OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AO for hunting and targets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AO for hunting and targets
    Posted: February/01/2012 at 17:59
Hi everyone im new to this website and new to using optics for that matter.  I have been reading posts about using AO scopes and how they operate so i have some kind of small understanding about how they work. I couldnt find an answer to my question so I am posting it here. I am wanting to scope a remington 700 .308 and use it for both target shooting and hunting white tail.  The scope i am looking at in particular is a Zeiss 4.5-14x44AO. 

What I want to know is that since most non AO scopes have a parallax set at 100 or 150 yards, if i set an AO scope at 100 or 150 yards wouldnt i get the same level of accuracy as with a non AO scope that is set up in a similar way?  Im asking because i wouldnt want to bother adjusting the AO when im out hunting, but would also like to use that feature for punching paper.

anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 18:39
I don't know all the technical details to give you a scientific answer. But that's what I do with my AO scope. At the range or if I have time to fiddle with it (prairie dogs etc..) I will set it. Otherwise walking around the woods I leave it at 75 or 100 yards. Good enough to put meat in the freezer.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 20:42
same with me... I leave mine set at 100yds while hunting.  I haven't had to mess with it.
take em!
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 21:15
Yep it'll have the same effect! Zeiss is a good choice too!
Old Mil ftw
Gil P. View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 23:28
  Thats a relief, thanks far answering my question guys.  I thin an AO scope will definitely fit my needs. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic