OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What MOA scope to use

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5.9 cummins rocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What MOA scope to use
    Posted: February/15/2012 at 11:42
 Im sure this has been discussed and Im sorry if its a dead horse but I got tired of searching endless articles not finding what Im lookin for. Ive got a savage 338 lapua with 20 moa base. Im wanting to know how much MOA  I need to be looking at to reach 1500+ yards. Ill mostly be shooting around 1200yards but would like the ability to shoot farther if the opportunity arises.  I know there are a lot of variables that affect your moa. Just lookin for a point of refrence. I dont wanna buy a scope to only find out I cant reach out that far with it.
                                            Thanks
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 11:44
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 11:47
plug in your expected ballistics into a calculator and you'll find out.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 12:05
The .338 Lapua drop charts I've seen show from about ~ 48- 54 moa, depending, so with your 20moa base, anything that gets you to 35 moa would work.

Keep in mind that a "mil" ~ 3.6" @ 100 yards and an "moa" ~ 1.047" @ 100 yds.
Any scope with 10mil adjustment should get you there.
I might suggest that you check out the SWFA SS scopes.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 12:17
And that 10 mils (or 34.3 MOA) is the approximate usable elevation (about half the total travel) so when you're looking at a scope, make sure the total elevation is 20 mils or more.
Reaction time is a factor...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 12:20
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-5-20x50-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P51653.aspx

Elevation Adjustment Range:30 mils (100+ MOA)
5.9 cummins rocks View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5.9 cummins rocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 12:24
so then with a 20moa base, a scope with 50 moa should get me there? 
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 12:44
Originally posted by 5.9 cummins rocks 5.9 cummins rocks wrote:

possible but I'd want more.  You'd be at the extreme end of your adjustment range with only 50.

I'd want at least 80MOA to be safe, if not more.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5.9 cummins rocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 13:07
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Originally posted by 5.9 cummins rocks 5.9 cummins rocks wrote:

possible but I'd want more.  You'd be at the extreme end of your adjustment range with only 50.

I'd want at least 80MOA to be safe, if not more.

Ya Ive been playin with the ballastic calculator but with not knowin what bullets are gonna work best with my set up Its hard to know for sure. Thats what Im finding is your exactly rite Id be at the edge of my adjustment range. I like the ss scope that you showed the link for, but personally I really would like something with more than a 20 objective.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 13:13
It's 5-20x magnification, the objective is 50mm. 

You may have meant more than 20x magnification? More than 20x, more like 16x, and you'll be fighting every shooters enemy....mirage. 
Me thinks this the scope you "need", but that's my opinion. 

Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 13:24
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

And that 10 mils (or 34.3 MOA) is the approximate usable elevation (about half the total travel) so when you're looking at a scope, make sure the total elevation is 20 mils or more.
Excellent point! Forgive me for not thinking about that...
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 13:35
Get one with 80 MOA or 23 Mils at least more would be better.  I realize you may not use it all, but a scope performs better when it is not at the edges of the up and down travel.  You will get better image quality and performance if you are more in the center.  And shooting that far image quality will be a necessity.  If you get one with 50 MOA you will be limiting yourself in many ways.

The SS 5-20x woudl be a good choice.  A Nightforce, 5.5-22 or the Vortex Razor 5-20x would all fit your wants well.  Dollar for dollar the SS is the best buy though.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5.9 cummins rocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 13:46

It's 5-20x magnification, the objective is 50mm. 

You may have meant more than 20x magnification? More than 20x, more like 16x, and you'll be fighting every shooters enemy....mirage. 
Me thinks this the scope you "need", but that's my opinion. 

Ya I meant to say 20x magnification. I just dont like spending that kinda money for a scope I cant look threw the glass to see if I like it before I buy it. Everyone can say how good it is but everyones eyes and how they see threw things are different. Like my self I find the glass in my Nikons to be better than that of a leoupold for me. Not that either is better but for me the nikon glass is better.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 13:50
Where are you located? Maybe we could hook you up with a SS owner/member in your AO that could let you see theirs. 
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 13:56
the more magnification you have the more you will see the reticle moving with you 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5.9 cummins rocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 18:02

Where are you located? Maybe we could hook you up with a SS owner/member in your AO that could let you see theirs. 
I live in southwest Indiana. It would be great to see one in person and look threw it before I make my decision. Ive pretty well decided from talkin to everyone that the ss is one of two Im considering.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5.9 cummins rocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 18:06
Thanks for all the replies. Its been most helpful. Im just getting into longrange shooting. Been a shooter for a long time but nothing farther than 5-600yds. found several good ballistic sites to help me as well. Now just got to get some optics so I can sling some lead down range and come up with some good loads for my rifle.
                                               Thanks again
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic