OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Burris Black Diamond 3-12x50 or Trijicon 3-9 x 40
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris Black Diamond 3-12x50 or Trijicon 3-9 x 40

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginshun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris Black Diamond 3-12x50 or Trijicon 3-9 x 40
    Posted: February/09/2012 at 08:57
Title pretty much says it I guess. Scope is going on a 300 WSM hunting rifle used for both stalking and stand hunting.  Really wondering which one has better glass, or if there is enough of a difference to even worry about.

Thanks.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 09:11
The illumination of the trijicon would give me the edge to go with it, it may not be something you need all the time but when you do  it will be there.
ginshun View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginshun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 10:32
The Burris has a illuminated reticle as well.  Illuminated Ballistic Plex E1.

The illumination on the Burris is one of the things I am also wondering about.  It looks from the pics like a large portion of the cross hairs are lit as opposed to just the center dot on the Trijicon mil-dot reticle.  I wonder about the brightness of the Burriss and if the cross hairs are too bright in low light situations.

If anybody has input, please let me know.

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 19:46
Burris is pretty bright in low light.  The lowest setting was usable but not quite as low as I would like.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 19:53
I would probably go Trijicon 2.5-10x56 red post but the crosshair and mil dot give a finer illuminated area.  On those models the illumination will be enough to see at nigth but now over powering like some of the battery systems can be.  Im sold on Trijicon myself.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
ginshun View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginshun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2012 at 08:00
im 99% on the Trijicon at this point.  I am probably going with the 3-9, as opposed to the 2.5-10.  I have a couple rifles with 40mm scopes not near as nice as the Trijicon, and I can see fine with them to shoot well past legal shooting time, so the 56mm objective is really overkill.  Its going on a heavy rifle that I don't plan on shooting 1000 yards, so I don't really need the extra weight that comes with the 56mm or the extra adjustment that you get with the 30mm tube. I do like the extra magnification range, but you win some, you loose some.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2012 at 08:41
I have the 3-9 X 40 Trijicon and like it a lot. Don't need no stinkin' battries!!! LOL
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2012 at 11:32
+1 on the Trijicon 3-9x40  
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2012 at 17:34
I have a 3-9x40 with the standard crosshairs and green dot. I hunt at night under a full moon (no other light source)and don't have any trouble seeing the tritruim reticle.

I have never looked through a Black Diamond so I can't say which is better.

Eagle

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic