OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help in picking the right scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help in picking the right scope
    Posted: February/17/2006 at 07:35

Hi guys!

I've been browsing this site for some time now and find it extremely helpful, it changed my view on riflescopes.

In my country general opinion is that only scopes that are worth putting on a rifle are:

Swarovski,Zeiss,Kahles,S&B and Leupold(you think it is expensive- check out our prices), and all other things are crap that won't hold zero. That opinion was formed bacause on our market we had top of the line - German products, and the lowest quality crap at prices three times higher than in the USA(low end Tasco,Bushnell, and BSA);there is no middle class products, and most people didn't even hear about Weaver or Burris.

Similar thing is with mounts-EAW schwenk(500$),or claw mounts that cost more than a rifle.

I've recently purchased Remington 7400 in 30.06.Spr., and I'm looking for the scope and mounts.

I think I decided on the mounts-Leupold QR with one piece base(I want to be able to remove the scope)

This gun is going to be used for wild pig hunting with dogs  - so it is going to take some abuse.(for other hunthing I have Interarms MarkX  7mm Rem.magnum wih claw mounts and Swarovski Habicht 8X56)

I'm looking for a low power variable scope with heavier crosshairs. The most important thing I'm looking in a scope is ruggedness-it must hold zero, and must be able to take some abuse.

This is a list of scopes that would suit me:

Burris 1.75-5x20 Fullfield II Rifle Scope < id=qty1 size=3 value=1 name=qty1> $170.95 $170.95
< id=remove2 = value=1 name=remove2> LEU56700 Leupold 1-4x20 VX-II Riflescope < id=qty2 size=3 value=1 name=qty2> $299.95 $299.95
  LEUP_7 Leupold Standard Mounts & Rings 1< id=qty3 = value=1 name=qty3> $0.00 $0.00
< id=remove4 = value=1 name=remove4> LEU58790 Leupold 1-4x20 VX-I Shotgun / Muzzleloader Scope < id=qty4 size=3 value=1 name=qty4> $179.95 $179.95
  LEUP_58965 Leupold Alumina Rubber Eyepiece Guard 1< id=qty5 = value=1 name=qty5> $0.00 $0.00
< id=remove6 = value=1 name=remove6> 6595 Nikon 1.5-4.5x20 Monarch UCC Shotgun Scope < id=qty6 size=3 value=1 name=qty6> $259.95 $259.95
< id=remove7 = value=1 name=remove7> 849400 Weaver 1-3x20 Classic V3 Series Rifle Scope

As you can see- all in 200-300$ range(It will cost me twice as much due to customs,taxes shipping, a friend of mine is going to send it to me from the States).

What are your reccomendations,any other  suggestions?

What scope of the above mentioned is the most durable?

Any suggestions on detachable mounts?

Thanks!

PS. Sorry about any mistakes and grammar errors

Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2006 at 12:02

Leupold VX-I 1-4x20mm. This scope has the heavy crosshairs you want and it should take a fair amount of abuse. (as long as our definiton of abuse is similar.) The scope will hold its zero from bumps & bangs, I've used Leupold scopes for years.

How often do you want to remove the scope? I'm not sure about the QR mounts.....If the rifle is going to be beat & banged around a bit I think I would go with a set of dual-dovetail mounts. One of the other forum members may be able to give you better advice from experience here.

Welcome to the forum.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2006 at 13:05

Burris Fullfield II 1.75-5x20 with German 3P#4 reticle would work well for you. 

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/200088/burris_1.75-5x20_ fullfield_ii_rifle_scope.htm

It is durable and the glass is quite a bit better than Leupold VX-I.  I think it is also better than VX-II, but that is a closer call.

Weaver V-3 is a very nice little scope, but the crosshairs are not very thick.  It is though durable and the glass is suprisingly good (comparable to Leupold VX-II, but not quite as good as the Burris).

Nikon 1.5-4.5x20 is in the same class as Fullfield II (I looked at these side by side), but is more expensive.

If you can afford to spend more, you should also look at Burris Signatur Safari 1.75-5x32.

ILya

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2006 at 16:43

SD and koshkin got you going the right direction. 

I just have to say that I think there are several scopes out there that flat blow away a VXI. VXI is a bad choice.  

Even the VXII is a marginal success, IMO.

You would truly have to get into the VXIII line for Leupold to have any edge at all against the competition.  

Sorry to all the Loopie lovers out there, but these are my thoughts.

No more, no less.  

And oh, Bender, welcome to The OT!!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2006 at 16:53
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Nikon 1.5-4.5x20 is in the same class as Fullfield II (I looked at these side by side), but is more expensive.

ILya

Are saying that the Monarch and the FFII are in the same class??

So, the Monarch (Nikon's Sig Select), is only equal to Burris's second stingers??

Oh yeah, and it's more expensive to boot!!

Player please!!!!!

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2006 at 17:36

A 3-9x40 Monarch is better than Fullfield II.  No question there.

For reasons not clear to me, the 1.5-4.5x30 Monarch does not have the same glass quality as other Monarchs.  If you do not believe me, buy one and take a look.  I had four of these pass through my hands at different times.  Good scopes, but not as good as the rest of the Monarchs. 

I was looking at a bunch of low range variables a little while ago and thought that these Monarchs weren't all that great.  Then I stumbled on David Fortier's article comparing Weaver V3, Fullfield II 1.75-5x20 and Nikon Monarch 1.5-4.5x20.  It appear: he came to the same conclusion: Fullfield II had the better glass.  So I recreated the comparison and added a few other scopes I had at hand that could go down enough in magnification.  I looked at magnifications of 2x, 3x and 4x in good light and in low light (just after sunset).  All scopes were set up on a flat surface (I usually set them up in a set of high weaver style rings so that it would be asy to place them on a flat surface and look through them).  O looked at a bunch of stuff, mostly at a sheet of paper about 20 yards away and the tree leaves about 50 yards away.  Looking at tree tops and trying to look at different leaves is a good test of depth of perception and color fidelity (when the leaf is against a bright background there are often color fringes at the edge, although this is more important for binoculars). The difference between Fullfield II and Monarch was pretty small, if any, with a slight edge going to the Fullfield II.  That difference though is probably comparable to fairly common scope to scope variations you see with in a product line.  Monarch is about 30% more expensive.

You are welcome to go ahead and repeat the experiment.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2006 at 17:47

OK, koshkin.

My experience with the lower power Nikon's are admittedly limited. 

Bender View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2006 at 18:34

Thanks for the replies, I narrowed my choice to Leupold or Burris.

Thing that is bothering me is that VX I doesen't have click adjustmants-is that any good,does it hold zero well?

VX II has click adjustmant,but it also has thin crosshairs and it costs 100$ more than VX I.

Burris is very affordable, but it won't hold its price around here - I wouldn't be able to sell it if I don't like it.

It is a tough call...

fourinone View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourinone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2006 at 06:15
I'd buy the Burris Signature Select 1.75-5x32mm Safari. The eye relief is noted as being 3.8-4.5 inches which is very generous. I would not worry about resale. Because you want it for your gun and based on what you are looking for, it will work better than your other choices. I don't care for the Leupold QR mounts. I bought a set and didn't like the fact that they don't rest flat on the top of the base. There is a gap between the top of the base and the bottom of the mount. I prefer my base top surface to contact the bottom of the ring mount or at least be a very close tolerance. I would buy Warne or Talley. You can get the quick release system or the permanent system. The permanent system is a lot less money and still can be removed and replaced with near perfect return to zero with the proper tool at hand. Don't buy the Leupold VX I or you will be trying to sell it and have to buy a Burris anyway. If the Burris Sig. Select Safari is too much money for you then I would take the advise of Koshkin and buy the Burris Fullfield II....he seems to have compared a lot in order to come to his conclusion.
Can you see me now...
bcreed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2006 at 06:53
Have you tired looking at any other brands other than that. Try si-tron scopes they will take the abuse for what you want and they will hold there zero for about 30 shots. My expierence is a si-tron on a .308 and I found no problems so far with claitity or distance.
JPinSC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2006 at 18:39

If heavy cross hairs is a deal maker then forget the Weaver V3 see (koshkin above), but if it is not, give the V3 

serious consideration.  It will take recoil and is very clear for the price (can be had for $140).

Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2006 at 22:26

The Leupold QR bases and rings are great!!  They hold zero even when taken off and replaced.  They also let you carry an extra scope "ready to go" on long hunting trips.

I have them on a .338 Win Mag which I took to Russia on a hunting trip.  Carried the scope (and an extra) in baggage.  The scope I used was still perfectly zeroed when I reattached it at hunting camp, after flights on U.S. and Russian airlines and a Russian helicopter.  Still perfectly zeroed after my return to the U.S..

I also have the Leupold QR mounts on my Remington 7400 in .30-06.  Works fine here too!  That rifle shoots 1-inch 3-shot groups with my favorite load.

Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2006 at 22:31
Correction:  Make that the Remington 7600 (slide action, more reliable in my experience).
Bender View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2006 at 15:41
Thanks for the replies, burris signature safari is out of my budget because it will cost me  about 750$ here  and for that kind of money I could get swarovski, so I'll probably give burris a try, of course with qr mounts
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic