OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SIGHTRON BIG SKY SII AO 4-16X42

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SIGHTRON BIG SKY SII AO 4-16X42
    Posted: February/13/2012 at 13:17
any input on these ? What do they compare to?

Quality strength repeatability and especially tracking.  Thank you so much.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2012 at 13:43
I had one of those and liked it in all regards except that it had a very sensitive eyebox and would blackout with slight head movement. The glass is at least in the Conquest/VX3 class. It also had 1/8 moa clicks, which isn't my preference. I sold it without mounting it.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2012 at 14:32
I also had one with the target dot reticle, it was mounted on a 10FP and never gave me any issues. I also thought the glass was pretty decent and offers very good value for the money.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Fotis View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 09:14
Any other input?
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 10:12
Just a bit of update- I sold the 4-16AO because it wasn't needed at the time, not for any perceived failing of the scope. I can't speak to repeatability of adjustments, because I never used it, but it had great glass for the price.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 10:13
All Sightron scopes s2 and up have excellent reputations for precise, repeatable tracking.
-Matt
Fotis View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 10:37
I found one new in box for 300.00
Fotis View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 10:37
Locally that is
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 10:41
There is no equivalent (or even close,) scope for $300 that I'm aware of.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Fotis View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 10:48
Thank you all.Big Grin
Norrick View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 04:57
Tracking is extremely good, albeit the turrets are too easy to spin in my opinion, would have liked more resitance (the cilcks were somewhat mushy feeling). But the clicks do settle in nicely and have never moved on their own.

The adjustable objective is a dream to operate. They say its 180 deg turn but its a bit less than that in reality. Its the perfect amount of resistance . I don't feel any need for a side focus when operating the AO on this scope.

Overall finish is good on the matte black versions, silver finish is a bit hokey. 

Turret caps feel a bit thin but sturdy none the less. Magnification ring has same outstanding feel as the adjustable objective.

The eyebox adjustment is the standard threaded type with a lock ring. It is a fine thread that requires quite a few turns. I had to turn it four times before checking or I wouldn't see any perceptible difference while focusing the reticle.

Hmm what else. The glass is the best I've used (during day), which is to compare it to a Leupold VX-II, Vortex Diamondback, Bushnell Elite 6500, Burris Signature Select and a cheapy Simmons (obviously).

Have not extensively tested it in low light conditions, but I would say it is about on par with the others, doesn't particularly stand above or below any of them. 

Feels very well constructed and made in japan.
Norrick View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 05:03
Oh yah, and what really stands out to me is the eye relief. Very long throughout the magnification range and it meets the edge of the eyebox perfectly. Its like the image is just floating  there. You don't get that annoying thick edge of the occular bell all blurry around the corners nor do you get that looking down a black tunnel effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic