OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris and Pentax

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bullpup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris and Pentax
    Posted: February/16/2006 at 15:53
  I have looked at both the Burris and Pentax scopes in 4.5-14x4.  I am currious to know if there is any difference between the two scopes.  They look like they are exactly the same except for the name on the side.  Are they made by Burris? Do they have a warranty?  And what would be the better scope.  I'm looking at a scope to put on a .22-250.  Thanks in advance for the information.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2006 at 16:07
Pentax scopes are made for them by Burris using Pentax glass and coatings. Optically, the Pentax is probably closest to the Signature Select from what  recall, but it has been awhile since I looked through the Pentax. I do recall the Pentax used the original Burris scope tubes which, like Chris here said, look like Mag Lites. The newer Burris scopes use a more streamlined objective housing making them more flexible to mount.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2006 at 16:20

That used to be true, Roy, but has changed not too long ago.

Current Pentax riflescopes are relabeled Burris scopes, glass and all.

Pentax Lightseeker scopes of various flavors are relabeled Burris Signature and Black/Euro Diamond scopes.

Pentax Pioneer scopes are relabeled Burris Fullfield II.

If you choosing between Pentax and Burris, you can sometimes find a better deal on a comparable Pentax.  Same scope though.

ILya

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2006 at 17:17
Thanks koshkin, did they get rid of that MagLite shaped scope tube?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2006 at 17:25

I am not sure what you mean by the "Maglite shaped scope tube" to be honest.

You can see what their curent scopes look like on riflescopes.com or www.burrisoptics.com and http://www.pentaxlightseeker.com/

ILya

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2006 at 18:09
Looks like a police issue flashlight, oversized head. Chris joked about that one time and it stuck with me. A cop thing I guess.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2006 at 18:11

I think some of them still have that shape.

ILya

ksbarter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksbarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2006 at 20:13
So which Burris would the Light Seekers on the samplelist,

4924 Pentax 4-16x44 A/O Light Seeker

be comparable to.

Thanks

Kent

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2006 at 23:52
I think that is the equivalent of a Burris Signature Select.

ILya
bullpup View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bullpup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2006 at 09:32
  Thanks for the info.  Is there any difference in quality between the two.  I was looking at the Pioneer 4.5-15x42.  I have a Burris FFII with the exact same specs and I love it.  However if I can get the same thing for less money that would be great.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.  Thanks again for the information.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2006 at 11:47

Pentax Pioneer and Burris Fullfield II are one and the same.

ILya

Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2006 at 15:25

I have a Pentax Whitetails Unlimited its a great little scope and I am very happy with it.  Plus, I got a very good deal when I bought it.  So, what would the WTU model be compared to in the Burris line???

PS

Yes, it does look like a flashlight LOL but I wouldnt change a thing

Thanks

AC

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2006 at 16:05

Whitetails Unlimited began life when Pentax still used their own glass and Burris mechanicals, so it really depends on how old your scope is.  Current WU scopes are, I beileve, on par with Burris Fullfield II and Pentax Pioneer.

It is the same with Lightseeker scopes.  I have a Lightseeker 2-8x32 that's a few years old, and that still has Pentax glass.  It is comparable to Burris Signature, but not identical.  Current Lightseekers are for the most part relabeled Signature Select and Black/Euro Diamond scopes, but Lightseeker SG, for example is a Fullfield II 2.5x30 and Lightseeker SL is a Buris Short Mag.

ILya

Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2006 at 00:26

Thanks, yes mine is a couple years old..so it is the Burris built Pentax glass model.  I always thought it was an in between model.  I like the glass a little better than my friends full field but I dont think it is quite up there with the Burris Signature line.

Pentax has a great following in their binocular line and unfortunitly people forget about their scopes.  All of the Pentax scopes I looked through have been very good.  The lightseeker is still one of my favorite scopes.

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic