lube denting the shoulder like I do with some calibers and it has plenty of power.  So long as you are behind the gun its great get off to the side where you catch the muzzle blast and it is ferocious so I would not want to put any type of muzzle break on one. I am not recoil sensitive in fact I enjoy it and have a certain lack of interest in calibers that have little recoil. If I could only own one caliber the 300 WSM or its second cousin the 300 Win Mag which both have almost identical balistics would be my choice. The are awesome long range rifles without the vicious price tag that is attached to ultra long range ammo.  The tikka is a very light weight very portable rifle so recoil is heavier than with a heavy rifle but I find my heavy 300 Win Mag gets less use that its lighter weight brothers. Really if you reload this is such a versitile caliber where the factory loads are a very generic 180 grain. I have all kinds of stuff loaded for it to play with and mostly shoot 190 SMK but I have 125 Noslers and 200 gr LRX Long Range X bullet from Barnes loaded for it and it seems to like everything. I have hears of some of them not likeing the light bullets though. I think a 200 gr Accubond or a 200 gr LRX Barnes should smoke just about any critter you come across in North America.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2012 at 14:37

Thanks for the info guys.  I'm going to be picking one up shortly for my new hunting rig.  Details to follow.  I'm pretty excited about it.  I think its going to be in the 6lb range with scope so it should be great for what I wanted it to be. 

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2012 at 14:41
Very kewl.  6lbs huh.  You should know it when you pull the trigger.  Big Grin

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2012 at 14:46
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Very kewl.  6lbs huh.  You should know it when you pull the trigger.  Big Grin
I'm up for the challenge, should be nice and sharp, Kickboxer will be proud
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2012 at 14:49
Sounds interesting.  Will be waiting on specs.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2012 at 14:55
I shot 30 rounds from mine 7lb at the bench one day working up loads.  I was really feeling it about half way through. 

The worst part about these light weight magnums is how quick the barrel heats up.  I would shoot 3 shots and then wait 20 to 30 min for the barrel to cool.  Took me most of the day to work up a load.    

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2012 at 15:00

I'm hoping its as easy to load for as Wes indicated.  Thinking the 150gr class will be the best weights for me around here.  Then when i go off find a 180gr or 200 gr that shoots well.

Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2012 at 15:31
Graham's gun will be the Ultimate Lightweight Remington Model 700 Titanium which is no longer manufactured. This features a titanium action mated to a 22" Shilen stainless steel barrel with an integrated muzzle brake, a spiral fluted bolt, Jewell trigger set at 2 lbs, and a carbon-fiber composite stock. It weighs only 5 1/2 lbs and is chambered in 300 WSM.

One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2012 at 15:37
Thanks CFII.  can't wait to get it next weekend and kill a blackbuck with it I hope!
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2012 at 16:09
That will work nice.  5.5lb, hope you can carry that G.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2012 at 16:20
What u scoping it with?

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2012 at 16:29
Thats up in the air right now.  CFII said he had something I can use for this hunt but I'm thinking for a permant scope a swaro z3 or zeiss or something along those lines.  .  I'd like to put a Z5 3.5-18 with the Ballistic Turret on it or something that I can somewhat dial in with but I think with its trajectory I could just as easy do kentucky windage and be ok.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2012 at 16:45
I think the 3-10 Z3 w/ BRH would be just the ticket.
-Matt
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2012 at 16:48
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

I think the 3-10 Z3 w/ BRH would be just the ticket.
I said Swaro 3-10x42 also. Bucky
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2012 at 16:56
I am found of the 1.7-10x myself.  Wink  Its just right for the 300 wsm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic