OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

H&S Stock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H&S Stock
    Posted: February/15/2012 at 21:31
I want to put a new stock on my Remington 700 30-06. I've heard a lot of good things about HS stocks but I've heard some negative too. I was wondering what you fine ladies and gentlemen think of these stocks or should I just spend the extra money for a Manner stock. The gun will be used almost exclusively for hunting large game at 400-500 yards.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 21:59
HS makes a fine stock. I have two of them. Stiff solid and precise.

I just got my first Bell and Carlson. Time will tell how they compare.
-Matt
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 22:47
I have an HS precision on my 22-250.  Nice stock, although for me it took a little getting used to the larger palm swell.  Not a bad thing, just different than a lot of my guns.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2012 at 07:38
Use a HS on my 300 winny, love that stock
3 Tuns View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3 Tuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2012 at 07:42
  I bought a HS Precision and a B&C Medalist that I put on two of my rifles this past year.  Both are very similar (both have aluminum bedding) except the HS weighs more.  They are both very well made, but I like the feel of the B&C better mostly due to it's lighter weight.  Either would make an excellent stock for a hunting rifle.
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2012 at 09:02
Prefer Bell & Carlson but am lookin at a Hogue overmould at the moment. Has anyone got or tried one of these. I'm told that have the same soft feel and pillarbed as the B&C. The prices are darn good too.

Rifle Stock Mauser 98 Pillar Bed Sporter Barrel Channel Rubber Black

Product #: 480661 Hogue #: 98000
< id=saleItemId value=480661 = name=SaleItemID cM1="1" cmEleMemValue="null" cM2="0">
Ready to ship                                                                                                                        99.99
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2012 at 09:36
SGT. D,  the remington SPS tactical comes in a hogue overmold stock.  Mine was a bit flimsy in the forearm, most are.  I bedded  steel rod in it and haven't had a problem since. It did contact the barrel when on a bipod but now it doesnt
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2012 at 09:56
The Hogue is piller bed for that price and HS and Bell and Carlsons have a full aluminum bedding block.  As SVT said, you can make the Hogue work by modifying it as SVT did, but you cannot compare the two side by side.  Hogue does make a model with a full bedding block, but it is more expensive.  Too bad you don't need a Hogue for a Remington 700 SA, I would send you the one I have for the cost of shipping.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2012 at 10:04
I have a HS on my .204. I love it!
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2012 at 17:30
Originally posted by cpwomack cpwomack wrote:

The Hogue is piller bed for that price and HS and Bell and Carlsons have a full aluminum bedding block.  As SVT said, you can make the Hogue work by modifying it as SVT did, but you cannot compare the two side by side.  Hogue does make a model with a full bedding block, but it is more expensive.  Too bad you don't need a Hogue for a Remington 700 SA, I would send you the one I have for the cost of shipping.

If I could modify it to fit the mauser I'm building I'd be sending you some $$. Unfortunatly I don't have a short action available to compare specs. I'll likely have to open the barrel channel no matter what I get.

If SVT decides to build a SA he might put it to good use.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2012 at 17:38
I've done well with H-S stocks, although I've since sold the rifles that had them. I wouldn't spend the money a Manners or McMillan would take to upgrade a factory rifle. The good news is there are people who will. I'd keep an eye on various forums' classified sections to see if an LA H-S comes up for sale.
Reaction time is a factor...
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2012 at 19:27
I too like and use HS stocks, with no complaints. Never held a Manner's, but B&C makes a fine stock as well. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic