OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

3-9x40 VX-R Fire Dot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3-9x40 VX-R Fire Dot
    Posted: February/11/2012 at 13:10
Well, with all the hoop-la these days about Leupold, I jumped on the band wagon as it rolled merrily through.  Big Grin

I just picked up a Loopy 3-9x40 VX-R with the Fire Dot Duplex reticle, w/ a 30mm tube from The Sample List. Going to go from a .308 bolt gun to an 5.56mm AR.  

As an aside, there's some crazy good deals on the SL these days! If ya ain't been by thee in awhile, check it out.    
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2012 at 00:18
Look forward to hearing your thoughts on it. I have been thinking about one myself.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 10:46
Well, she'll be in tomorrow, according to UPS. 

Really excited to get my hands on this scope. Yippee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2012 at 15:53
Got it today. Looks good!  
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2012 at 16:10
OK, I looked on the SampleList and will be buying one of these if they do indeed still have one.  I haven't owned a Leupold since Bush Sr's White House years (and broke that one.)  I am a non-Leupold type, time to see if they are still worthy of my scorn.

Interested in your thoughts.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2012 at 16:19
I sorta reminds me of a...Aimpoint. Love
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2012 at 16:31
RC, they may still have the VXR patrol i traded in,  I liked it.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2012 at 16:46
The fire dot is gone, probably to Mark.

Such is life.

Eventually I might try another Leupold.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2012 at 19:52
I think I'll stick this scope on a .223 Remington S Tac for a while. Have some Talley rings inbound too.
No rails, Mil Dots, or any side focus.
RC:
I will be happy to send you mine to eval. Looks like Im heading to Bammers in a few weeks and I wont be doing any shooting.
Advise....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 17:29

rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 17:54
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Nice look'n set-up.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2012 at 04:26
Thank you.

Ah rats!
Just realized that I mounted the scope with the nuts on the ejection port side. Bucky

Oh well...It's coming off this rifle and on a .223 Remington S Tac in a few days.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2012 at 18:52
I was about to call you out on that! lol..... its kinda like open dust covers huh?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2012 at 20:12
I had a 6x42 FX3 with heavy duplex that I ran on my 300 WSM for a year then traded up to a Conquest Z800 4.5-14x44.  The fixed 6x42 scope in its different variation of reticles is in my opinion one of the best choices available for a true hunting rifle. Not really a target tactical scope but bright nice glass the heavy duplex was more accurate at 200 yds than I expected a heavy duplex to be and very visable in very low light. I have been threatening for some time to pick up one of the long range duplex versions I am convinced that is one fine choice for hunting because its a 7mm exit eye pupil low enough power to hand hold and low enough to get on target fairly close and with a balistic reticle that once you know what distances the marks represent will always be true because its a fixed power so in low light when game comes out you can use the hold over marks which you cant do with the high power variables.
Pretty sure the scope Cheaptrick just bought is the same one Bill Wilson has been using to hunt hogs with good success.  Congratulations on the new scope buddy.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2012 at 04:32
New pics are coming. Got the scope mounted to the new .223, sans the Talley mounts. I got low Badgers on a 0 MOA EGW rail. 

This scope has really good, (for the $$$), glass. 

A little finicky with head position though. You have to be lined up right, to get a good sight picture, at all powers, even 3x. Anybody out there in Radio Land considering one, pay special attention when buying rings and bases for this scope. 
A little too high or a little too low on your rings will have you moving your head around trying to get a sight picture. I'm going to try a couple of different mounting systems with this one to see what I like best.
Leupold still has "variable eye relief", which I'm not crazy about.  
Not a deal breaker though. 

I like the Dot better than I thought I would. Very user friendly and fast for target acquisition. The "dimmer switch" is on the left side. No problem for Lefties to reach over the top with off hand and punch the button to make it dimmer or brighter, while leaving their trigger finger in a ready position. Fire Dot will flash intermittently a few times when you are on the highest setting, or the lowest.             

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2012 at 14:44

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2012 at 12:37
OK, spent some more time with this scope. Changed it over to Talley LW's.

Shot some decent groups with it the other day and these Talley LW's are really nice. Head position is really tricky still. I'm thinking of replacing the stock with a HS and call it a day. 

coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2012 at 15:06
That just looks right.....  Very nice Excellent
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2012 at 16:06
Still got the ring nuts on the same side, but I see that you reversed the rifle.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2012 at 07:11
nice
I really like the Talley lightweights for a hunting rifle
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic