OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

A HEARTY RECOMMENDATION

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpdtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A HEARTY RECOMMENDATION
    Posted: February/22/2012 at 22:47
I'm new here, and I had a truly great and unusual experience today that I would like to share with the members !

I am lucky to own two really fantastic pairs of binoculars. One is the Swarovski SLC 10X42. The other pair is the magnificent East German border guards Zeiss 7X40 EDF. The latter has an infared detection device in the left tube and an illuminated rangefinder in the right. I bought these from Duetche Optik about 20 years ago. They have been lightly used, never dropped or abused in any way. Recently the left tube became all black rendering them useless. I was prepared to send them for repair as I could not find a solution to the problem. On advice from Duetche Optik I called Dan at Mountain Optics. He immediately asked if I had the binoculars in my hand. He then told me to tip the binoculars to the right and then turn the diopter fully clockwise. This locked the reticle open and after a slight turn back counterclockwise my beloved Zeiss EDFs were perfect again ! A quick fix and all free !

This is truly an example of old fashioned customer service ! Another repair facility in the East had estimated the repair at $75 plus shipping ! Dan was happy to help on the phone and obviously knew what he was doing . He told me he had been working with optics for 25 years and had a years worth of work lined up. Woukd I return to  and recommend him ? Of course !

Regards,

Tom Danahey

Removed competitor link.

Edited by Roy Finn - February/23/2012 at 07:44
black crow View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black crow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2012 at 07:27
Thanks, I'll book mark that one. I always try and support great customer service with my business. 
“The moment one gives close attention to anything, even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious, awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself”
― Henry Miller
G Kurtz View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Kurtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2012 at 07:56
Great story mr tpdtom!
This is how it should be: people doing their job with knowledge, love and pride, thus enjoying every single day of their work. Which is far more important than money. To become rich is not "glorious" at all. Just NOT to be poor is the point.
A+
K
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2012 at 19:52
Just for grins I called them today.  One of the two Tasco 400 International porros I have needs a new ocular lens.  I've been calling a few places and when I ask if they work on Tascos and there is this telephone conversation equivalent  of a blank stare and I get something like..."uuuhhhhh Tascos are so cheap they can't even be taken apart",  or some such baloney.  This guy knew right off the top of his head what they were and that Tasco did indeed make some excellent binoculars.  Yes, he could work on them.  He's by Flathead Lake in Montana, which is a lot closer to me than some places I called.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2012 at 15:44
Cool.  One has got to be old to remember when Tasco wasn't bad stuff.....      Whatever
Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic