OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Z3 36 mm low light perf

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icon308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z3 36 mm low light perf
    Posted: February/15/2012 at 21:54
im contemplating the Swarovski Z3 3-9x36  Im just wondering what type of low light performance it would have.
Stan
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2012 at 05:49
The one on my wife's rifle has been wonderful. No issues what-so-ever. Buy here with confidence!
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
jehu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jehu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2012 at 06:42
I put a Z3 3-10X42 on my 14yr old sons deer rifle this year and the low light performance was outstanding. I have a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14X44 and the Swaro is much better in low light.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2012 at 08:07
Chris and I have 3-9X36 Swarovskis mounted on our 6.5/284s. I have hunted with it quite a bit and it has exceptional low light performance.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2012 at 08:16
Not to change the subject, but tell us alittle more about the rifles I see here.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2012 at 08:40
Remington 700 Titanium transferred into a Rifles Inc. Titanium Strata. You can see his site here. http://riflesinc.com/riflemodels.html It has a Lilja Barrell cut down to 16", a Rifles Inc. stock, and a Jewell trigger. Fully loaded and ready to go into the field the setup weighs right at 6 1/4 lbs.
icon308 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icon308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2012 at 18:03
just curious would the 3-9x36 Swarovski be as bright in low light as say a Conquest or VX3 in 40 mm
Stan
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2012 at 20:24
It is as bright if not a tad brighter than the Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x40. I compared them both. Also, it has a larger apparent field of view or image than the Bushnell.
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 00:12
Originally posted by Chris Farris II Chris Farris II wrote:

Chris and I have 3-9X36 Swarovskis mounted on our 6.5/284s. I have hunted with it quite a bit and it has exceptional low light performance.

Very nice!

Rifle - 4 1/2 lbs.
Swarovski 3-9x36 Z3 Riflescope - Weight (oz): 12
Length (in):12.13

With a little tweek'n could be made into ready to go 5 pound(rifle & scope) mountain rifle. sweeet!!!

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 05:01

If one of these were brought out to Ted's camp last summer, they are even lighter than they look, as I recall. I couldn't believe it. 

As Ali used to say..."Float like a butter fly, sting like a bee".   
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 08:21
Originally posted by rustic rustic wrote:

Very nice!

Rifle - 4 1/2 lbs.

With a little tweek'n could be made into ready to go 5 pound(rifle & scope) mountain rifle. sweeet!!!

Not by the time you throw a sling and mounts on it. The weight I gave was with a Leupold VX 6 I am testing on it right now. I believe it is right at 5 3/4 lbs with the Swarovski it normally wears.

Edited by Chris Farris II - February/17/2012 at 08:29
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 14:32

Originally posted by rustic rustic wrote:

Very nice!

Rifle - 4 1/2 lbs.

Not by the time you throw a sling and mounts on it. The weight I gave was with a Leupold VX 6 I am testing on it right now. I believe it is right at 5 3/4 lbs with the Swarovski it normally wears.

Does that weight include bi-pods?
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 14:36
That weight includes Leupold VX 6 in 2-12, mounts, Gun, Sling, and 3 rounds of ammo. and the same stuff with the Swarovski on the Swarovski weight. I am not sure if it had the sling on it when I weighed it with the Swaro though. I have slept since then. Wink
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 14:48

That weight includes Leupold VX 6 in 2-12, mounts, Gun, Sling, and 3 rounds of ammo. and the same stuff with the Swarovski on the Swarovski weight. I am not sure if it had the sling on it when I weighed it with the Swaro though. I have slept since then. Wink

Very nice setup.
What do think of that VX-6?
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 14:49
In all honesty it is a good scope and I do like it. However I think for the price tag of $950 I could find some other things I would like more pretty easily.
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 14:58

In all honesty it is a good scope and I do like it. However I think for the price tag of $950 I could find some other things I would like more pretty easily.

What appeals to me is the 12X mag for the highplains/mountains. Most of the smaller lighter scopes all are 3-4x9-10 so it is nice to have that 2-4x more.

What don't you like about it?
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 16:57
The first thing I noticed is the resettable turrets are plastic and held on by a little plastic cuff. Wouldn't last long with me. I already accidentally popped it all the way off and I havent even been making adjustments. That was just to reset zero. I also think there is better stuff in the price range. I am not looking at just the power. That is one of many things to consider, IMO. Personally I would give up 2-12 mag range for a good well rounded scope in 3-12 or even 3-10.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 17:06
To answer your next question Rustic here is a short list of scopes I would prefer with price, magnification, optical quality, and personal experience ALL taken into consideration. Not saying that they are better or worse Just if it came down to it with everything taken into account I would get these first for ME.

http://swfa.com/Swarovski-3-10x42-Z3-Riflescope-P40814.aspx
http://swfa.com/Minox-3-15x42-ZA5-Riflescope-P46138.aspx
icon308 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icon308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2012 at 07:52
would the 36 MM Swarovski take me 30 mins past sunset
Stan
jehu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jehu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2012 at 09:06
My sons 3-10X42 Swaro took him well past 30mins after sunset and well past legal shooting hours had we wanted to break the law which we didn't.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic