OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

VX3 opinions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icon308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VX3 opinions
    Posted: January/30/2012 at 18:14
hello I wanting to buy a new scope Id would like to buy American I have had a vari x III before it was clear  but not as much as my Burris  or Sightron Big Sky. I have heard the VX3 has batter optics  how  much better are they are they on par with the Burris and Big Sky now, And how are they in low light

Stan
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2012 at 18:57
I use several of the VX-3'sand have been pleased.
I do not have those other scopes though to compare.
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2012 at 19:25
I have one VX3  a 4.5-14x50  two Mk 4s and have had Fx3s  I like the scopes. I believe you should also look at the Trijicon Accupoints and the Zeiss Conquest scopes before completing your selection.
These are all very good in low light just dial down to around 6x to brighten the image.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
icon308 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icon308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2012 at 19:54
i am considering the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 I have considered a Meopta also,Dunno kinda partial to a Leupold for American made and warranty
Stan
ugapaul View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ugapaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2012 at 20:34
Sort of made in USA.  I know glass is Philippines.  Not sure of other components.
ugapaul View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ugapaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2012 at 20:38
For that matter, their are several other "foreign scopes" such as Minox that are put together in the states like a Leupy (maybe even the conquest you mention, but not 100% sure).

ugapaul View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ugapaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2012 at 20:45
The only scope that i've specifically read of that uses american glass is Swift Premier, but i don't think that they are near to on par with anything you mentioned.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 10:13
I may be wrong on this but I believe the reason Leupold uses foreign glass is the one American company that can make the glass quality they require cannot make enough for their needs.

I would not hold that against them.  I am sure if they could they would use American glass. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 10:57
i got the conquest, and it's def better than my Mk4
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 17:04
IMHO the new VX-3's are better than the Conquest.
I have done an informal test of the 3x9 VX-3 and the Conquest 3x9 and the Leupold was better in low light and looking into the shadows, not by a lot but enough to see the difference.
I would be interested to hear from someone who has used the Macbeth Color Checker and US Airforce Test Target under low light and shadow conditions and can tell me the Conquest is better and by how much.
The newer Leupolds VX-3's are visibly better than the older ones, do the tests and you will see the difference.
Not trying to start a flame war but to set the record straight as far as Leupold's new VX-3's go.
Yes my Zeiss Victory 1.5x6 and Swarovski Z6 1-6 are better but they cost thee or four times as much.
The new VX-3's are good value for the dollars spent.
This comparison does not apply to any other Leupold scope lines since I have not and probably won't test  them.
Again this is not a challenge, just a observation, let's not get into a war over this, it should be a learning experience.
Thanks
Art

Good day.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 19:09
Nice report Art...  Thanks!
take em!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 21:24
Trijicon is US made also.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic