OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Made in the USA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technical Fowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Made in the USA
    Posted: February/19/2006 at 13:04

What do you make of this article? http://www.chuckhawks.com/burris_signature_select_3-10.htm

I am looking at American made rifle scopes, and was wondering which company makes the best one.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2006 at 13:55

Your link didn't work, Brother.

The only ALL AMERICAN scope manufacturer I know of is US Optics.

Even though I'm still not 100% sure they don't use Jap or European glass in some cases. There's only so many places in the world that makes Super Quality glass.  

Leupold and Burris still use Jap glass. Fact.

No crime in that as far as I'm concerned, but we continue to get the infamous "I only use American made products" post and threads.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Technical Fowl View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technical Fowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2006 at 14:29

Cheaptrick,

Thank's for pointing that out!  I have edited the post with the correct link, sorry about that. 

My intention is not to start an "I only purchase products Made in the USA" debate.  I am willing to look at several different manufactures, even those outside the US.  But as long as the quality is comparable, why not keep the business here?

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2006 at 08:51

Zeiss and Kahles are now assembling scopes here.

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2006 at 21:09
I knew that the Zeiss Conquest was assembled over here, but was not yet aware about the Kahles American and Swarovski AH. Do you know where the Kahes assembly plant is here in the good ol USA?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2006 at 03:05

Roy:

All I could "google", was a Kahles Marketing address in Cranston, RI.

I don't know if this is a assembling plant, or just an office.

Also a Canadian office in Ontario somewhere. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 11:21

There are some things that you can't buy without buying from Japan like good electronics. Even if some Leupold glass comes from Japan the big difference is that American Corporations pay United States TAXES, and you can invest in the corporation on the U.S. Stock Market.

Japan doesnt scare me China on the other hand I consider to be the greatest threat to our security in the world. I will live without something before I will buy it from China.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
chasseur106 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasseur106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2006 at 03:36

Too Bad that all of the people that make Wal-Mart a leading force in local sales don't have this same opinion.

It seems to me that once America wakes up to the unfair trade that still exists since China got "Most favored nation Status", we would be a great deal better off.  I think that the car industry is the next ones to appeal to the government about all those sub 20,000$ cars, and if they don't start yelling soon, it will be too late.

Though in all honesty I would like to see some of the steam come out of their ships, just to get back to the reality of not having a 4X4 truck cost as much as a house does in my area.  $50,000.00 and up for a truck is too much.

You could get me started here, but what I wanted to say was better said and more appropriate in another column.

Scott

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic