OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Recoil direction?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recoil direction?
    Posted: February/16/2006 at 20:58
When a gun is fired which way are the scope and rings pushed by the recoil? I figured it would be forced rearward by the recoil but have since wondered after I noticed Sako has both sets of bases tapered towards the rear of the receiver. Is the scope actually pushed foward after a shot is fired? What explains this? Thanks again, Sam
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2006 at 12:16

I wish someone else would have answered this one. Perhaps another member of the forum will weigh in on this post & be a bit more technical than I'm gonna be . I don't know the logic behind the Sako, but I read an article about this question in a magazine once....I'll do the best I can from memory.

The base, rings and scope are stationary. The rifle moves sharply rearward under recoil, it's the bases job to ensure the rings and scope move rearward during recoil. The article advocated lighter scopes on heavier recoiling rifles. The lighter the scope, the less energy the base and base screws had to absorb to move the scope & rings rearward, they bear the brunt of the recoil. After the shot, everything moves forward again due to resistance from the shooters shoulder, but with minimal force.

Again, I hope someone else can be a bit more technical.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2006 at 12:35

Stud Duck is pretty much right on the money.  The scope and rings are trying to remain stationary while the rifle itself is pushed back by recoil.  A backward tapering base just pushes the rings toward a wider part of the base.  That's why with Sako rings a lot of people tighten them somewhat snug then fire a couple of rounds, then tighten a litle more.  The recoil actually mates the rings to the base.

ILya

bill47 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2006 at 12:54

I'm not sure I buy the concept of forward scope creep from the shooter's shoulder.

I think it is due to a loose fit between the rings and the scope.

1. base is bolted to the receiver

2. rings  are bolted to the base

3. scope is a friction fit in the rings

The recoil pushes the receiver, base, and rings back.  If the scope is loose, everything else moves back while the scope remain stationary.  The end effect is forward creep of the scope.

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2006 at 15:19
It's simple inertia.  An object at rest wants to remain at rest.  If the scope is at all loose in the rings, the effect is that it "moves forward" during recoil.  What's actually happening is that the rifle, mount, and rings are moving back and the scope is stationary.  I don't shoot heavy recoiling rifles, but when I mounted a scope on my Ruger .454 Casull I had a heck of a time getting the rings tight enough to hold the scope.  It was scratched badly form moving in the rings.
Bender View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2006 at 08:33

Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

but when I mounted a scope on my Ruger .454 Casull I had a heck of a time getting the rings tight enough to hold the scope.  It was scratched badly form moving in the rings.

You could use 2 component epoxy to glue the scope to the rings as most gunsmiths do around here. I've glued all my scopes to the rings, and bases to the rifle because I've seen many to come loose on powerful rifles.

I noticed that is not the practice across the pond - why?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic