OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Concealed carry?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarface_usmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Concealed carry?
    Posted: February/22/2012 at 14:46
Semi-auto Vs. Revolver, Hammer Vs. Hammerless. Differnt holsters? Any thoughts? Couldn't find a thread Dedicated to these here arguments. Figured I'd throw a bone out for my good friends here to gnaw on, along with searching some questions of my own. Your floor go.
"keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2012 at 14:53
Different situations mean i carry different guns.  Main carry is a CZ PO7 Duty in 9mm.  Rides in a nice Knull IWB holster.  I carry it with the decocker lever installed vs the SA safety installed.  When I'm in dress clothes I carry a S&W wheelgun on my ankle in a nice holster.  The only other gun i sometimes carry is my colt 1903 pocket hammerless, this one will fit nicely under a belt but with the muzzle in the "5th" pocket of a pair of jeans.  When i'm just running out to the store to grab something or walking the dog thats normally what I do.
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2012 at 15:03

Depends on where i'm going, what season it is, etc, similar to what SVT said above. I've started to open carry some. With places like Starbucks and other limp wristed liberal groups pushing their agenda on carry laws, i'll make sure i excersice my right as i see fit. I know some completely disagree with the open carry concept, but at the end of the day it is a right and it shall not be infringed upon...at least in PA....and many other states for that matter.

I've not once, to this point been asked to leave a place of business. Hell, i've had a couple of older folks ask me why i was carrying a gun that looked like something out of star trek Big GrinWink (my .40 XDM). Hardly anyone has said anything and the few that have, are curious and thank me for being responsible.

If people don't like it, i personally don't care. That might come off as prickish, but it's my stance and i believe firmly in my rights and take the responsibility of carrying very seriously.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2012 at 16:35
Glock 33 (.357Sig)  mean and easy to conceal.  With Georgia Arms "canned heat" ammo, it is quite a barn burner...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2012 at 17:37
Whatever you carry, spend the time and money to get a holster that fits the gun and you.

I couldn't tell you how many idiots I see adjusting their guns because the holster is a cheapo Uncle Mike's with a clip on the belt or similar.

Carry what you know well and are confident in and comfortable with.  When it is needed, training is all you get, brain shuts everything else off.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2012 at 18:30
Originally posted by shooter07 shooter07 wrote:

Depends on where i'm going, what season it is, etc, similar to what SVT said above. I've started to open carry some. With places like Starbucks and other limp wristed liberal groups pushing their agenda on carry laws, i'll make sure i excersice my right as i see fit. I know some completely disagree with the open carry concept, but at the end of the day it is a right and it shall not be infringed upon...at least in PA....and many other states for that matter.

I've not once, to this point been asked to leave a place of business. Hell, i've had a couple of older folks ask me why i was carrying a gun that looked like something out of star trek Big GrinWink (my .40 XDM). Hardly anyone has said anything and the few that have, are curious and thank me for being responsible.

If people don't like it, i personally don't care. That might come off as prickish, but it's my stance and i believe firmly in my rights and take the responsibility of carrying very seriously.

When I "open carry" and people ask about/comment about it, I merely tell them I am there for their protection and safety...  never had anyone follow up after that. 

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2012 at 19:05
Comp Tac straight paddle holster and a Glock 19. Formerly carried a G17 and Comp Tac paddle holster. 
I can't recommend Comp Tac holsters enough. 

Carried a 1911 Kimber Tac Custom 2 in Safari Land holster for a spell.   

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2012 at 19:25
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Originally posted by shooter07 shooter07 wrote:

When I "open carry" and people ask about/comment about it, I merely tell them I am there for their protection and safety...  never had anyone follow up after that. 

Yeah, like i said it's been a rare occasion for someone to ask me what i'm carrying for (i can count on one hand the # of times it's happned) and i keep it short and sweet. I'm sure it turns off some people and makes them uneasy but really, i feel like i'm being a better citizen by my actions. Some don't agree and that's their right. But in this day in age, where political correctness rules all, i think there are many responsible gun owners who are "affraid" to carry due to being viewed as a nut.

And that's a dangerous slope to be on as a society.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2012 at 19:49
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Whatever you carry, spend the time and money to get a holster that fits the gun and you.

And a proper gun belt.

Do you guys use some kind of retention holster when you open carry?
I have seen a few guys with their gun's carried open in holsters/positions that appeared extremely vulnerable to a gun grab.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2012 at 19:56
I prefer to carry concealed as I get plenty of open carry on duty at work.  To me its not about the right to open carry its that I do not wish to give myself away until I need to pull it. I have carried many different pistols as I started in law enforcement when revolvers were the duty gun and automatics were thought of as somewhat un-reliable or not suited to police work. The semi autos of that era were Colt 1911, Browning Hi Power 9mm and S&W  39 &59  9mm. Typically revolvers use more powerful cartridges than semi auto pistols.  While placing the cold steel of a 38 J frame against someones neck will get their attention; pistols in general do not get the respect that a shotgun does.  While all calibers are capable of killing I prefer large powerful cartridges that are more likely to stop an armed agressor. The old sayin that if it does not have a 4 or a 5 in the name of the cartridge it is not adequate has only one exception - 10mm which is a fine cartridge that has not gained wide acceptance.  I think the best holsters are inside the pants holsters and prefer Milt Sparks since Bruce Nelson is dead and am grateful that a few of his designs live on. I believe in the old saying that real cops learned from the SLA - they carry an extra box of bullets in their briefcase. Most of you younger than I will have to google that to understand fully. I also believe that there is little substitute for having a rifle or shotgun no further away than your car.  While I currently carry a Glock 35 (40S&W) I am quite comfortable with most high quality handguns. I believe in carrying enough ammo to have some left when the bad guys run out. Practice shooting as often as possible but realize that undere extreme stress everything just turns bad and your training will kick in so both hands on the pistol out at arms lenght use the sights and shoot true. There is nothing quite as irresponsible as shooting someone you did not intend to shoot so try to realize what is behind the bad guy. Avoid confrontations if possible.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2012 at 21:03
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I prefer to carry concealed as I get plenty of open carry on duty at work.  To me its not about the right to open carry its that I do not wish to give myself away until I need to pull it. 
My thoughts have always been if I pull it out. I'm gonna use it. 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2012 at 21:08
You guys are toooo vicious for me...

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2012 at 21:19
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

You guys are toooo vicious for me...

HA!  if you'll do this to a poor defensless tree what will you do to a bad guy? or the first guy your daughter brings home from collegeShocked

R H Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2012 at 22:05
The first thing is to decide what you are able to conceal and carry at "all" times. If it isn't comfortable chances are you will eventually just leave it in the car. Where you live and how you dress as well as your body size will all factor into that decision.

I want as light as possible for caliber,sweat proof,and without a safety to fumble with when dexterity goes south.

In the winter I usually carry a Glock 36 inside the waist band with a shirt covering on my strong side.I agree a quality holster is a must. In summer I carry a Kahr P380 in a front pocket holster.The Kahr is great for shorts and light  T shirts.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2012 at 23:10
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

To me its not about the right to open carry its that I do not wish to give myself away until I need to pull it. 

Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2012 at 04:29
The notion about "giving yourself away" is a bit overblown in my opinion. Just about every crook that goes in to rob a place or cause trouble, etc, doesn't have the intent to shoot or kill. Does it happen? Absolutely, but it's rare based on the number of crimes that happen every day in this country.

The only argument the anti open carry crowd has is that is paints you as a target. While that may be true on a small scale, i firmly believe that having a gun in plain sight is much, much more of a deterant than a sign on my back that says shoot me first. Look at the number of crimes committed in this country and then correlate it to armed crimes and then actual use of a deadly weapon. Most people have zero intention of going all the way. I tend to believe that if a person is on the fence and they see a person(s) armed, it gives them pause. Do i really want to go through with this? What if i miss? Who is that guy? Etc, etc. It adds doubt and causes hesitation to almost every person meaning to do something wrong...

The worst crime rates in this country reside in places where you can barely even own a firearm, let alone carry it. Cops carry in plain sight and most people aren't walking into a place and doing something illegal with an armed cop standing by. A person in plain clothes, armed, isn't much different. It's a psychological factor that really makes sense, i think.

And again, FTR, i don't open carry much. I simply believe that having a gun in plain sight deters many, many more than the other way around. Just my .02
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2012 at 05:40
Ya, there are those that are obsessed with trying to conceal and do so without regard to....you know...actually being able to get to the damn firearm quickly and firing, in the regrettable event that they ever have to.   
Straps, in the small of the back, in your underwear carry, chest rigs, release buttons...blah blah. Even in states where open carry is legal, like most of my state, NC. 

First thing on my list is quick access to the gun......Concealment ranks dead last on my list, but I like to keep it covered when I can, but NEVER at the expense of speed of deployment. When sh*t goes down, I feel like I'm already going to be behind the curve, in most cases. Add to the fact that I'm using a handgun, which isn't the best personal defense platform to start with. It's a distant 3rd behind a rifle and shotgun, at least in my case.  

Bill Roger's said during a class I attended once that, "Gunfights are won and lost, not in seconds, but in fractions of seconds".         

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2012 at 05:47
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Carry what you know well and are confident in and comfortable with.  When it is needed, training is all you get, brain shuts everything else off.

Pretty much sums it up.  
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2012 at 08:02
It was defective and the wind was blowing, Graham...

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2012 at 09:31
I primarily carry my 1911 Compact 45 ACP.  I have carried SoB, IWB and just a regular high ride inside the jacket.  Not a huge fan of IWB.

Once I get more time with it, I may carry the PPS 40 I got.

And I know some say that you shouldn't carry the 1911 with the hammer cocked, but I think that is stupid to carry without a round in the chamber.  I run cocked, safety on.  That gun will be ready right when I need it.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic