OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Heading to SWFA Today. Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heading to SWFA Today. Help
    Posted: February/02/2012 at 08:19
I've narrowed my choices to a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44, Viper 4-12x40, and Diamonback 4-12x40.  I guess I'm dead-set on trying out a vortex this go-round.  I'm putting it on a CZ527 in .223 Rem.  I've never really used BDC turrets for hunting/shooting, but I kind of want to learn, and I've heard great things about the Vortex brand and figured I'd give them a chance.  My questions are (1) Is the Viper worth $200 more than the Diamondback?  (2)  If so, is the Viper HS worth another $100 over the standard Viper.  Skylar told me that the viper and diamondback glass is pretty close, so is it worth the extra scratch to get the HS?  One thing that sticks in my head is that there is a possibility that I could go elk hunting in the fall in a new place that would allow shots up to 400 yds or more, so with any of these scopes I would have the option of re-mounting on either my .300 Win Mag or .338 Win Mag. in place of my VXII 3-9x40.  The Concquest would be my other consideration, but at $879, it's out of the budget.  Thanks in advance.

Deck

Edited by DCAMM94 - February/02/2012 at 09:23
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 08:30
I'd go with the standard Viper, I used one on a 300 win mag with no problems.  Loved that scope.  wish i still had it. 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 08:31
ive got a viper on my .375H&H, works great. 
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 09:20
Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 and never look back.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 09:31
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

That's kind of where I'm leaning.  Thanks.  Hopefully Chris has all of them handy so I can look through them and make a more informed decision.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 09:33
that would probably be the best way to figure it out, look at them all outside.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Shelley@SWFA View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelley@SWFA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 10:09

C'mon

Summer@SWFA View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summer@SWFA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 10:49
Mounted  a Viper HS 4-16x50 with a BDC on my .243 Tuesday.
Big Grin
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 11:52
Originally posted by Shelley@SWFA Shelley@SWFA wrote:

C'mon

Be there around 130.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 15:28
Ended up going with the Viper HS.  I know some folks say they can't tell much difference between the glass on the Viper HS and the Diamondback, but to my eyes, they were like night and day.  Two words for folks putting these scopes on a CZ527 with a rear sight.  Won't work...at least without removing the rear sight.  Even with Warne high rings, Chris and I couldn't get it to work.  I ended up going with the medium rings, and I'll remove the rear sight.  Hope this helps anyone in the market. 

Also, thanks to Chris and Skylar at SWFA for their great customer service and patience.  Worth the drive from Fort Worth without at doubt.

Deck
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 20:16
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

Thunbs Up   Good choice

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 20:33
No Pics
take em!
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 21:39
Originally posted by DCAMM94 DCAMM94 wrote:

Ended up going with the Viper HS.  I know some folks say they can't tell much difference between the glass on the Viper HS and the Diamondback, but to my eyes, they were like night and day.  Two words for folks putting these scopes on a CZ527 with a rear sight.  Won't work...at least without removing the rear sight.  Even with Warne high rings, Chris and I couldn't get it to work.  I ended up going with the medium rings, and I'll remove the rear sight.  Hope this helps anyone in the market. 

Also, thanks to Chris and Skylar at SWFA for their great customer service and patience.  Worth the drive from Fort Worth without at doubt.

Deck

Everybody sees things differently, but I have seen the Diamondbacks and Viper HS series side by side, and I would say the optical differences are rather large.  The PST/HS series has got some tough reviews (especially the 2.5-10) here on the OT, and from people that know what they are talking about, but I have a pretty high opinion of their optical performance, especially the 4-16X50.  I like that scope a lot, and much more than the Diamondbacks, which I still think are a pretty good value.
-Matt
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2012 at 09:22
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

No Pics

I'll try to take one when I get home and post it.  The wood on the CZ may be the best I've ever seen on a rifle that cost less than $1000.  Scope looks nice, too.  On another note, after mounting, I realized that the bolt is just barely touching the mag ring on the scope in the full open position.  Wish I'd gone with the Warne highs now; at less than .1" higher, it would have been a better fit.  The bolt still opens and closes, fine, but when you open it, it just kisses the rubber stippling.  So close, in fact, that last night after mounting I put a cabela's retail receipt between the bolt and eyepiece, opened the bolt, and then opened the bolt.  The open bolt bound the receipt between the bolt and the mag ring.  Not sure if I want to live with that or go back and get the highs.  Thoughts?

EDIT:  Here's the rifle just before I mounted the scope.

Edited by DCAMM94 - February/03/2012 at 09:35
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2012 at 09:29
If i recal there is a company that will modify your bolt if you want, I will look around to see if I can find it,  Lots of folks have this done being it is a common problem on CZ's and they don't wanna jack the scope any higher than they have too.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2012 at 09:36
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

If i recal there is a company that will modify your bolt if you want, I will look around to see if I can find it,  Lots of folks have this done being it is a common problem on CZ's and they don't wanna jack the scope any higher than they have too.

That would be great.  Thanks.

Deck
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2012 at 10:21
http://www.jamescalhoon.com/pricelist.php
Go down about a third the page and you will see the CZ bolt mod.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2012 at 10:47
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

A buddy of mine said he had his bolt changed by CZ. And if I remember correctly he said is cost him $35.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2012 at 10:51
Thanks SVT!  $44.00 is certainly manageable.  That's great info.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2012 at 11:10
Glad to be of assistance. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic