OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

meopta binocs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hindu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: meopta binocs
    Posted: February/16/2006 at 22:44

has anyone had a chance to look at these binos and if so what did you think. i had been toying back and forth between minox and kahles but am now throwing this one into the ring.

also i can not find anything about their warranty. does anyone know what kind of warranty they come with or how their customer service is.

i know i should try them all side by side but it is a 5 hour drive for me to get anywhere that even carries 2 of the 3. well over that all in all to go to 3 different stores.

CACTEX View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CACTEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2006 at 13:00

Hindu,I've looked through both and was recently faced with your same dilema.I did make a trip to cabelas and tried both and as best i could tried to find differances to help me decide.The Kahles are excellent both in clarity and ergonomics but i preffered the cabelas euros which ARE mioptas  but about $100 less,another factor was the warranty cabelas offers on their binocs.Price,rugedness and optical clarity are about the same,for me i just like the euros design and cabelas no frill warranty.

"Never Squat With Your Spurs On"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2006 at 23:20
If a warranty issue came up years own the road and cabelas dropped these bino's, what would they replace them with? I would go with the Kahles and be done with it if it were me.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2006 at 10:42

Roy makes a good point. 

As a brand new product for Cabela's they are taking a calculated risk as to whether people will buy this new binocular over other, more familiar names. I gaurantee that if they don't sell well, they will be dropped.  And if this happens, your warranty isn't going to be worth much.

Thus, I basically agree with Roy's assessment.  You would be well advised to buy a high quality binocular from one of the well-known, established lines such as Kahles, Leupold Gold Ring, Bushnell Elite, Zeiss ClassiC, Pentax DCF SP, etc. (to name a few in the same general price range as the "European" line) where you can be reasonably assured both the company and the customer support will be there if/when you need it.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Buster1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2006 at 17:48
FWIW, I heard tell yesterday that the Lehi, Utah Cabelas is having a hard time keeping the Cabelas Euros (Meopta's) on the shelf.....
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2006 at 18:38
Going back to what lucznik stated, what about the future? Are they going to replace it with a comparable model, refund your money etc.? Like I said earlier, I think it is prudent to go with something like a Kahles with a long standing reputation for quality

Edited by Roy Finn
CACTEX View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CACTEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2006 at 00:49
Goodpoint guys,but you must remember that unless you go go with "Nikon" you only have a limited warranty on all binocs,And for the most part those warranties do not cover rough handling,dropping them or just poor care.Cabelas is class outfit and in the event one was to call them on their warranty they would replace with a like or similiar product.

Edited by CACTEX
Buster1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2006 at 08:40
Leica and Eaagle Optics both have unconditional, "no fault" warranties........

Edited by Buster1
CACTEX View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CACTEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2006 at 20:16
A list of warranties offered by Eagle Optics....Except For NIKON and LEUPOLD I don't see no fault warranties from Eagle...You can BUY insurance though,Eaglle Optykz is under competitor brand. 
What warranty does my product come with?
Not sure what the warranty of your product is? Take a look at this list to find out! (All warranties are through the individual manufacturer)

Alpen: Limited lifetime warranty

Audubon: Limited lifetime warranty

Bogen Tripods and Heads: 1 Year Limited Warranty

Bushnell: Limited lifetime warranty with the following exceptions
Bushnell NextView Binoculars One Year Warranty
Bushnell Night Vision Two Year Warranty
Bushnell Yardage Pro Laser Rangefinders Two Year Warranty
Bushnell Speedster Speed Gun Two Year Warranty
Bushnell ImageView Two Year Warranty

Canon IS binoculars: 3 years coverage on materials and workmanship.

Celestron: No Fault Lifetime Warranty (Ultima, Noble, and Regal LS) $25 handling fee, Lifetime limited warranty on all spotting scopes.

competitor: All products carry limited lifetime transferable warranty in addition to:
Platinum Protection Warranty transferrable lifetime repair or replace for $20 plus S&H. Valid on Ranger Platinum Class binoculars only.
Eagle Advantage allows transferrable one time repair per product or replacement for any reason for $20 plus S&H.

Fujinon: Limited Lifetime Warranty

Gitzo: Limited Lifetime Warranty

Kahles: Limited Lifetime Warranty

Kowa: Limited Lifetime Warranty

Leupold: Gold Ring series: No fault, lifetime, transferable (no cost) -
Wind River series: Limited Lifetime Warranty

Leica: Binoculars, Scopes, Eyepieces: Lifetime Passport Warranty no charge no-fault warranty ($35 shipping charge after three years of ownership), Rangefinders and Geovids: 5 year Limited Warranty

Meade Captureview Binos: 1 year Limited Warranty

Meopta: 10 Year Limited Warranty

Minox: 30 Year Limited Warranty

Nikon: 25 year Limited Warranty plus lifetime No Fault warranty (fixes anything for $10) on scopes and binoculars.,
Rangefinders and IS binoculars: 1 Year Limited Warranty

Pentax: Digibino has one year limited warranty. Binoculars and scopes: Limited Lifetime Warranty

Radian Tripods: 1 Year Limited Warranty on all tripods except Pro GT which carries a 3 Year Limited Warranty.

Sportoculars: Lifetime Limited Warranty

Steiner: 10 year limited warranty on: Predator 8x30, 12x40, 8x22, 10x26, Military/Marine, Safari, BigHorn, Observer, Rocky, Marine, Navigator, Merlin, “and similar models”.
30 year limited warranty on: Predator 8x32, 8x42, 10x42, 10x50, 12x50, Nighthunter, Senator, Hunting Series, Military/tactical, Commander, Wildlife Pro, Admiral, Peregrine, Harrier, “and similar models”

Swarovski: Limited Lifetime Warranty, Rangefinder: 2 Year Limited Warranty

Swift: All Swift Instruments except those listed below are warranted against defects in material and workmanship for the natural life of the instrument. The following exceptions are listed:
Aerolite Instruments 5 years, Tripods and Accessories 5 years, Weather Instruments 1 year, Marine Instruments 1 year

Vortex:
5 Star Warranty: Lifetime, Transferable, No-Fault. Fixes anything for $10. Also Lifetime Limited.
VIP Warranty: Lifetime, Transferable, No-Fault. Fixes anything for free.

Zeiss: Lifetime Limited Transferable Warranty.

Zhumell: 25 year Limited Warranty.

Please Call 800-289-1132 to receive your FREE competitor Buying Guide!
Government Orders: CLICK HERE for more information.

Canadian FlagVisiting our site from Canada? Click here for competitor.ca
Need help? Call us toll free: (800)289-1132
Email: information@competitor.com or FAX (608)836-4416 anytime.
2120 W. Greenview Dr., Middleton, WI 53562
See our store hours
Merchants - Please click here to learn about our affiliate program.

All text and graphics are copyright competitor unless otherwise noted and may not be copied without the express written consent of competitor. The competitor Website is optimized for Internet Explorer v 5.0 and higher

Edited by CACTEX
CACTEX View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CACTEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2006 at 20:30
Here's Cabbellas,

Cabela's branded products are marketed on a "100% satisfaction guaranteed" basis.  All items advertised have our warranty against defects in workmanship and/or materials.  In some cases, manufacturer warranties received with the product will superceed our own.  In any case, unless otherwise specified, the item must be returned for our inspection.   Obvious abuse is not covered, but if a Cabela's branded product fails in normal use, it can be returned for evaluation at any time. 

Repackage the merchandise and return via ground UPS* or USPS insured, for your protection, to:

Cabela's Customer Returns

400 East Avenue A

Oshkosh, NE 69190

Buster1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2006 at 21:03
As the info you posted states, the E.O. Platinum Rangers are backed by a no fault warranty, same as Nikon, same as Leica. Nikon charges $10.00 plus return shipping, E.O. charges $20.00. The only discrepancy I noticed in the info you posted is that Leica's "Passport" warranty is now lifetime, not 3 years. Nikon's and E.O.'s warranties are also fully transferable, where Leica's warranty is only good for the original buyer.

As far as Leupold goes, I understand they're great at covering factory defects, but I don't know what their stance is on user caused damage.........?

Edited by Buster1
CACTEX View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CACTEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2006 at 21:58
The original subject was meoptas value,quality and warranty.The leicas are top dollar and E.O although good according to reviews are not quite as refined as the meoptas.
Buster1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2006 at 23:16
Right, and you posted that Nikon was the only manufacturer who offered a no fault warranty, which is simply not the case.........

I don't doubt the Meopta's are good binos, but I'm not sure I'd drop $800.00 of my hard earned dollars on them when there's several more proven binos in the same price range, or even less.....YMMV

Edited by Buster1
CACTEX View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CACTEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2006 at 21:20
This is an excerpt form a forum at BirdForum .net...You Decide.
Meopta binoculars

In my opinion these are outstanding bins for the price. I bought a pair at the bird fair and was apparently the first UK owner of the new 7 x 42 model. They had a big outside deck to view from over Rutland Water (at the back of the marquee) and I could not believe the brightness and clarity for the price. I paid 470 GB pounds for my pair which were very similar in performance to bins from Swarovski and Zeiss costing a lot more (I have had other Leica/Zeiss/Swarovski equipment so am familiar with these). Meopta have been making bins and scopes for many years and I predict that they will sell loads of these bins in the UK, as they really are outstanding. I was able to compare with Zeiss and Swarovski of the same specification at the bird fair and the Meopta bins compared very well. The close focus of about 2.5 metres was better that the Swarovski. There are rumours that Meopta actually make lenses for Swarovski and other major bins maufacturers and considering the quality of the glass I would not be surprised. If you're after a bargain pair of the highest quality bins give give these a try. I wouldn't be surprised if they put the price up soon as they represent amazing value for money. Some older birders may remember in the 1980s you could buy Carl Zeiss Jena binoculars from East Germany for bargain prices in the UK - I think Meopta now falls into the same category. Buy while you can!

A very impressed Meopta user

Brin Best

Edited by CACTEX
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2006 at 01:03
CACTEX, with regards to the Cabela's Euro bino's, what is Cabela's idea of a "similar product". We are talking about $800 bino's here. With so many variables and $800 price tags, what is similar or like mean to Cabela's? Read the banter started in a post by SwarvoMI who works for Cabela's. It propelled 5 pages of discussion.

Edited by Roy Finn
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2006 at 08:48

I cannot comment specifically to Roy's question. However, I sincerely doubt you would be disappointed in whatever course Cabelas chose to resolve the issue. They have the best customer service policy on returns without question. I returned a pair of Nikon Monarchs to them a year after I purchased them without a receipt in my possession and they refunded the full amount without question. (I did have the original box though.) If there was one place I would have complete faith in when buying a pair of binoculars it would be Cabelas.

As for the Meopta bins, I looked through the Cabelas Eurobins and would agree that they do compare quite favorably with the Swaro SLCs. I personally do not prefer 10 power so would not buy them for myself but would definitely recommend them for others to consider in that price range.

On another note, I do own one of their scopes, the Hermes I 70 mm and I am very satisfied with both its construction and the view it provides. Though CA is present to some extent on high contrast objects I would not call it significant to the point where it lessens the optical experience. For that price range I think the optics are excellent.

Frank
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2006 at 21:11
To all, I spoke with the VP of Marketing and sales and he stated that regardless of the deal with the Cabela's Euro bino's, they would stand behind the product for repairs or warranty.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2006 at 17:57
If you really like like the the Meopta's, why not just get just and be done with it. I don't know what the difference is between the Cabela's Euro and the equivalency Meta model, but why chance disappointment if a problem comes up?
CACTEX View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CACTEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2006 at 19:32
You're right,The only thing is Cabelas Euros only come in 10x and in some instances that can be too much,They do sport a wide field of view though.Thank You for your info, I'll get back with you.I'm taking my kids skiing for spring break up in Colorado this week,Hope I can come back in one piece...I may buy them on the way overthere,Later Amigo...Cactex.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic