OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Concealed carry?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2012 at 13:46
Another place to go that has some good info is the Sig Forum. I have both semi autos and revolvers. Depends on what and where I am going to be.

http://sigforum.com
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2012 at 14:25
I never carry a gunWhistling
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2012 at 14:32
key word there "a"
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2012 at 14:37
What were we talkin about?Stare
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2012 at 15:51
I'm not going to talk about what or how I carry (if I did). I'm not going to talk about revolver vs auto, or caliber x vs caliber y. I might talk about times past and experience, but mainly, I'll talk theory (and we've done this before). I carried concealed at a time when it was illegal in my state to do so except for certain occupations, and I was required to do so in my occupation. The only times I didn't carry was when I was at home, or I wasn't wearing underware; at least thats what I'd tell my friends when they asked me if I was carrying. I've had some bad experiences while carrying, but none bad enough to prevent me from being here today, but they were educational. I've also heard from others in my occupation and their experiences. I can't cover everyting in one post, so I'm not going to try. I'll just post when I can.
One thing I will say now, just having a gun doesn't guarantee victory in a gunfight. And from there I have to goHowdy
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2012 at 16:05
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

And I know some say that you shouldn't carry the 1911 with the hammer cocked, but I think that is stupid to carry without a round in the chamber.  I run cocked, safety on.  That gun will be ready right when I need it.

Cocked and locked....100% agree. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2012 at 19:01
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

You guys are toooo vicious for me...

HA!  if you'll do this to a poor defensless tree what will you do to a bad guy? or the first guy your daughter brings home from collegeShocked

Thanks for the laugh SVT. It was a good call. Its all good KB. Oh, As someone who deals with a fair amount of timber. I'd stay away from the weak tree and wind reasoning.Wink
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2012 at 19:41
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

.One thing I will say now, just having a gun doesn't guarantee victory in a gunfight.

I will readily agree with that statement!  But not having a gun in a gun fight GUARANTEES loosing it!

LOL!
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2012 at 19:52

Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I prefer to carry concealed as I get plenty of open carry on duty at work.  To me its not about the right to open carry its that I do not wish to give myself away until I need to pull it. 
My thoughts have always been if I pull it out. I'm gonna use it. 
Smoking Bandit
Well as a civilian that may be the plan, but I can assure you that there was seldom a month when I was a police officer in Texas that I did not have to draw a pistol on somebody to control the situation and prevent anyone from being hurt.  Now Iowa seems to be a different story but we do have a few dangerous people here also. One just is not allowed to shoot everyone who needs to be shot, so sometimes it is better to have a show of force to allow you to create distance or control the threat without having to kill someone.  Speaking as someone who has had to shoot a bad guy in the commission of a felony - there is a lot of worry and grief involved even when you are right. Do that as a civilian and you may spend all you have in attorneys fees - so unless its really clear cut like a felony in progress the better part of valor may be to avoid the conflict.  laws vary by state significantly.   The choice go go armed is a life time commitment to avoidance and de-escalation of conflict. Unfortunately situations can occur where you get sucked into a problem and have to deal with dangerous people and when you do; to survive it you must be agressive enough quickly enough. Creating distance is your friend.  

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2012 at 20:07
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Ya, there are those that are obsessed with trying to conceal and do so without regard to....you know...actually being able to get to the damn firearm quickly and firing, in the regrettable event that they ever have to.   
Straps, in the small of the back, in your underwear carry, chest rigs, release buttons...blah blah. Even in states where open carry is legal, like most of my state, NC. 

First thing on my list is quick access to the gun......Concealment ranks dead last on my list, but I like to keep it covered when I can, but NEVER at the expense of speed of deployment. When sh*t goes down, I feel like I'm already going to be behind the curve, in most cases. Add to the fact that I'm using a handgun, which isn't the best personal defense platform to start with. It's a distant 3rd behind a rifle and shotgun, at least in my case.  

Bill Roger's said during a class I attended once that, "Gunfights are won and lost, not in seconds, but in fractions of seconds".         

Pratice, Pratice, Pratice drawing from where ever you carry. Pratice drawing empty so you develope good habits of clearing yourself before bearing down on the trigger. You can't know if you will be the focus of an attacker, where suprise and quick response puts you back in control. Or if you have to come to the defense of another. I prefer concealed because it gives me the choice of when and how I respond. When I was in the gunshop it was a given that I was carrying whether It was visible or not. In that situation I expected to be the focus of an aggresor. In public I want to appear bland and unassuming. The days of being the "Big Dog" no longer appeal to me. Not saying that anyone here is projecting that.
Whatever I carry I prefer it be double action, one in the pipe hammer down. Safeties are for single actions hammer back and can get you hurt in a rush. Unless you Pratice, Pratice, Pratice.
I prefer the Beretta 357sig ( you know it Dan) and the CZ82 9X18 has really impressed me. Hornady makes defense rounds for it and they are worthy. For most women and any men who just can't or don't get to the range "often" a revolver is the most reliable choice, .38 or larger preferably. The thing I try to stress to new gun owners is the responsibility of learning their weapon. I tell them to imagine themselves being a bystander in a gun fight where one is a paniced attacker and the other is a good guy blasting away more paniced than the attacker. I've seen guys keep thier head, some freeze and others totally loose it. An armed public is ideal but, the unpraticed citizen is a potential disaster. One of my greatest concerns in combat and at home is loosing focus of whats beyond my target. I want to defeat my enemy but not at the expence of a Mom, Dad or child who happened to be there. If your gonna carry it you've got to do everything in your power to be worthy of it.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2012 at 20:28
Originally posted by scarface_usmc scarface_usmc wrote:

Semi-auto Vs. Revolver, Hammer Vs. Hammerless. Differnt holsters? Any thoughts? Couldn't find a thread Dedicated to these here arguments. Figured I'd throw a bone out for my good friends here to gnaw on, along with searching some questions of my own. Your floor go.

I prefer a hammer for pratice purposes but for pocket carry and for women I recomend hammerless to prevent snagging or hangups in a rush. Most hammerless guns are not gonna be good target guns and they do require a good bit of range time to get accustom to trigger travel and pull weight. Their most effective range is gonna be 10ft. or less and shooting from the hip. Aiming belly guns is a luxuary that most situations don't allow.
Holsters are a hard call because of personal preference. I prefer shoulder or inside the pants but honestly even they are a nusence most of the time. After being in the gunshop I am more conditioned to carrying but nothing so comfortable that I forget I have it on.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2012 at 22:02
what do you guys think of Ruger's LCP/9/R?
take em!
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 07:43

I prefer to carry concealed as I get plenty of open carry on duty at work.  To me its not about the right to open carry its that I do not wish to give myself away until I need to pull it. 
My thoughts have always been if I pull it out. I'm gonna use it. 
Smoking Bandit
Well as a civilian that may be the plan, but I can assure you that there was seldom a month when I was a police officer in Texas that I did not have to draw a pistol on somebody to control the situation and prevent anyone from being hurt.  Now Iowa seems to be a different story but we do have a few dangerous people here also. One just is not allowed to shoot everyone who needs to be shot, so sometimes it is better to have a show of force to allow you to create distance or control the threat without having to kill someone.  Speaking as someone who has had to shoot a bad guy in the commission of a felony - there is a lot of worry and grief involved even when you are right. Do that as a civilian and you may spend all you have in attorneys fees - so unless its really clear cut like a felony in progress the better part of valor may be to avoid the conflict.  laws vary by state significantly.   The choice go go armed is a life time commitment to avoidance and de-escalation of conflict. Unfortunately situations can occur where you get sucked into a problem and have to deal with dangerous people and when you do; to survive it you must be agressive enough quickly enough. Creating distance is your friend.  
I agree 100% with what you said here Wes,  thing about it is if i have to pull it, i'm gonna use it.  BUT! for me to pull it I'm going to know 100% the threat of my safety or my families is unavoidable
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 08:18
SVT=Francis in "Stripes"...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 08:22
never seen it.  that a compliment or are you picking on me again...Bucky
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 08:35

never seen it.  that a compliment or are you picking on me again...Bucky

watch the movie... you'll love it... Bill Murray at his best

picking on you, of course... you are so EASY....
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 11:08
Comments from Rancid, KB, Sarge D, and others here, carry a LOT more weight too me, than those comments from others, like me, who have not wielded a weapon while in harms way. 
These guys have lived the life. I covet their experience.  

What I'm witnessing at my local range are a bunch of would be pistoleers running around shooting up mag after mag, devil may care, into a 25 yard berm at paper targets, orange clays and sometimes even balloons. Bucky
90%, are DEVOID of any proper shooting techniques, stances, accuracy or acceptable weapon handling skills...and please don't get me started on basic firearms safety, which I consider abysmal out there.   
Ya'll are HORRIBLE !!!!!!! Whacko Wink 

IF...these range rat plinkers ever found themselves in a "Situation" and had to defend their lives with a pistol, I shudder to think about the possible outcome. Under stress, as Rancid eluded to, the first thing that goes is a persons fine motor skills. These folks I'm seeing can't properly handle a pistol at the range, let alone when everything is going South.   

Now, I freely admit that I'm a "work in progress" on my pistol shooting skills and I've got a ways to go, I've not "arrived", but I've made it a point to get the best training available to me and do try and practice my draw, reloads, sight picture, malfunction drills, etc. on a regular basis, and then shoot my pistol once a month. I wish it were more.
At the house, I draw and dry fire my G19 several times a week. Shooting skill is a perishable commodity, I once read and I firmly believe that. 
Even though I try to run gun drills often, I'm quite sure that if and when I'm faced with a life or death situation, I'll be LESS PROFICIENT in that scenario, then I am at the range or standing in my room in my underwear doing dry fire, trigger control practice. Big Grin 

The pistol is the hardest weapon to master, in my mind. Shotgun and rifle proficiency generally comes more natural to most people. At least it did too me. It's easier to get "hits" with those 2. Probably why the worlds military's use the rifle as it's primary weapon and not a pistol. 

My advice to those that carry a side arm is to attend a local training class and learn the BASICS. I've been to 5 or 6 classes, some better than others, but I've always learned something. Then, attend other advanced classes and get better. 
As inept as a pistol is as a personal defense weapon, it's probably going to be the one most civilians have to go to if you are outside your house and have to defend yourself or your family. You owe it to yourself and your family to be the best you can be.  

Edited by cheaptrick - February/24/2012 at 11:27
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 11:44
Good post Cheap.  The more classes I take, the more I realize I don't know nothin.  And the more I realize I gotta keep taking tactics classes.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 11:47
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Comments from Rancid, KB, Sarge D, and others here, carry a LOT more weight too me, than those comments from others, like me, who have not wielded a weapon while in harms way. 
These guys have lived the life. I covet their experience.  

Their comments carry enough weight that it would break a lesser mans jaw?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2012 at 11:57
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Good post Cheap.  The more classes I take, the more I realize I don't know nothin.  .  

EXACTLY! You made me point for me. 

Graham, I don't dismiss anybody else's experience, but if the subject is "combat", when those that have actually been there are talking, I like to be listening. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic