OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Most durable 3-9 under $350?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xot3ric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most durable 3-9 under $350?
    Posted: February/09/2012 at 05:48
Can anyone suggest a 3-9 that can take a beating and has a great warrenty under $350?

What features are the most important for durability? Etched reticles, capped turrets? 

I was thinking along the lines of a Burris FF2 E1.

Thanks.

You are entering a world of Pain!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 06:35
http://swfa.com/Nikon-3-9x40-Buckmaster-Riflescope-P42205.aspx

As well as the Burris you mentioned. Both will work well. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 07:07
The new Leupold VX-2 should be a good choice @ around $300.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 07:33

May not be exactly $350 but...................

Minox 3-9x40 ZA3 Riflescope Minox 3-9x40 ZA3 Riflescope
Stock # - MIN66004
  • Matte
  • German #4
  • 1"
  • Mail-In $50 Rebate
$398.95
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 07:37
I agree with the VX2, if your going to abuse your equipment leupold offer one of the best warranties in the business.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 10:35
I missed the etched reticle part of your question. The Buckmaster has wire.
xot3ric View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xot3ric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 11:08
Thanks for the answers.
You are entering a world of Pain!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 12:58
This one may be wire reticle as well, but it's been heralded as a solid scope.

Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 21:12
what kind of a beating are we talking about?
take em!
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2012 at 06:50
You seldom see a  used Vortex Viper for sale. Those that have 'em, keep 'em.
A Viper beat all contenders in a torture test published in this forum a couple of years ago.
They have a sterling reputation and perfect warranty.
http://swfa.com/Vortex-3-9x40-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P51895.aspx
Vortex seems to be continuously updating their product line, so the link above may be for an older model...

Weaver Grand Slam scopes get good reviews across the web, but the terms of their limited lifetime warranty may lead one to an alternate choice. The  warranty is good only to the original purchaser and you need to maintain the sales receipt for service and pay $15 shipping for returns to Weaver. Weaver and their parent company ATK really need to re- think that warranty. There are just too many great scope choices out there today to be fiddling around with a second- rate warranty.
http://swfa.com/Weaver-3-10x40-Grand-Slam-Rifle-Scope-P591.aspx
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2012 at 09:05
No offense, as I'm sure they're fine products, but I'm not drinking the Vortex anything kool-aid until they've been around a while longer.  It seems the first things out of people's mouths in regards to Vortex is "they have a stellar warranty".  That's true, but if that's the best that can be said about it something's missing.  For instance, last years Razor was priced at $1200.  I said it was a joke at the time and it was.  Who in their right mind would pay that price for that particular Vortex?  Maybe it's just me.  
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2012 at 09:07
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

No offense, as I'm sure they're fine products, but I'm not drinking the Vortex anything kool-aid until they've been around a while longer.  It seems the first things out of people's mouths in regards to Vortex is "they have a stellar warranty".  That's true, but if that's the best that can be said about it something's missing.  For instance, last years Razor was priced at $1200.  I said it was a joke at the time and it was.  Who in their right mind would pay that price for that particular Vortex?  Maybe it's just me.  
So the razor scopes are a joke?  Care to elaborate on that?
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2012 at 09:40
Razor binos.  I've never seen a Vortex scope.  Of the numerous optics our hunters have shown up with over the past 10 years I've never seen one of them show up with a Vortex anything.  
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2012 at 10:00
I have several Vortex products that have withstood serious use, and I am as serious a hunter as anybody. This includes my Razor HD spotter and Viper riflescope. I am 100% confident in them and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. In fact, my next scope will likely be either a PST or HS LR.

I don't know how long they need to be around to be seen as legit in JG's eyes but Sheltered Wings, the parent company, has been around since 1989. Vortex continues to bring out high-performing products at lower prices than the competition, and continues to increase market share. They aren't going away anytime soon.
-Matt
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2012 at 10:01

Razor binos.  I've never seen a Vortex scope.  Of the numerous optics our hunters have shown up with over the past 10 years I've never seen one of them show up with a Vortex anything.  
Are you a professional guide or something?

Aren't we in the riflescopes section. Binos are not in question.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2012 at 10:12
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2012 at 10:20
Here's the link to Brock_Brett's torture test, mentioned above.
I don't own any scope I mentioned above, but do have some linked to by others...
http://www.opticstalk.com/topic15930.html
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2012 at 10:24

Are the Razor binos really crap?  Those are the binos I'm currently saving up for.   I'd heard good things about those.  Good thing I read this before I shelled out all that money. 
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2012 at 10:51
Originally posted by ckk1106 ckk1106 wrote:

Are the Razor binos really crap?  Those are the binos I'm currently saving up for.   I'd heard good things about those.  Good thing I read this before I shelled out all that money. 
ck, I don't think JGR actually owns a pair of Razors, he just thinks the price is a joke. He also rolled out of the wrong side of the sleeping bag this morning.

If you are starting to second guess your choice of Razors, go to the Binocular threads and ask questions over there. Some really knowledgeable bino reviewers hang out in those threads, like Klamath, Bird Watcher, Bitterroot Bulls and numerous others. You'll get the straight skinny about Razors.
Also, here's a mini- review by Ilya Koshkin: http://opticsthoughts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47:binoculars-under-900&catid=2:the-rating-scale&Itemid=5
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2012 at 11:00
I have/had no intention of turning this into a Vortex bashing.  I am not bashing anything about Vortex.  The point I was making is that I don't see where they offer anything that's not offered already/elsewhere by the long time established brands.  Maybe I'm wrong.  In regards to the Razor binos, they are great, but the problem is there are many, many great binos for less money that are just as good or better.  I dont know anyone who would pay $1200 for that bino when you can get a mint/demo Swaro SLCneu for $1100. 

SVT- not a professional or expert by any means, just guiding hunters for 10 years that my outfitter/neighbor books.  That's 100 hunters give or take that show up with lots and lots of glass that I get to check out.  Chasing aoudad and pigs starting this weekend BTW.

On the contrary, as Bitterroot has pointed out, the Vortex Razor HD spotter is fantastic. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic