OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

My laser rifle!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My laser rifle!!!
    Posted: February/13/2012 at 04:18
Finally got my dirty paws on my "new" rifle. Picked it up on Friday. Spent all Sat loading up resized 7X57 loads. Necked it down to 6mm, outside neck turned, bumped the shoulders back and loaded 49gr365 behind 70gr SBlitzKing.
Got to the range on Sun and zeroed at 100m. From there it was punching 1/4 inch grouping. I then moved to the 150 mark. The bullet did not drop and same thing 1/4 inch grouping.
I then moved to the 200m. The drop was only 1 1/2 inches!!!
Unfortunately the grouping also opened up to 2 inches. I shot a ten shot grouping. 2inches grouping and 1 1/2  below zero.

Spoke to the smithy and he felt it was due to not on max load yet. (This was all whilst fireforming cases). I also could not clean the barrel due to a ramrod problem (like left at home problem)
So this was shots 30-40.
The full load will be 51,5gr 365. So we wait and see.

The rifle is my old RemVSF 308. A new single cut 1 in 14 twist stainless steel barrel was fitted in a 6mmRem AI.
The barrel is 26 inches and profiled to 20mm at muzzle.
I found the recoil very much lighter then the old 308.

I will try for pics later.

Me thinks me have a winner here.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2012 at 04:42
Outstanding, 8!

This is the former "White Wilma", correct?  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2012 at 04:47
Yes, the very same. Lately I felt a bit outgunned at our shooting comps. All the top guys are using flat fast shooters.
6mmXC, 243AI and so on.
I have not been featuring ogf late. So either I am getting old or outgunned or both. One I can fix.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2012 at 16:05
Glad to hear....  good luck with the fine tuning!
take em!
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2012 at 12:27
8shots which gunsmith did you you use? A freind of mine is having the same rifle built, was just wondering if it is the same guy. Just can't remember the Gunsmiths name, but he specializes in the 6mmAI.
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2012 at 12:44
8shots which gunsmith did you you use? A freind of mine is having the same rifle built, was just wondering if it is the same guy. Just can't remember the Gunsmiths name, but he specializes in the 6mmAI.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 01:15
Hi Glock,
The smithy is Andre Mojet. I was also told he is the 6mmRemAI guru.

His work looks great.
This weekend I will shoot the first batch of fully formed cases and loaded correctly.

Supposed to get 4100ft per sec !!
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 03:53
Same guy heard the he is really good. Keep us informed I would like to see the results, any plans to hunt with said lazer rifle?

Regards Chris
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 04:06
Chris,
No, I will not use it on a hunt. Maybe one day if I do a springbuck voorsit hunt.

I'm trying to get serious in the SAHuntingrifles comps. Originally thought the 308Win would do. On the range and with known distances it did well enough.
But on our field shoots the trajectory of the 308 is just to complicated.
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 11:11
My freind is having his built to compete in the SA hunters springbok shoot, I look forward to hearing about your results, and hopefully some good results in your competions. Think the 6mmAI would be a brilliant voorsit calibre. I wish you good luck.

Regards Chris
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2012 at 06:33
Thanks Chris,
Will keep you informed (only if I do well),Smile
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 00:20
8s You always do well. 
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 02:51
Thanks for the vote of confidence Big Smile

But the truth be told this past year was not so good for me, hence an upgrade on my caliber.
But as they say... a poor workman always blames his tools !!
BertEn2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BertEn2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2012 at 03:28

My initial first hand introduction to any caliber with a magnum in the name or any ‘wild cat’ type of caliber was when a dear friend of mine invited me along to meet with a gunsmith that was building a rifle for him.

At this stage I had had experience as a hunter and had already owned a few rifles. Up till this point I had a keen fancy for the slightly heavier to heavy calibers, which I was used to applying. My friend told me that he had stumbled upon this gunsmith, Andre Mojet. He was busy deciding on a caliber that Andre had introduced him to, to add to his existing rifle collection. Andre was going to build him this particular rifle, from scratch. The particular caliber in question was a 6 mm Ackley Improved. I was fairly skeptical as it wasn’t within the range of calibers with which I preferred to hunt, and that I knew so well.

I did a bit of research before the scheduled meeting, on Andre as well as on the 6 mm Ackley Improved. To me it seemed like a caliber used by Americans shooting prairie dogs, the ‘red mist effect’ and everything that comes with that.

I tagged along for the ride nevertheless. Three of us ended up going to the meeting. Upon meeting Andre I was caught off guard. Andre is a very friendly, accommodating individual. Here was a professional with an amazing workshop, containing extremely high tech machinery. From the outset it was clear that this man is passionate about his trade. His vast pool of knowledge, backed by his trade as a gunsmith, a background of bench-shooting and culling for the meat market became very apparent. His quality and technological advancement in his workmanship is very clear when you pick up and handle any of his rifles.

Andre is an individual that loves to share his knowledge. He simply cannot spend enough time with a customer on imparting knowledge on calibers, rifles, ammunition, reloading and other related topics. I have probably learnt more about reloading and ballistics in the past few months from Andre, than collectively across all the years before.

I became intrigued by the 6 mm Ackley Improved caliber, although I was immediately sold on Andre’s rifles, annealing machines and silencers.

All three of us ended up ordering 6 mm Ackley Improved rifles. Andre’s advice in terms of individual specification made a huge difference at this point. Andre delivered my rifle in record time, compared to every other custom rifle that I own.

The ‘barrel break inn’ procedure that Andre suggested as an initial step also made a world of difference. On the shooting range it became very clear that this rifle was inherently extremely accurate.

Even after this I must add that I was still relatively skeptical about this caliber’s performance on game larger than prairie dog, in Africa ‘nogal’. I am used to shooting my custom 500 Jeffery with a 0.51  inch (12.95 mm), 535 grain Woodleigh bullet, loaded with 123.6 grains of S365. This rifle was intended to shoot a 6 mm, 70 grain, bullet with 51.5 grains of S 365! 

My son was the first to test my rifle on a blesbuck (Damaliscus pygargus phillipsi). It was a very windy day with 55 km/h steady wind from the right. The blesbuck were 188 meters from him. He was as steady as could be on his shooting sticks, in this wind. We had already decided not to try a head shot in this wind, at this distance, from shooting sticks, with a brand new rifle. I was also obviously keen to test this in this manner rather than a head shot.

My son went for a shot in the heart at a quartering towards angle. The blesbuck dropped on the spot. I could hardly believe what I saw! The entry wound was as small as the 6 mm and it broke the right hand shoulder into small fragments, with no exit wound. The heart and lungs were pulverized. To my surprise the damage to the carcass was absolutely minimal.

I witnessed my friend, one of the guys who placed an order with me, drop a hartebeest (Alcelaphus buselaphus) with a shot in a very similar manner. He was also skeptical about the caliber’s performance.

Since buying the rifle I have bought an annealing machine and fitted all the rifles in my collection, to which the technology applies, with Andre’s silencers, with amazing results. What is really amazing is the ridiculously small price tag compared to silencers from other manufacturers.

I have had the privilege of spending time with Andre on the shooting range. It was one of the most intimidating experiences of my entire life, through my sport, my career and being married to my wife.

The passion and commitment with which Andre undertakes this particular trade displays in the manner with which he embraces his work, maintains quality in his workmanship, and the manner with which he engages his customers.

I have an extremely high regard for South African gunsmiths. As anywhere else there are classes, which apply here as well. What I particularly enjoy about some of our best gunsmiths is that they produce firearms that are built for Africa, good, solid working pieces which are reliable under all our extreme conditions. I personally believe that Andre Mojet ranks up there with the best of the gunsmiths that this country has ever produced.

Since our first transaction in the context of Andre building me a masterpiece of a rifle we have become personal friends.

Ps. I hear rumors in the corridors of doubles!

BertEn2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BertEn2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2012 at 04:00

My initial first hand introduction to any caliber with a magnum in the name or any ‘wild cat’ type of caliber was when a dear friend of mine invited me along to meet with a gunsmith that was building a rifle for him.

At this stage I had had experience as a hunter and had already owned a few rifles. Up till this point I had a keen fancy for the slightly heavier to heavy calibers, which I was used to applying. My friend told me that he had stumbled upon this gunsmith, Andre Mojet. He was busy deciding on a caliber that Andre had introduced him to, to add to his existing rifle collection. Andre was going to build him this particular rifle, from scratch. The particular caliber in question was a 6 mm Ackley Improved. I was fairly skeptical as it wasn’t within the range of calibers with which I preferred to hunt, and that I knew so well.

I did a bit of research before the scheduled meeting, on Andre as well as on the 6 mm Ackley Improved. To me it seemed like a caliber used by Americans shooting prairie dogs, the ‘red mist effect’ and everything that comes with that.

I tagged along for the ride nevertheless. Three of us ended up going to the meeting. Upon meeting Andre I was caught off guard. Andre is a very friendly, accommodating individual. Here was a professional with an amazing workshop, containing extremely high tech machinery. From the outset it was clear that this man is passionate about his trade. His vast pool of knowledge, backed by his trade as a gunsmith, a background of bench-shooting and culling for the meat market became very apparent. His quality and technological advancement in his workmanship is very clear when you pick up and handle any of his rifles.

Andre is an individual that loves to share his knowledge. He simply cannot spend enough time with a customer on imparting knowledge on calibers, rifles, ammunition, reloading and other related topics. I have probably learnt more about reloading and ballistics in the past few months from Andre, than collectively across all the years before.

I became intrigued by the 6 mm Ackley Improved caliber, although I was immediately sold on Andre’s rifles, annealing machines and silencers.

All three of us ended up ordering 6 mm Ackley Improved rifles. Andre’s advice in terms of individual specification made a huge difference at this point. Andre delivered my rifle in record time, compared to every other custom rifle that I own.

The ‘barrel break inn’ procedure that Andre suggested as an initial step also made a world of difference. On the shooting range it became very clear that this rifle was inherently extremely accurate.

Even after this I must add that I was still relatively skeptical about this caliber’s performance on game larger than prairie dog, in Africa ‘nogal’. I am used to shooting my custom 500 Jeffery with a 0.51  inch (12.95 mm), 535 grain Woodleigh bullet, loaded with 123.6 grains of S365. This rifle was intended to shoot a 6 mm, 70 grain, bullet with 51.5 grains of S 365! 

My son was the first to test my rifle on a blesbuck (Damaliscus pygargus phillipsi). It was a very windy day with 55 km/h steady wind from the right. The blesbuck were 188 meters from him. He was as steady as could be on his shooting sticks, in this wind. We had already decided not to try a head shot in this wind, at this distance, from shooting sticks, with a brand new rifle. I was also obviously keen to test this in this manner rather than a head shot.

My son went for a shot in the heart at a quartering towards angle. The blesbuck dropped on the spot. I could hardly believe what I saw! The entry wound was as small as the 6 mm and it broke the right hand shoulder into small fragments, with no exit wound. The heart and lungs were pulverized. To my surprise the damage to the carcass was absolutely minimal.

I witnessed my friend, one of the guys who placed an order with me, drop a hartebeest (Alcelaphus buselaphus) with a shot in a very similar manner. He was also skeptical about the caliber’s performance.

Since buying the rifle I have bought an annealing machine and fitted all the rifles in my collection, to which the technology applies, with Andre’s silencers, with amazing results. What is really amazing is the ridiculously small price tag compared to silencers from other manufacturers.

I have had the privilege of spending time with Andre on the shooting range. It was one of the most intimidating experiences of my entire life, through my sport, my career and being married to my wife.

The passion and commitment with which Andre undertakes this particular trade displays in the manner with which he embraces his work, maintains quality in his workmanship, and the manner with which he engages his customers.

I have an extremely high regard for South African gunsmiths. As anywhere else there are classes, which apply here as well. What I particularly enjoy about some of our best gunsmiths is that they produce firearms that are built for Africa, good, solid working pieces which are reliable under all our extreme conditions. I personally believe that Andre Mojet ranks up there with the best of the gunsmiths that this country has ever produced.

Since our first transaction in the context of Andre building me a masterpiece of a rifle we have become personal friends.

Ps. I hear rumors in the corridors of doubles!

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2012 at 04:48
I have now shot a fair amount with my new rifle with amazing results. My ranking is up in the top 50, but early days yet in the final results.
The rifle is very accurate and shoots as flat as can be done with gravity at play.
So it has been a good call. For a change I am shooting full scores on the elusive gong range.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2012 at 05:46
Sounds very promising, Wouter!  I'm surprised with the 14 twist, though.  I would have thought he'd go with a faster twist (on the order of 8 - 10) to shoot the high BC 100 - 120 gr bullets.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2012 at 08:43
Based on what I read in this thread, and the performance on the lighter African game with the 6mmAI, the hunters over there think exactly opposite to the Jack O'Connor tribe in the states (i.e., the .270 is enough for everything that walks).  I can't even imagine the need for a 500 Jeffery for anything on this side of the atlantic, but (some) folks over here use a 243Win for game as big as elk, but I do like using my 9.3x62 on game as small as whitetail at moderate ranges.  Sounds like we all could all benefit from more cross-pollenation of thought with respect to caliber/cartridge for game discussions.  Good shooting 8Shots.  Glad your custom tool is giving you results. 
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2012 at 10:45
8, we're still waiting for the pictures of her.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2012 at 15:29
No Pics
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic