OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

box test

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad4213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: box test
    Posted: January/31/2012 at 15:19
ive read on here a few times, but i dont understand what passing the box test means and also read sweet spot, which i can only assume is the magnification and distance where the scope is the clearest, im new to this forum thing, this is only my second post and i would like to become more knowlegable on optics and how to use them to better benefit my hunting and shooting capabilities. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Whacko
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 19:14
box test is when once you've zeroed your scope, you use the turrets to move the impact.  First you would move right by 4 clicks and shoot, then move it 4 clicks down and shoot, then 4 clicks left and shoot and finally 4 clicks up and shoot.  there should be 4 holes in your target in the shape of a box and they should be about inch apart..... if your scope is set to 4 clicks per inch at 100 yds.  Make sense? 
take em!
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 19:28
A box test is to see if the adjustments of the scope are repeatable and reliable.

The "sweet spot" is usually referring the center of sight picture through the scope. This usually the best view through the scope, and the better the glass the larger the "sweet spot" is. Whereas lesser glass will have softer edges and maybe even some "milky" appearing glass. 
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Brad4213 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad4213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 22:05
TIP69 that makes perfect sense, thank you for the explanation.Big Grin billy that also makes sense. thank you both for the help
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 09:44
For the box test I would move it alot more than just 4 or so clicks.  Optimally if you really want to test your scopes adjustments you want to move them to extremes. 

If it is a hunting scope that you just zero and leave it alone a box test is not really that important.

If it is a scope that you will be spinning turrets a lot and that is a rifle where repeatability and accuracy is very important then you will need to box test it to make sure the adjustments are true and repeatable.

Doing a box test at 25 to 50 yards is actually a really good idea.  The closer you are to the target the more clicks it will take to move the POI a given amount.  If 1 click is 1/4 moa at 100 yards then it would take 4 clicks at 25 yards to equal that 1/4 moa.   Also you want to do your box test on paper that has box grid of some sort on it, so you can verify that it is moving exactly how much it is suppose to.  So at 25 yards it would take 12 clicks to move it 1 moa.  So if you can move it 3 or 4 moa then it would take 36 to 48 clicks to move it that much.  That is going to test your scope much better than moving it just a little bit.  It will also take some of the shooter error out of it as it is easier to shoot good groups at closer ranges. 

After that is done, I would still test it at 100 and 200 yards, just to re-verify everything.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 10:08
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

For the box test I would move it alot more than just 4 or so clicks.  Optimally if you really want to test your scopes adjustments you want to move them to extremes. 

If it is a hunting scope that you just zero and leave it alone a box test is not really that important.

If it is a scope that you will be spinning turrets a lot and that is a rifle where repeatability and accuracy is very important then you will need to box test it to make sure the adjustments are true and repeatable.

Doing a box test at 25 to 50 yards is actually a really good idea.  The closer you are to the target the more clicks it will take to move the POI a given amount.  If 1 click is 1/4 moa at 100 yards then it would take 4 clicks at 25 yards to equal that 1/4 moa.   Also you want to do your box test on paper that has box grid of some sort on it, so you can verify that it is moving exactly how much it is suppose to.  So at 25 yards it would take 12 clicks to move it 1 moa.  So if you can move it 3 or 4 moa then it would take 36 to 48 clicks to move it that much.  That is going to test your scope much better than moving it just a little bit.  It will also take some of the shooter error out of it as it is easier to shoot good groups at closer ranges. 

After that is done, I would still test it at 100 and 200 yards, just to re-verify everything.
At any range the click value will still be 1/4 MOA per click just the value of the clicks is 4 times less at 25 yards than it is at 25 yards. It will take 4 clicks to move it 1/4" or 16 clicks to move it a full inch, 32 clicks to move it 2 inches at 25 yards etc.

Edited by Chris Farris II - February/01/2012 at 10:18
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 10:17
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 10:24
He was seeing MOA and thinking Mils, I'll wager...  ST knows the "click numbers"...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 10:25
Yeah he does. I know because I did the same thing a few months back and he corrected me. LOL all is fair in love and war.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 10:28

OOoohhhh... as Jackie Gleason would say "How SWEET it IS..."

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 11:59
before running the grid tests turn your scope to the upmost setting and leave it for a few days, then when you run the box, any spring set will show up. a good alternative  is to use a 9 dot test  spread over 12 inch selecting the dots at random and using at least 3 shot groups, this will tell you if the entire spread of the scopes adjustment has shifted up or down. left or right.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 14:16
Sorry guys. In my head i was thinking it would be good to move the poi at least 4 moa instead of just one. But thats not what i typed. I was doing it on my iphone so i did not reread my post. Thanks for correcting me
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
dsr View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 17:18
Supertool,

You're forgiven.       lol.

I followed your line of thought but caught the mistake.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic