OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best 16x under $400?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dukesbb37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best 16x under $400?
    Posted: February/19/2012 at 13:41
I have a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 but I wanna get more power for 300 yard shots. This scope will be benchrest only, because the 3-9 will go on the gun for hunting. Not really worried about low light or fog.

Hoping to get 6-24 power but 4-16 would be fine.

Suggestions?
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2012 at 13:49
I know it isn't quite in your price range, but it is close, and it is really quite good.

Edit:  I don't know why the link didn't show the first time.

Edited by Bitterroot Bulls - February/19/2012 at 14:52
-Matt
huffmanite View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huffmanite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2012 at 17:49
Chuckle, I'll be flamed for my suggestion, but so be it.  Don't know what cartridge rifle you need a scope for, nor distance your target shooting is,. but have one of these on a low priced .223 and another on a .257 Roberts rifle.  I just shoot paper at range with these and other rifles at least once a week.  More than adequate for my target shooting needs.  Glass is clear on them at all powers, edge to edge and I've no gripes about how they track when it comes to windage/elevation adjustments.  Might not have enough elevation adjustments for long range shooting, but its been effective for my 100 yd to 200 yd shooting.

So, give a look to the BSA Majestic DX model scopes....my two are the 6-24x44 SF model, priced under $160. 

By the way, this model scope was introduced beginning last year with the so called C.E.O. Warranty, a full life time type warranty.  And for what it is worth, today had my .223 rifle with this scope at range today.  One of my fellow shooters had a similiar power Vortex Viper scope a few benches from me.  I will sit down with his rifle and view his 100 yd target and then adjust scope to scan the 200yd berm.   May be just my imagination and my trifocal glasses, but darn if I could tell if his much higher priced Viper had any better glass than my Majestic DX.
oldguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2012 at 20:29
Have no idea caliber or gun your buying for but I use Mueller target scopes for my 223 and 204 target guns. Heavier caliber I would suggest the Vortex Viper, competitor has the 5-20x44 coming in March for $279 with v-plex,good buy IMO.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2012 at 22:49
SS 16x fixed power. I am planning picking one up with the new mil rad reticle.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-16x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P501.aspx
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2012 at 09:08

******EDIT********** I'm blind

Edited by SVT_Tactical - February/20/2012 at 09:22
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2012 at 09:09

*******EDIT*************SVT is blind.

Edited by Bitterroot Bulls - February/20/2012 at 09:58
-Matt
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2012 at 09:25
The viper mentioned above is a great scope, that said, if your only using for benchrest, this is a crowd favorite among the benchrest shooters i've seen,

Weaver 36x40 T-Series Rifle Scope Fine Crosshair Weaver 36x40 T-Series Rifle Scope
Stock # - 849970
  • Matte
  • Fine Crosshair
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Free 4" Sun Shade w/ Purchase
$439.95 
Add Weaver 36x40 T-Series Rifle Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:
Slightly over your price point but it has the 1/8MOA adjustment you'll want, and it retains its value great so that if you ever decide youre done with benchrest, it will sell quick and at a high return
mattri View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2012 at 18:59
That Weaver is a great scope.  I've owned a couple of them and they are very bright and clear, track accurately too.  For shooting off a bench they are hard to beat.  If you don't mind a used scope they can be had for around $350 fairly often, just keep an eye out. 
There are 3 kinds of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't.
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 17:20
If I remember right, Nikon is have a promotion on higher power scopes for an instant $50-100 off.

Eagle
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 18:27
Yep I am with eagle on this one check out Nikon buckmaster 6-18 with mil dot ret, or you could upgrade to monarch 4-16 mil dot. 

It is repeated often but my range queen sports a 16x super sniper which i am very happy with; thats another option
Dont take yourself to seriously
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 18:51
The Zeiss 3-9 you have has very good glass at the price point. I am afraid you will be disappointed if you hold to your $400 max. Good glass trumps magnification every day. The 4.5-14 Conquest is a fine scope but at a higher price. Many of the higher mag scopes under $400 will not have the clarity to out preform the scope you have now.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
dukesbb37 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dukesbb37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 19:02
Thanks for all the advice, I should have mentioned im shooting a Tikka Varmint .308

shooting between 100-300 yards maybe more.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 19:02
SWFA SS 16x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope Mil-Dot SWFA SS 16x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SS16X42
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$299.95 
Very soon this will become available in 1/10 mil clicks with the Mil Quad reticle .Same Price. Excellent

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
dukesbb37 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dukesbb37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 19:09
Originally posted by oldguy oldguy wrote:

Have no idea caliber or gun your buying for but I use Mueller target scopes for my 223 and 204 target guns. Heavier caliber I would suggest the Vortex Viper, competitor has the 5-20x44 coming in March for $279 with v-plex,good buy IMO.

Ive been looking for this deal where did you find it?
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 22:15
Originally posted by dukesbb37 dukesbb37 wrote:

Originally posted by oldguy oldguy wrote:

Ive been looking for this deal where did you find it?

Just a heads up SWFA will beat anyone advertised price. They have 110% guarantee.
28gauge View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 28gauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2012 at 10:03
Take a look at the IGK 4-16x50AO.  I wrote a post last year about the scope.  Most people were knocking the scope, but I found that it was decent for the money.  I had only tried it on my .17HMR, and only at 100 yards. Recently I put it on my Cooper M21 .20 Vartarg...just to try it.  I've had some really good groups.  Several 100 yard (3) shot groups in the two's, and one (3) shot group that was .096".  I've now had it out to 200 yards and 300 yards.  The scope does quite well out a those ranges.  This scope holds zero with no problems.  Yesterday in a quatering tailwind of about 15 mph, I had no problem hitting a 4" square (MOA) gong at 400 yards.  The scope was clear out to that range. Again I have no axe to grind, but I believe these are decent scopes for the money.  Everyone that looks through mine, can't believe how clear it is.  Good luck in your search.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic