OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Trijicon 3-9x40 dot size?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trijicon 3-9x40 dot size?
    Posted: February/20/2012 at 12:17
Could anyone please let me know what size does the dot on a Trijicon 3-9x40 Crosshair or Mil Dot Cross Hair have?
Or what I am mostly interested in is how big would the dot be at 100m?

CHARLIE DON'T SURF!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2012 at 12:37
Are you asking about the dot diameter of the mil dots or the center crosshair?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Tranan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2012 at 13:07
I am asking about the illuminated dot in the centre cross hair.
CHARLIE DON'T SURF!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2012 at 13:15
There is really no "dot" but the center of the crosshairs is illuminated.  It is minimal, no blooming, just the cross hair intersection.

I had the 5-20 with mil dot reticle and liked the illumination for night time hunting.  I closed the fiber optic window and had no illumination during full light.  

Are you looking for bright in full light or just enough to shoot in low light?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Tranan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2012 at 13:54
That I am perfectly aware of but the reason I want to know how big "the dot is" is in order to have a clear idea about how much it would cover the different kinds of targets at 100m.
What I understood so far was that the size of the dot is between 1.3-.4 MOA, which I guess means that when its on its brightest level it is 1.3 MOA while at the lowest level 0.4 MOA. The reticle beeing in the second image plane it should normally mean that the size of the dot will be the same regardless of how many m I am looking at.
Am I getting this right? Will it therefore be safe to say that the size of the "dot" on 100m will be none other than 1.3MOA att full power and 0.4MOA at low power?
CHARLIE DON'T SURF!
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2012 at 14:08
Are you talking about this scope?

http://swfa.com/Trijicon-3-9x40-Accu-Point-Rifle-Scope-P12874.asp

The illuminated center dot at 3x it is 1.3MOA and at 9x it is 0.4MOA according to the factory literature.
Tranan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2012 at 14:41
Yes, that is the scope.
Now, this is something I don't understand: "How can the dot grow with the magnification when the reticle is in the second focal plane?" I thought those numbers had to do with the brightness.
CHARLIE DON'T SURF!
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2012 at 17:08
Originally posted by Tranan Tranan wrote:

Yes, that is the scope.
Now, this is something I don't understand: "How can the dot grow with the magnification when the reticle is in the second focal plane?" I thought those numbers had to do with the brightness.

There isn't really a DOT in the middle of the crosshairs.  Its a standard mildot crosshair but when you have the fiber optics exposed on the rear of the scope a green dot appears in the middle.  The more of the fiber optics on the rear of the scope you expose to light, the brighter the dot in the middle gets.  Think of the cover on the fiber optics on the rear of your scope like an illuminated reticle dial ... you just turning it up and down in brightness without batteries.  It works really well.   
Tranan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2012 at 17:36
Yes, I understand that and it does not really matter what we call it but what I do not understand is how can this dot/cross or whatever we'd like to call it, change size when the reticle is in the second focal plane? Normally the size of it should be the same at 3x as well as at 9x shouldn't it? Whacko
CHARLIE DON'T SURF!
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2012 at 18:04
Originally posted by Tranan Tranan wrote:

Yes, I understand that and it does not really matter what we call it but what I do not understand is how can this dot/cross or whatever we'd like to call it, change size when the reticle is in the second focal plane? Normally the size of it should be the same at 3x as well as at 9x shouldn't it? Whacko

Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

The illuminated center dot at 3x it is 1.3MOA and at 9x it is 0.4MOA according to the factory literature.

Im following your question now ... and its a good one.  I agree that in the SFP it should remain static.  The change in size according to the factory info above does seem odd.  I can only guess it has something to do with the fiber optics and where its located in the internals in relation to the reticle ... maybe Ilya will chime in.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2012 at 18:27
No, the reticle should change in subtension in the SFP.  The reticle stays the same while the target gets bigger, so the reticle covers less of the target as you increase magnification.
-Matt
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2012 at 18:42
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

No, the reticle should change in subtension in the SFP.  The reticle stays the same while the target gets bigger, so the reticle covers less of the target as you increase magnification.

Okay that makes sense ... so those numbers are the representation in respect to target coverage then.

trackin like a scud missle ...
Tranan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 19:54
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Thanks! This definitely makes sense.
Actually my next question was about to be: "How can the reticle become smaler while the magnification increases?" but after reading your answer the question has got its answer.

Much obliged!
CHARLIE DON'T SURF!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic