OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

simple

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: simple
    Posted: January/30/2012 at 16:00
I shot a .223 of a friends with one of these on it this mourning. I loved how simple it was and the ease of the eye box on the eye and yes... it is very light.Wink  I was shooting prairie dogs in the 100-250yd range give or take. I was shooting center mass with no problems even with the low mag.
I have not decided on a scope for my .223 yet so, this has me thinking about another direction that being other than a v-power scope.
It being a lower end scope and all. Thoughts/opinions/experience on these? Similar others?

http://swfa.com/Leupold-6x36-FX-II-Riflescope-P3268.aspx
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2012 at 21:52
bump
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 05:34
T 6x leupolds are pretty popular scopes in many circles& a good match for a 223 cruising rifle. I have killed a lot of groundhogs with a 6x scope in the past at ranges past 250 yds . I was looking for a lower cost 6x for my 223 but gave up when a good deal on a variable came along. I think you could do a whole lot worse.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 09:53
I have used a fixed 4x for years on an AR.  It works very well, it has a BDC knob that is calibrated for 55 grain fmjs.  I am able to hit pretty reliably to about 500 yards with that rifle.  It has been an excellent scope.  It has been used for near 15,000 rounds on that AR. 

There have been a few times when I wish it had a little more mag but I can still do what I need to do.  There have been many times when I wish it had less.

Fixed 6x can be a lot depending upon the type of shooting the rifle will be used for.  It would be a terrible choice for a short range brush or heavy timber hunting rifle IMO.  But for a range gun and/or where most of your hunting would be medium to longer ranges it should work quite well. 

IMO fixed scopes don't really give you any advantages over a variable.  Sure some claim they are bighter.  But all else being equal I bet you would be hard pressed to see a noticeable difference between a variable.  I have 3 fixed power scopes I use regularly and while they do a good job, a variable would do it better.  Honestly I don't think I will ever buy another, unless it would be for a very specific purpose.  But for a general use rifle, I just don't see the benefit of having one over a variable. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 14:16
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I have used a fixed 4x for years on an AR.  It works very well, it has a BDC knob that is calibrated for 55 grain fmjs.  I am able to hit pretty reliably to about 500 yards with that rifle.  It has been an excellent scope.  It has been used for near 15,000 rounds on that AR. 

There have been a few times when I wish it had a little more mag but I can still do what I need to do.  There have been many times when I wish it had less.

Fixed 6x can be a lot depending upon the type of shooting the rifle will be used for.  It would be a terrible choice for a short range brush or heavy timber hunting rifle IMO.  But for a range gun and/or where most of your hunting would be medium to longer ranges it should work quite well. 

IMO fixed scopes don't really give you any advantages over a variable.  Sure some claim they are bighter.  But all else being equal I bet you would be hard pressed to see a noticeable difference between a variable.  I have 3 fixed power scopes I use regularly and while they do a good job, a variable would do it better.  Honestly I don't think I will ever buy another, unless it would be for a very specific purpose.  But for a general use rifle, I just don't see the benefit of having one over a variable. 

Makes sense. I will continue to look for a v-power scope for my savage.
thanks
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 15:25
Great little scopes!! 
Old Mil ftw
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 19:21
my first scope was a 4x..... it was also my last 4x.  I variable for me please!
take em!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 21:23
You might like this  a lot also it has covered target knobs so you can dial in correction and it has an adjustable objective. The FX3 6x42 recently got upgraded glass and is really nice also.
Leupold 8x40 FX-II Riflescope Leupold 8x40 FX-II Riflescope
Stock # - LEU000840
$379.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 21:30
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

You might like this  a lot also it has covered target knobs so you can dial in correction and it has an adjustable objective. The FX3 6x42 recently got upgraded glass and is really nice also.
Leupold 8x40 FX-II Riflescope Leupold 8x40 FX-II Riflescope
Stock # - LEU000840
$379.95 

I did not realize leupold made a fixed 8 mag?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 21:56
Only SWFA has it they ordered them to their specs.   same with this one:
Leupold 3x20 FX-II Riflescope Leupold 3x20 FX-II Riflescope
Stock # - LEU000320
$304.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic