OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hang Fire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hang Fire
    Posted: February/08/2012 at 21:56
I was out trying a batch of reloads for the 25-06 and ran into a hang fire.  The rounds were loaded with 55 gr of R22 (0.5 gr below max) with CCI 200 LR Primers.

Can anyone tell me what would cause this?  I've read 25-06's like near max powder charges, which I'm almost at.  Could it be a weak firing pin or do I have a dangerous situation brewing?  The strange thing is I've been using the same primers for the 280 and I haven't had a single issue.

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2012 at 22:07
How do you seat the primers?

Sometimes misfires occur when the primer isn't seated deeply enough to get the proper "crush" and sometimes they are so deep the pin doesn't get enough of a strike.

Sometimes it is just a bad primer.
-Matt
M7025-06 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2012 at 22:09
I'm using a Lee hand primer and try to seat everything as consistent as I can.  It's very possible I got that primer a little deep.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 00:13

Just one hang fire?  And only in the .25-06.  Have you disassembled the bolt and degreased it? 
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 01:38
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Just one hang fire?  And only in the .25-06.  Have you disassembled the bolt and degreased it? 

Good call. I had a rifle that gave hangfires. I stripped the bolt, cleaned it with a degreasing agent and Bob, s your uncle....no more silly stuff.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 05:59
I was going to ask what the primer looked like after the hang fire. How deep was the pin strike compared to other rounds from that gun that fired okay... Cleaning issues or weak firing pin spring are suspects along with the once in a blue moon bad primer cap.  I too use CCIs and have had two bad primers out of a box of 1000, so...
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

M7025-06 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 07:51

I've had 2 happen in the last couple weeks with primers from different boxes but bought at the same time.  I'll tear down the bolt today before I go out to shoot.

M7025-06 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 07:57
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

I was going to ask what the primer looked like after the hang fire. How deep was the pin strike compared to other rounds from that gun that fired okay... Cleaning issues or weak firing pin spring are suspects along with the once in a blue moon bad primer cap.  I too use CCIs and have had two bad primers out of a box of 1000, so...

It looked normal compared to the rest of 'em.  I even compared them to my 280 (haven't had a problem with it) everything looks normal.  

I had a guy at the gun shop tell me that if the 25-06 (model 70) has a weaker firing pin, I should switch to Federals since they are a tad lighter than CCI's...have no idea if this is true, but I figured for $5, I picked up a box of GM's.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 08:10

While you've got the bolt tore down see how the spring looks.  Should be straight with no kinks. 
M7025-06 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 14:26

While you've got the bolt tore down see how the spring looks.  Should be straight with no kinks. 

Checked it this morning and everything looked good.

I went out and tried another batch of reloads this morning and didn't have a single problem with the Federal primers so maybe that's the problem.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 14:32

Maybe,but I've run alot of CCI's over the yrs and have never had a problem.  Did have one that had no anvil in it.  Bucky   After that I look at them first while in the priming tool before seating.  I use the Lee too.
  Anyway,here's hoping you have no more hang fires.
M7025-06 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 14:58

Maybe,but I've run alot of CCI's over the yrs and have never had a problem.  Did have one that had no anvil in it.  Bucky   After that I look at them first while in the priming tool before seating.  I use the Lee too.
  Anyway,here's hoping you have no more hang fires.

Thanks for the advice...I appreciate it.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 15:02

Thunbs Up 
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 15:55
Another thing you may want to consider is contamination from solvents and lubricants. Anything in the primer pocket, on the primer seating tool (seater punch, tray, etc.), or on your hands if you handle the primers, or spilled on the primer box.
Many lubricants like WD-40 are penetrants, and if they wind on your loaded ammo can wind up in the primer pocket and kill or weaken the primer.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
M7025-06 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 19:50
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Another thing you may want to consider is contamination from solvents and lubricants. Anything in the primer pocket, on the primer seating tool (seater punch, tray, etc.), or on your hands if you handle the primers, or spilled on the primer box.
Many lubricants like WD-40 are penetrants, and if they wind on your loaded ammo can wind up in the primer pocket and kill or weaken the primer.

Thanks for the advice...I went through and cleaned anything that would come into contact with the primers.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic