OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Optics Design

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Optics Design
    Posted: January/30/2012 at 12:35
Gentlemens:
I am interested in reproducing a small number of rifle scopes based on the Davidson design used by Fraser in Scotland about 130 years ago, and was told that some of you good folk here might be able to point me in the right direction.
The basics of the design are a .750" ID tube about 14" long including a 1.5" long spring loaded telescoping eyepiece designed to compensate for the short eye relief of the optics system. I intend to faithfully reproduce the scope mechanically, but seen no reason to try to copy the exact optics system. I am certain modern optics technology can improve on the 100+ year old system.
The bottom line is that I am looking for guidance, advice, and information to assist in this project. I have read a book on optics design and done a bit of research on the internet, and have come to the conclusion that the results would be better with the input of someone who actually understands this stuff.
Any advice or sources you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Respectfully,
Glenn Fewless
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2012 at 13:20
Welcome to Optics Talk. Hope you find what your looking for. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Boblor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boblor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 11:37
Glenn,
I shoot high power long range with an optical engineer that works for a scope manufacturer.
Perhaps he can help you.
Send me an e-mail and I will forward it on to the engineer.
Bob L.  your old BPCR silhouette buddy.  "shoot, Shoot NOW"

send email address by PM

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - January/31/2012 at 21:16
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 11:53
Perhaps send Ila Koshkin a message too. He's a busy guy, but incredibly knowledgeable. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 12:00
Bob, you might want to send hst a PM with your email address.  bad things happen to good emails that get posted in the open.

Maybe a moderator can remove it from your post.
-Matt
hst View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 15:51
Bob:

It is grand to hear from you!  I have not had the honor since you went over to the Dark Side.

Thanks very much for you offer. I kinda expect that what I am looking for is third grade math for someone who understands optical theory.  Howsomever, in that I have never mastered optical theory (or third grade math, for that matter) I have found it quite a challenge.  In any event, I will write something up and email it to you.

Thanks for your help. Why don't you come out with Cousin Jim and play sometime?  I can rustle up a bottle or two of "Old Rasputin"....

Very best regards,

Glenn
Boblor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boblor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 16:59
Ah, Old Rasputin, have not had any in years.
Jim and I shoot a lot of HP F /tr together. I understand there are a lot of scopes used in BPCR now.
Send the stuff and I will get it off to the Engineer.
Bob
hst View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 02:11
Bob:

I wrote an exhaustive missive detailing my plight, only to have it rejected by the server on the grounds that you do not exist. My heart has been ripped out. Life has no meaning!  If you really loved me you would not give me a bad email address.

Now that I think of it, I can't even remember the last time you bought me flowers...

Glenn

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic