OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

would it be a mistake

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icon308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: would it be a mistake
    Posted: February/09/2012 at 17:51
Im stuck between 2 scopes a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40  Or a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40  If I chose the Leupold 
Stan
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 17:56
Originally posted by icon308 icon308 wrote:

Im stuck between 2 scopes a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40  Or a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40  If I chose the Leupold 

A mistake? No. 
I like the Conquest better, but the VX3 is a fine scope and will serve you well.   
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
icon308 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icon308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 18:02
i know the Conquest is a fine scope with great glass  But im thinking if ever needed Leupold is hard to beat.Plus I like the Diamond coat  and considering the CDS
Stan
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 18:17
Well, after personally using the Zeiss CS dept, they will treat you right. 

Sounds like you've made up your mind. Wink
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 21:01
Have you looked thru both yourself?  I'd let that be the deciding factor as both are nice scopes!
take em!
icon308 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icon308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 21:03
no Tip I hav'nt no one around me has Conquests 
Stan
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 21:10
that's the only way to really tell.  I have bought scopes that I haven't looked thru... i.e. Kahles CL 3.5-10X50 and it was fantastic.... and one other Kahles.  Any way you could buy a Conquest and then return it if you don't like for the VX3?  Might cost you some shipping, but that's not much.  Better yet, buy them both and return the one you don't want.  I'm not sure about SWFA's policy on this, check it out before you do it.
take em!
icon308 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icon308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 21:26
I have a couple places who sell Leupold  but no Conquest to compare too
Stan
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 21:47

I have both V-X3 4.5x14 40 and a conquest 4.5x14 44 IMO I prefer the leupold for several reasons.

Edited by rustic - February/09/2012 at 22:22
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2012 at 00:30
Given the similarity in magnification range, I'd go for whichever has the better glass and eye relief. I haven't looked through any newer Conquests or that particular Leupold, so consider this general advice.
Reaction time is a factor...
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2012 at 06:14
Both are fine and will get the job done. Both have good CS. Flip a coin.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2012 at 07:18
The conquest is a bit larger scope IIRC.  If size and weight are considerations.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2012 at 07:27
Originally posted by rustic rustic wrote:

I have both V-X3 4.5x14 40 and a conquest 4.5x14 44 IMO I prefer the leupold for several reasons.
Care to elaborate?
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2012 at 08:45
I have used the VX-3 3.5-10, and I thought it was a good scope.  I used it to shoot distance out to 700 yards with no problems.
Never used the other one.
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
Dakotaman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakotaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2012 at 09:34
I have not shot the conquest but I have shot the Leupy 3.5-10x50 for several years and could not be happier. The 40mm is a little more streamlined but the 50mm picks up a little more light. It sees better than the naked eye in near dark conditions with that scope. It is crystal clear and as accurate as they come. I have heard good things about the Conquest too. I can only tell you the good things you hear about the Leupy are true.
Caution: I render good advice with equal enthusiasm and sincerity as bad advice!
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2012 at 12:13
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

Originally posted by rustic rustic wrote:

I have both V-X3 4.5x14 40 and a conquest 4.5x14 44 IMO I prefer the Leupold for several reasons.
Care to elaborate?

Without going into the weeds here first - there really nothing wrong either of them. I have looked through them side by side many many times the image is "too close to call" they are both real good.
The reasons I prefer are.
1 how compact & light Leupold is & a  clean simple reticle.(plex)
2 accessory's that Leupold offers for their products.
3 ease of the dial system on the Leupold. 
4 C/S of Leupold is out standing and fast(I have had dials sent to me in less than 3 days)
5 eye relief - now before the flame'n prematurely starts, the closest I have ever shot any big game animal is 150 some yards so, my scopes are always on the highest mag. My eye with the Leupold does not have to be set distance from the scope to see well enough to make a good shot. That being laying down in prone, kneeling, stooping, or standing were as my check weld can not always be the same in all hunting situations.
6 how the above 5 improves confidence in tough hunting situations.
7 $300 difference now was $200.

In more "eastern" areas might have a somewhat different opinion... dunno?

icon308 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icon308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2012 at 14:11
I like the Zeiss because heard the glass might be a hair better  and the etched reticle
the Leupold For Diamond coat  Warranty  CDS
Stan
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2012 at 14:44
Diamond Coat is just a marketing term.  I highly doubt it is anything special vs what Zeiss puts on their scopes.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Gillettehunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gillettehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2012 at 17:12
 Leupold has decent glass for the money. They have a good warranty with good service.  I don't like the changes in the eye relief at different magnification levels.  You have to move your cheek weld to see through the scope at different magnification's. I sold a couple of Leupolds and bought the Conquests. I think that the glass is just a touch better. Coatings are  good too. Some years ago a friend had too much glare to get a shot at a bull elk. I arrived soon after. No problems seeing through the Conquest. Too much glare to use his scope still. He was.... angry ... at the scope failure  [as he saw it]  and the lost opportunity at the elk. He thought that he had one of the best scopes on the market at the time. It wasn't a Leupold.   For the money you would do fine with the Conquest.  Bruce
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2012 at 17:38

I like the Zeiss because heard the glass might be a hair better  and the etched reticle
the Leupold For Diamond coat  Warranty  CDS

I think the glass is very close. I think most people would have a hard time telling the difference between them. And when talking with someone about it make sure they are talking about the VX3 and Not the VXIII. They are different and the VX3 has much better glass.

Warranty, both are excellent.

CDS well to me that is a personal preference.

I do how ever prefer the metal W/E caps on the Leupold over the plastic ones on the Zeiss. But to be honest I very rarely hear of problems with the plastic ones.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic