OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

ss 5-20x50 problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slewis39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ss 5-20x50 problems
    Posted: February/14/2012 at 20:42
Good eveninng and happy V-day to everyone. Does anyone know if there are any ongoing problems with the SS 5-20s?
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Answer Answer
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2012 at 12:41
Scope arrived back here and we inspected it thoroughly and can say with 100% certainty that the reticle is precisely and exactly level and centered.

Verified three times by three different techs.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2012 at 21:00
Not mine!
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2012 at 21:15
I'm a little put off by your thread title.  Why would you post a title that INSINUATES some problem when there is none known?  It's disingenuous...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2012 at 21:23
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
slewis39 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slewis39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2012 at 21:27
Sorry but I wasnt trying to put off anyone or insinuate  anything,  but when I pay 1500.00 for a scope and have a problem I think it should be ok to ask a question and get all the info I can about it. But I guess I can find  another site to try and get answers to my questions or concerns. Just thought since this is the site I bought it from someone would be as concerned as me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2012 at 21:30
So whats the problem/concern? 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2012 at 21:36
Without a description of what problem you have, you are just "whiffing air"...

IF you have an issue, describe it in detail.  There are a lot of users of the SS5-20 here and if there is a similar problem you will find out post haste.  However, I suggest you take the issue directly to SWFA.  One of the Forum Rules is that the OT is NOT a forum for customer service issues.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
slewis39 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slewis39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2012 at 21:46
I didnt come here for customer service. I will call swfa tomorrow. I wanted to know if there were any known problems because the one I recieved has about a 5 degree right angle canter on the cross hair and I was just curious if anyone else had any problems with them. For it could determine if I change the brand scope I replace it with.

kettlez122 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kettlez122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2012 at 22:02
I just stumbled across this thread..I was looking forward to seeing what people had to say about this scope. Slewis39 I dont think there is a problem with this thread. Good to hear someone giving some info on the shortcomings of your personal scope. Anybody else have issues with the SS?
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2012 at 22:25
Originally posted by slewis39 slewis39 wrote:

I didnt come here for customer service. I will call swfa tomorrow. I wanted to know if there were any known problems because the one I recieved has about a 5 degree right angle canter on the cross hair and I was just curious if anyone else had any problems with them. For it could determine if I change the brand scope I replace it with.

How did you go about determining this? And how did you mount the scope on your rifle?
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 02:44
I've never heard of any of these scopes having the reticle canted a single degree (which would still be well within many manufacturers' tolerances), much less five.

If yours is indeed canted five degrees it is quite an aberration.  Precisely measuring reticle cant is something that is quite easily done without any specialized tools by several different methods.  Would you describe the method you used to measure the five degrees?
< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
slewis39 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slewis39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 05:50
I never got the scope mounted because I couldnt get the cross hair straight, If I got them straight the turrents were angled. Thats when I discovered the cross hair was canted, and the 5 degree was an estimate but its quite noticable with the eye.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 05:56
Where are you located in SC? 
slewis39 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slewis39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 06:06
Greenville

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 06:12

Greenville

Right down the road from me. I'm in Gastonia. 

I have levels and would be happy to help you, if you think I could. I haven't seen this problem you described on many different brands of scopes, let alone a SS, but maybe you have a bad one.

Rest assured, if you have a bad scope, SWFA will make it right.    

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 06:17

If you had made this statement first, there would have been no problem.  Other than you should call SWFA immediately for issues like this.  Nebulous meanderings about unidentified issues are not very useful...

slewis39 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slewis39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 06:26
Thanks for the offer. Yes I  agree, I have had nothing but excellent service from SWFA and really didnt intend on pissing anyone off. I was just curious if there were any known problems. I will contact them this morning and get a replacement. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 06:46

Thanks for the offer. Yes I  agree, I have had nothing but excellent service from SWFA and really didnt intend on pissing anyone off. I was just curious if there were any known problems. I will contact them this morning and get a replacement. 

Nobody is pissed at you. friend. 
We want, as do the good folks at SWFA, you to be 100% happy with your purchase. 

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding how you've determined that you have a issue, even though you've admitted you have not mounted the scope yet and leveled the action and the scope. 
So, I assume your holding the scope up with your hands and looking through at something with a straight edge and trying to "level" the turrets by eye? 

Is the reticle cant THAT pronounced?? Again, it's a fairly unusual issue with most quality scopes, let alone a SS, is all I'm suggesting.      

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 07:39

If Cheaptrick can't help you, wish I'm sure he can, let me know. I'll drive down there to tyr to help to if need be.  Also, mount the thing, its almost impossible to say its canted without mounting it.

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 11:31
Mount it using levels, and then compare it to a plumb line.  That will give you the truest alignment I can think of and will really be able to tell if it is canted or not.

If it is, SWFA will take care of you.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic