OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

picked this up today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2012 at 15:52
Roll on Floor Laughing
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2012 at 15:53
You get fowlers with custom ammo?, ask for a refund.
I'm classic shag nasty type.
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2012 at 17:57
I never heard that term before either but, that is what they have written down on the paper work. Maybe it was a misspelling?Whatever
Tuff crowd here Wink   -  Oh well

Edited by rustic - February/16/2012 at 23:50
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 09:13
Ease up on rustic; I understand what he is trying to say. I think he lacks experience, and has trouble making his point, but his heart is in the right place, and he is trying to learn.
If he is trying to B.S. us, then shame on him, but if he is having a communication problem, then I think we need to cut him some slack.
Anybody here that didn't do or buy something they shouldn't have when they started out?
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 09:19
Flyers have more to do with the rifle than the ammo.  We all know or should know there is a difference in POI between clean cold bore, cold bore, and warm bore shots.  Some rifle barrels are worse than others in that regard.  The fact that his target looks like that is nothing really unusual. 

If Corbon did what they claim, they cleaned his bore very good, probably down to bare metal.  So that first shot should be off from the group as that would have been a clean cold bore shot.  In reality for a hunting gun, that shot is not that far off the mark. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 09:37
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Flyers have more to do with the rifle than the ammo.  We all know or should know there is a difference in POI between clean cold bore, cold bore, and warm bore shots.  Some rifle barrels are worse than others in that regard.  The fact that his target looks like that is nothing really unusual. 

If Corbon did what they claim, they cleaned his bore very good, probably down to bare metal.  So that first shot should be off from the group as that would have been a clean cold bore shot.  In reality for a hunting gun, that shot is not that far off the mark. 

thats a dead deer either way i look at it
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 09:54

Fowlers or foulers,I thought he was meaning no fires or hangfires with that custom ammo.  Ok,fliers.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 10:41
I called what the deal was the shot on the right(the one that is way off) is where I had the scope set at. When I bought a few boxes when I first bought the rifle to try it out "off the shelf" Corbon ammo.
The other much better shots on the left were after adjustment of the scope.

I do know the rifle shots a lot better for me after the custom work-up was done.

I guess I better increase my "shooters vocabulary" on here other wise the mocking will only get worse.Wink 
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 11:12
Thanks for those pics!

I am jealous. Make sure to keep that bore clean with all those Barnes goin' down the tube.
-Matt
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 11:24
Ok, here is what I'm getting from the taget and rustic's discription, with some edumacation.
The first shot on the right is a fouling shot (not a fowling, like a bird,shot). It is intended to foul or dirty the bore, and remove any trace oil and solvent that may be left in the bore that could effect first round point of impact (POI) from point of aim (POA). This is something that should be done before  any serious shot is made; since a clean bore shot is often unpredictable on POI.
The group on the left (a number of shots fired at the same aiming point) is the accuracy potential of the rifle and ammunition combination. Scope adjustment has nothing to do with group size, unless scope adjustments are made during the group shots, which would negate the group for any practical purpose.
After a group has been fired, the sights (scope) can be adjusted so that the group's POI can match the POA.
In the case of rustic's target, for a 100yd zero, I would move the sights so that the group moved a 1/2" up and 1/2" right; assuming the squares or grids are 1" square.
Hope this helps.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 11:56
Rustic,

Is that a 100 yard target? Some gunmakers (like Cooper) and custom ammo places ship 50 yard targets with their products.
-Matt
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 12:27
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Rustic,

Is that a 100 yard target? Some gunmakers (like Cooper) and custom ammo places ship 50 yard targets with their products.

It is an underground 100yd range I have shot in it.
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 12:47
This the paper work.

Untitled by rustic1988, on Flickr
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 14:30
Hey rustic,
You can take up reloading and learn to produce equally accurate ammo for that rifle.
Looks like the crew at Corbon did a really fine job... if they only knew how to spell 'fouler'.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 14:36
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

Hey rustic,
You can take up reloading and learn to produce equally accurate ammo for that rifle.
Looks like the crew at Corbon did a really fine job... if they only knew how to spell 'fouler'.
Could have saved some confusion.
But heck, I can't spell eethurBucky
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 14:45
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

Hey rustic,

I am trying to do research on reloading so I don't get into something over my head. Like I said in the past I just bought the cheapest ammo off the shelf to hunt with. The last few years with ammo prices going crazy I have wanted to try something else like buying custom ammo then maybe reloading or whatever.

I do like the guys at Corbon I have know'n some of them for many years just a simple mistake... no big.
I do wish I kept the brass from the ammo I shot up this past weekend though... oh well. 
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2012 at 14:19
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

On Feb 1. Got the rifle.
Feb 2 has  got the rifle back from Corbon after getting the service work and the ammunition fabricated and then to shoot 250 rounds at PDs.
 (Our service includes:
 Meticulous cleaning of your gun and barrel to remove years of copper build up
 Check the scope, mounts and rings to ensure they are tight and properly seated
 Inspect the barreled action to ensure it is properly bedded in your rifle stock
 Custom Ammo loaded and designed expressly for the specific task*
 Sight in your gun for maximum point blank range
 Gun returned with test targets and ballistic print out up to 1000 yards for rifles, 500 yards for pistols
 All work and loads kept on file for future reference
 All guns will be shipped UPS and insured

*Loaded ammunition is available for both rifles and pistols at an additional cost*

You must be like a son to the guys at Corbond for them to drop everything going on for that fast of service. I am very Impressed

From what I get the $450 is for the workup.  The ammunition is $47.89 for 20 rounds at 2009 prices from the Corbon catalog I have.
This is $2.39 per round. He said thousands of rounds so at 2000 rounds
2000 X 2.39 =                          $4,780.00
Plus the workup fee              + $   450.00
                                                 $5,230.00   He has had this done for 3 rifles this spring =$15,690.00
Plus this one.   $20,920.00  I am not sure I have spent that much for all the ammunition I have ever reloaded and shot. No ever shot.
No wonder he has to cut corners on the scope.
That kind of money would buy two top of the line custom rifles with top of the line scopes, and a reloading setup..... I know what I'd have done. (made 2 spots in the gun safe!) Bucky

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 16:41
Before

After

Cutting these crosses out of the forend of the stock knocked 5.76oz off the weight of the rifle.
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 17:23
Didn't that take all the stiffness out of the fore end!? I want my stock to be stiff there.                        

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 17:25
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

Didn't that take all the stiffness out of the fore end!? I want my stock to be stiff there.                        

I can't tell any difference at all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
  Share Topic