OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Middle caliber magnums belted or not

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote preacherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middle caliber magnums belted or not
    Posted: February/15/2012 at 16:10
If these are not useful for dangerous game, and overpowered for large game what exactly are they for? from the 8mm mag and the 338-06 to the 350 Remington mag and the 358 Norma, 338 win,340 weatherby , the 330 Dakota ETC. Target? Long range black tail deer at a mile? If the only real needs are 30 caliber and 375 and up then why bungle things up with un-needed and overpowered gopher weapons?
men with guns who are free are called "citizens" without weapons they are called "subjects and or slaves"
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 16:25
I would like a .338 for Elk, possibly at longer ranges, moose, grizzly bear, and anything in africa up to eland. I don't think there is no use for the middle calibers.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
preacherman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote preacherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 16:27
are they just "gimmic" weapons that look good on paper and are pretty? What purpose can there possibly be for them? Seriously
men with guns who are free are called "citizens" without weapons they are called "subjects and or slaves"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 16:37
I would say, people just like options.  It has a lot to do with people wanting to make money, so they come out with something a little different hoping to get a market share.  As well I bet some of the designers were just trying to make a round a little better in one way or another than a similar round.  Just always looking for something just a little faster, that functions just a little better

In reality if a guy had a .223, a 30-06 and a .375 h&h he could virtually hunt anything except the very largest african game and it would be all he ever needed.  But most of us just want options to play with and try.   
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote preacherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 17:04
Why not a 458 win mag or a 460  a 30-06 and a 22 hornet

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 17:09
Those would work as well.  See how the options just fit everyone differently.  Wink
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote preacherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 17:13
I tend to think there is more to it than that. I will concede that a 35 whelen is virtually useless for any more than 200 yards as is the 350 Remington mag, the 356 win and the 358 win. But I am talking about magnum rounds that have been out and killing "dangerous game" for 50 to 75 years.
Not some gimme sumpen new cartridge. Why were they useful as all get out for 60-75 years and now are just oversized goat shooters. Trigger 29 seems to have more respect for em than that.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote preacherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 17:34
but anything smaller than a 375 is useless? Why?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 17:35
Maybe, better bullet designs that have higher BCs which leads to higher velocity's at distance, more impact energy.  They do more damage and stay together better upon impact,  They penetrate deeper. 

They now have better powders that give more velocity, which also increase all these things. 

I sometimes think it also has to do with the "American" way of having to overdo everything as to why we have all the gigantic super duper mags.  I read account of European hunters using .260 and .280 calibers at modest velocities to kill mid sized game that us American's claim you need at least a 338 mag to do. 

My dad hunts elk with a .243.  He has never had a single one get away from him.  He always says if I hit him in the right spot he will die.  Guys laugh at him saying he needs at least a 338 mag, preferably a 338 378 mag.  He then asks them how much practice do they actually get with those giant rifles.  They never get much because of cost of the recoil factor.  He used to shoot his .243 a ton, was a very good marksmen.  Guess that is why he always gets his elk with just a .243

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 17:57
It's not so much the weapon as the man behind it.  All the odd calibers out there were the result of someone trying to make a better mouse trap; which was not always a successful venture.  Really if you look a common deer calibers like 243, 7mm08, 308, 270 280 30-06, 300 WM, 7mmMag and a bunch more they all do about the same thing when they hit a deer in the same spot and the deer is just as dead with one as another.  Bullets on the other hand have improved quite a bit and so have optics.  But all in all a guy has to admit that there have been a lot of deer killed with a  30-30 winchester or a slew of other less than balistically impressive calibers.  I say find a rifle caliber you enjoy shooting and shoot it a lot enough to know what it will do at different distances and if something is too far away - walk closer.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 19:33
I agree that alot of it is curb appeal. Do we need all of these calibers no, but this can be said for almost all products. Do we need 10 different car manufactures who each have five different models with 1000's of options no.  Options and choice just enhance our life experiences.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 19:59
IMHO before the new premium bullets the middle caliber magnum cartridges were the answer for large game like elk and moose.  They really earned their keep when it came to brown/grizzley bear.
The .338 Win. Mag., .358 Norma Mag. and the .375 H&H Mag. all can stop a charge and put a bear down with the heavier non premium bullets and with the premium bullets add extra insurance.
I have been present and have seen their effectiveness on bears at close range during charges.
They are a survival tool pure and simple.
A properly set up rifle will not give problems with the belted magnums, point of fact some of the newer nonbelted magnums are harder to get to feed than the belted mags.
Problems occur when people buy a brand new rifle just before a hunt, haven't practiced with it and then try to use it.
Interestingly enough the Browning BAR in .338 never seems to have the feeding problems caused by a short stroked bolt gun. They seemed to work pretty well and almost never had a feeding problem with the belted rounds.
I may buy another .338 Win. Mag. just for old times sake, I don't hunt anymore and don't have to go after big bears in the brush but miss the thump.
Again this is my opinion and experience and I would like to hear from others on the subject.
Thanks
Art

Good day.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 20:08
so what are you getting at??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote preacherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 20:44
What  I  am after is a discussion based on real world experience as well as ballistic truths of the middle caliber magnums and even some non magnums such as the 338-o6. Do they perform well?what are their limitations and so on. Merits as well as detracting factors of said calibers REALLY going into depth caliber by caliber.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 21:03
I own the oddball 35 whelen and it works wonderfully for stand hunting in heavy cover in northern Wi.  and thats the only use it gets. I think alot of us Nuts put together rifles and optics for specific intended purposes, be it animal or terrain. 
I also beleive many of the 338 and up crowd buy these rifles to keep personal goals and dreams hunts alive, I being one.  Being a man in the USA we're limited to one spouse at a time, but we can have as many flings and affairs with rifles as the pocket book will allow. Wink 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 21:13
Originally posted by preacherman preacherman wrote:

Why not a 458 win mag or a 460  a 30-06 and a 22 hornet

As far as the .458 Win and .460 Roy are concerned, the .458 Lott overcomes all problems associated with the other two calibers, afaik.

pyro's always talking about his .375 and kickboxer about his Lott, so they've given people a case of wanting both for some time, and who wouldn't want a fine .35 caliber something and a great .338- maybe in Lapua?
Like others have said, you could get 'er all done here in OK with just a .223 and a .30-06 (and really just an '06,) but that fact hasn't kept my safe empty.

.172 .200 .223 .224 .243 .257 .264 .277 .284 .308 .310 .311 .312 .313 .321 .323 .338 .348 .357 .358  .366 .375 .410 .411 .416 .423 .430 .452 .458 .474 .505 .510  rifle bullet diameters made by one or more US mfg.

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote preacherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 21:44
Personally this is the way I see it. 30 caliber and 7 mm caliber magnums are useless for big game stoppers. Even with premium bullets they shatter at the 3100 FPS line. The 30-06 is perfectly adequate for deer and even elk if you keep the shots at 200 yards or less. I am in fact a 30-06 fan have been for years. For most of my hunting life I used the 30-06 and the 45-70 the latter especially when hunting off horseback. That said the 338 in any magnum configuration is  far superior to either cartridge, so is a 358 Norma magnum. Higher sectional densities and better BC's are the recipe for a successful and safe hunt. IMO I don't NEED anything bigger. I can prove that a 338 is just as good and in some ways superior to either the 30 cal magnums or the eyeball displacing 458/460 magnums The same argument could be used to showcase the 358 Norma. here is such a thing as too much velocity.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 21:58
Hmmm....
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 22:02
My real-world experience is that my 30 cal and 7mm magnums have been anything but useless.
-Matt
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 23:27
.30-06 with 200 gr. Accubond has more energy at 500 yds than a .30-30 at 50 yds, but that doesn't mean .300RUM isn't a better wheat field rifle if one were to take that 500 yd shot.
 Higher velocity 7s and .30s need thicker jacket bullets than slower flavors, but the same is true with any high velocity impact. Is a .308 180 gr hitting at 3100 fps more likely to come apart than a 200 gr .338 hitting at 3100 fps?
Non-bonded boattails in any flavor seem to shed jackets faster (for me) than flat base.
John Barsness talks about a tiny woman he knows who hunts everything with a .338 Win.
Several non- magnum .35s and .37s in a fast lever or auto would make a fantastic hog rifle.

gulf1263 said: "...point of fact some of the newer nonbelted magnums are harder to get to feed than the belted mags."

Sad, but true. As much as I love .300 RUM (blessed overbore,) I don't currently have one, for just that reason. Dadburn rebated rims, anyhow. Maybe a Warbird in my future...
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic