OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

1999 Kahles AH 3-9x42

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 153 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1999 Kahles AH 3-9x42
    Posted: January/31/2012 at 20:05
How would a 1999 year model Kahles  rate against a new VX3 Leupold or Meopta Meostar? Looking for best scope in low light for deer hunting. 13 years old for a scope but I know was/is top tier scope.
dw0229 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dw0229 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 01:15
Your Kahles is still considered a very high quality scope my me and many others.Also a very bright scope.I feel it is brighter than any VX-3 and as far as Meopta goes,they dont make the Meostar in a 3-9x42 but a Meopro,which in my opinion would be a lateral move.A step up would be the Meostar in a 3-12x56 as you say you are looking for a good low light scope.These are very bright and a good buy,($849@swfa), but you do have a fine scope and is no slouch for low light hunting.
woodydog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 09:02
 HI the khales is better glass than the two others your looking at, it depends at what range you are thinking of shooting at i have used a s/b 6x42 on small deer out to 260m in low light without any problems. atb Mick.
woodydog
dw0229 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dw0229 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 14:49

In my comparing Kahles to Meopta there is not a nickel's difference between the two;especially from a hunter's perspective.What you can do if you are wanting to be a little brighter is move on up to a 56 mm objective;it's hard to argue the sheer physics that a 56mm wont be brighter than a 42mm,that is with all other things being equal.But this is not going to be anything huge my no means.Plus there is to some a disadvantage of a heavier,bulkier scope that will require higher mounting.Is it worth it?Well that's a matter of perspective. If the bulkier,higher mounting factor doesn't bother you ,move on up to a 56mm.You will be a little brighter plus I think they look kinda cool;like big mudders on a truck.

Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 16:21
There is some debate over this, but a 56mm objective isn't going to be brighter.. .or perceived brighter than a 42.... but will allow you to use a higher mag compared to the 42.  
take em!
dw0229 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dw0229 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 01:19
In my observations a 56 mm vs. 42 mm with all things being equal the 56 mm is brighter.The folks at Zeiss and Swarovski strongly defend this position as I have asked their opinion.If you call the customer service at either Zeiss or Swarovski and tell them you are looking for a low light scope they are going to point you to a 50mm or 56mm objective(been there done that).Zeiss even says that there is no difference in light transmission between a 1"tube and a 30mm tube as I  have seen them state in one of their promo videos.This is also is debated on a regular basis my many people,but I tend to put a lot of stock in folks who have been quality optics for, oh about 100 years.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 20:47
fair enough
take em!
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 21:09
I think it is like a funnel. No matter the diameter of the big end. is the diameter of the little end determines the output. 
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Brad4213 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad4213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 22:54
wouldnt that somewhat disprove the theory that a 1" tube is the same as a 30mm?
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 23:01
No! Tube size has nothing to do with exit pupil diameter.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Brad4213 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad4213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 23:08
I didnt think so but the funnel comment i guess confused me.Whacko
glogin View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glogin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2012 at 10:00
Meostar 3-12x56 is great low light scope, especially R1r verion with illuminated reticle
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic