OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Good setup for 1000 yards? HELP I'm a noob.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGTMyersUSArmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good setup for 1000 yards? HELP I'm a noob.
    Posted: February/21/2012 at 20:07
I'm currently working a contract in Afghanistan and I've been saving pennies for a while now.  I have a Remington 700 VLS in .308 that I'm looking to upgrade.  After tons of research I have settled on an optics setup that I think will get the job done and not destroy my bank account and make my wife divorce me in the process Wink...

SWFA SS 5-20x50mm
SWFA SS-Tac 30mm Rings
EGW HD Picatinny Rail 1 Piece Scope Mount 20 MOA

I have had my action bedded and barrel free-floated and the rifle prints 1/2" groups at 100 yards all day long with my little Nikon Prostaff 3-9x50.  All this will run me about $1400 from swfa.com, and is JUST under my budget.  You guys are pros, tell me what you think?  Thanks!
Kurt Myers
Kandahar, Afghanistan
Rem 700 VLS .308
Dan Wesson Valor .45 ACP
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 20:19
The scope will get ou to 1,000 yards.

Be advised, 1,000 yard shot ain't nearly as easy as the internet makes it look/sound.

I recommend you work at 300-600 yards till you are proficient. If you go from 100 to 1,000, you'll be setting yourself up for disappointment.

Learn the fundamentals, master the fundamentals, get very good at wind calling, and shoot. Allot.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
SGTMyersUSArmy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGTMyersUSArmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 20:20
Here's a pic of my baby...
Kurt Myers
Kandahar, Afghanistan
Rem 700 VLS .308
Dan Wesson Valor .45 ACP
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 20:21
Nice stick. Welcome to Optics Talk. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 20:22
Your selected setup should get the job done nicely.  The SS 5-20 is a good scope and hard to beat for the cost.  The adjustments are accurate and repeatable.  The rings and base you picked will work fine.  Welcome to the OT forums and welcome to the addiction that is Long Range Shooting.

Come home safe Brother!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGTMyersUSArmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 20:22
Oh I'm not a noob when it comes to shooting!  Just at building a 1000 yard rifle.  I've already had success at 500 yards with the rifle as-is.  I could probably use a little more practice at doping wind, but fundamentals I'm doing just fine...  :)  Glad to hear my setup will be sufficient.
Kurt Myers
Kandahar, Afghanistan
Rem 700 VLS .308
Dan Wesson Valor .45 ACP
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGTMyersUSArmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 20:25
And thank you for the warm welcome!  Hope you are all prepared for the plethora of annoying questions I'll have... Big Grin
Kurt Myers
Kandahar, Afghanistan
Rem 700 VLS .308
Dan Wesson Valor .45 ACP
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 20:49
Welcome to the OT! From a fellow vet to another, stay safe over there and thank you for your service. I spent many a days/nights in the Kandahar region back in the day.

I agree with everything that has been said so far as well. You've definitely got the setup to get out to 1K. Beautiful rifle. Practice will refine your skillset at the extreme distances.

God speed bro.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 21:42
Welcome aboard Sgt Myers.  Stay safe.  Thank you for all you do...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic