OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

223 deer load for 1 and 8 twist AR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 223 deer load for 1 and 8 twist AR
    Posted: February/05/2012 at 11:57
Im not here to debate this issue. If you have issues with 223 on deer go out and buy a drury outdoors video and watch mark and taylor drury shoulder shoot 300+ pound bucks with a TC 223.
Here is what I am thinking barnes tsx 69 grain and varget. If anyone has experimented with good ACCURATE hunting load for 223 your insight would be much appreciated! 
Thanks Selsor  
Dont take yourself to seriously
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2012 at 13:29
200-300 lb hogs are taken here (Texas) with the following:

Barnes TSX
Sierra Game Kings SPS
Win Ballistic Silver Tips

55-69 grainers and all have been under MOA with w/ 1-8 twist

So something soft as a deer should be no problem with proper shot placement.

Eagle

Edited by EAGLE - February/05/2012 at 13:36
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2012 at 15:40
I don't think Barnes makes a .22 cal 69 gr TSX, but they make a 62 and 70 gr. They also make a TTSX 62 gr.
I've gotten good accuracy/power with the 62 gr. in a 1:8 twist using TAC, H4895 and N201, but any powder in that speed range would work. You'll likely get the highest velocities with either TAC or AA2520. You'll be crunching powder with compressed loads if you go with Varget, but if you already have a can, go for it, as it makes accurate .223 loads. If you'll be loading closer to 5.56 specs rather than .223, Varget probably isn't your best choice for a hunting load as you give up velocity.

While almost all mfg.'s make a .224 hunting bullet from 55-70gr., I chose the 62 gr. TSX as it fared well in reviews- good accuracy, terminal performance and it doesn't come apart.
I haven't actually hunted with the load, so no anecdotes on performance.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2012 at 15:45
I used 60 gr. Nosler partitions this past fall over 25.0 grains of H-335 using CCI primers.  They grouped ok and did get the job on a doe. 

My favorite load so far is a 60 gr. Hornady V-max over 25.3 grains of H-335.  These grouped really nice.

These were shot out of an 16 inch barreled AR with a 1 in 9 twist.
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2012 at 22:15
Alan what is your top choice of the powders you mentioned for this particular purpose. Keep in mind this is out of an AR so I dont want my loads to hot! And if you dont mind whats your powder charge with the tsx.
Fire man from Minnesota I will have to give those vmax a try too. But only for varmints. Dont think it would be the best for deer since their designed to explode

Thanks for the feed back guys. Cant wait to tweak this load

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2012 at 07:40
Howdy jselsor,
This particular AR has a Wylde chamber ss20"/1:8 barrel and I usually load it hotter than .223. I'll just say the load is under 5.56 max and a shade under 3Kfps and the soft WSR primers were getting a bit flat. Twist rate/barrel length influence velocity.

TAC is a great hunting/high- velocity powder in an AR and it is very clean, inexpensive, meters well, accurate, etc. I really like it. There wasn't anything wrong with other powders/loads mentioned, just hit a sweet spot/accurate/hot with 1st try w/TAC/TSX, so stopped trying. TSX are spendy and box was running dry. Some shooters don't like TAC because it's double- based and they think it will burn out barrels faster- beats me. I realized long ago that if I'm going to get/stay proficient, I need to shoot, so new barrels are inevitable, so who cares.
 Service Rifle competitors use powders other than TAC.

Here are Barnes links to .223 and 5.56 load data:
http://www.barnesbullets.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/223RemingtonWeb.pdf

http://www.barnesbullets.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/5.56-Nato.pdf

Here's Ramshot link:
http://www.ramshot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/ramshot_handgun_rifle.pdf

BTW, that SS 3-9 is s.n. 223 (sorry, SVT... or not).

Edited by Alan Robertson - February/06/2012 at 08:09
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2012 at 11:14
Thanks man
 That gives me a good starting point! I wish I had enough time to burn up a barrel! It would give me an excuse to tear it down and tinker... I just had my first child and dont get to shoot near as much as would like to.. Wouldnt change it for anything tho.. Reloading has given me a good at home hobby. 
I have mainly been using varget for 308 loads and look forward to giving  TAC a try.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2012 at 14:22
I shot some handloads this weekend in my new .223 CZ.  Two bullets -- Barnes 53g TSX and the 60g nosler partitions.  In MY rifle, the partitions shot better based on the load I had worked up.  In my rifle, the COL for bullets touching the lans is 2.215 for the partitions and 2.225 for the Barnes.

60gr NPT - 27.0C Varget - COL: 2.215 (touching lans).  Best group:  3 shot, .3" at 50yds
53gr TSX - 27.0C Varget - COL: 2.205 (.02 off lans).  Best group: 3 shot, 1" at 50yds

I think the TSX has more accuracy potential, so I intend to play with seating depth and charge a little.  I'll be with my chrony this weekend so I can play with it some more.  Today I received some Hornady 55gr GMX bullets, so I'll be loading some of those to try.  Will probably load the GMX's with a little room for jump off of the lans like the TSX, but these bullets are relatively new to me, so I'm not sure what to expect.  I'll also have some chrony readings for all of these.  My barrel is 23.6", by the way.  Good thing about these loads is that wind really wasn't a factor, and on 16x with the Viper and my solid machined rest, I was able to take out most of the human error component from these groups, so I know better which loads are giving me fliers and which loads aren't.  I also intend to try H4895 on the GMX/TSX loads this go round, because from what I've seen, the load data predicts similar velocities to Varget but with uncompressed charges, allowing me more precision in seating and consistency.  Good luck to you.  I also should point out that I believe the Nosler load may be slightly above some maximums listed for the bullet/powder.  MY results were accurate groups.  I also had NO pressure signs in MY rifle.  No idea if these would be safe in your rifle, or any other, for that matter.  Best of luck.

Deck
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2012 at 16:36
Hope I didn't discourage your use of Varget as it does give some of the better velocities for bullets in this weight range loaded to magazine length, just compressed, as typical for Varget. I could have easily had best starting groups with Varget, but happened to be out of stock for initial tests of TSX. If I'd had any 2520 on hand, I might have even bumped my speed up a bit...

Varget and H4895 are both highly accurate in many .223 loads and for everything I load with them, just like N201, since I mentioned it. I tend to be stingy with N201 though, since it's pricey and hard to find and I stock it for a couple of specific loads/calibers where it is superb.
There are many great powders for .223... I keep telling myself I'm gonna cut down and have fewer types on hand, but it never works out like that. If I had to have just one rifle powder, it would probably be H4895 (or some 4895 variant,) as I could at least get some kind of decent load in all calibers.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2012 at 16:49
It would be beneficial for me to use the varget for all my rifle loads (223,308,300wsm,30-06)
This way I can justify buying the big jug! The good ol KISS method. 

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2012 at 19:09
Originally posted by jselsor jselsor wrote:

It would be beneficial for me to use the varget for all my rifle loads (223,308,300wsm,30-06)
This way I can justify buying the big jug! The good ol KISS method.
That'll work! Excellent plan- you'll learn all the ins and outs of Varget. Like my friend John R. says, "I love the smell of Varget in the morning".

I just counted and have on hand 20 different cans of powder and need more.
An obvious case of some sort of serious affliction...

As an alternative hunting bullet, I've also gotten excellent accuracy w/ Sierra's 65 gr. SBT, which costs less. Others report that they can grenade on close shots, but that's just a characteristic of boat tails, imho. Just about everybody makes a decent hunting bullet for the .223.

My fave all- around 1:8 bullet is Hornady's 75 gr. BTHP Match, which is often sold in bulk and on sale. It isn't a "hunting" bullet, but it works great in 1 in 8 and you can reach way out there with it.  You could say that I'm just cheap and like bullets on sale.

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2012 at 19:24
Excellent pics, Alan. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2012 at 13:02
Thanks!
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2012 at 19:33
Alan if I let myself I could def be like you with the 20 cans of powder! I love to tinker at my reloading bench and even more at the range. Those barnes bullets look wicked. They are on my list to order.  I have heard that those game kings mushroom very well but dont do so good with shoulder blades. I am anxious to show up to deer camp next year and set my 223 on the rifle rack next to everyone's overkill 300's. 
I will also give those hornady's a try. Thanks again
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2012 at 20:08
The 75 gr horniday is a favorite.  I do load some 69gr hpt and some 60VMAX but the 75 gr Horniday works nicely.  I am sure that the Nosler Partitions and the Barnes  bullets will preform nicely on game where other bullets are likely to break up.  One of my sons wont shoot anything but the 75 gr Hornidays because he thinks it knocks stuff down a lot better.
I tend to use only two powders for .223   RL5 and Varget.  Seating depth makes a lot of difference.

http://www.whiteoakprecision.com/info-reloading.htm

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
preacherman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote preacherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2012 at 13:50
I have the M4  bushmaster myself. IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE IF YOU ARE SHOOTING 223 CIVILIAN RNDS. Is yours a ar15/16 variant? If it is then I highly reccomend RL15or Vargent at 2700 fps any more fps and your weapon will shoot loose much quicker on top of that if you are loading military brass you will invariably over load. Vargent is very good and a  match worthy powder the same could be said for RL15 it is however a bit more temp sensitive. We carry them out here as a "truck weapon"
 ItWinks great for those wolves particularly when they are in a killing frenzy Wink
men with guns who are free are called "citizens" without weapons they are called "subjects and or slaves"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote preacherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2012 at 13:55
223 or AR15's are one of the best by the way the bullet I recommend is the 75 grain hornady they are held to tighter tolerances than sierra bullets are. Sorry for not mentioning the bullet weight and make in my earlier posts
men with guns who are free are called "citizens" without weapons they are called "subjects and or slaves"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2012 at 15:39
I am a huge fan of 75 grain hornadys as well.  They have all shot very well out of 4 different 7 and 8 twist AR barrels I have tried.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote preacherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2012 at 16:56
I bought a box of match 5.56 with 75 grain Hornadys my first group from my M4 went into less than 1/2MOA.

in my 338 the SST 225 hornady they do a hair over 1/2 MOA and in my O3A4 sniper rifle from WWII they did 3/8 to 1/2 MOA with a notable fluke group of .26

All mentioned groups were fired at 100 yards and all with Hornady's

The Hornady company holds the highest match standards of any of the big three, hornady, speer, and sierra. I used to think it was Sierra, but I was wrong. I called them all Sierras standard was 1.5 inches at 200 yrds thats ,75 MOA. I called Speer just for the heck of it cause I won't use em anymore and haven't for 20 years theirs was also .75 MOA  Hornady however was 9/10s at 200 yrds that translates into 7/16ths MOA. They can and regularly do much better than standards but in Long Range 1000 yrd minimums a difference is the difference between a  7 and 1/2 inch group A loss when going against a 4.79 inch group ... a winner. I have seen super accurate 308's and 06's shoot regular groups between 1/4 and 3/8th inch groups all day long WITH HORNADY'S My .338 will start its shooting life with me with a 285 grain match Hornady's I suspect That will group well under MOA with a .700 BC to thrown in there for fun. Good shooting

SEMPER FI
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 21:43
Well finally got my barnes 70 grain tsx deer killers in today! Their isnt much reload data in reference to varget and these bullets. What do you guys think about this to start? These babies are to expensive to work up a load! I already loaded 10 of these and it is def a compressed load. Worried it may be to much??????
70 gr tsx with 25 grains varget

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic