OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Tactical Scope for 6.5 Creedmoor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahiaring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Tactical Scope for 6.5 Creedmoor
    Posted: January/25/2012 at 23:29
I have built a "hunting/varmint" rifle in 6.5 creedmoor.. (Howa 1500 action, Remington Varmint Countour barrel at 25", Laminate black widow stock from Richards) I wanted a varmint hunting rifle that I can also use for long range deer/antelope and also target shooting.

I have been looking at 2 scopes....First the Nikko Stirling Targetmaster 4-16X44 30 mm and the Hawke Sidewinder 30 mm 4-16X50...Both seem like good options in the 300-400.00 price range. Does anyone have a preferrence or suggestion between the two? Which is better optically? How is tracking and click repeatability?

I plan to shoot out to 800-1000 yards, is 16x enough????
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2012 at 07:29

I'll provide you a couple more suggestions, I cant comment on either of those two as i have never used either.

This scope would be good to learn on, it comes with a mildot master. You would probably have to have a canted base to get to a grand with it though.
Nikon 4.5-14x40 Buckmaster Riflescope Mil-Dot Nikon 4.5-14x40 Buckmaster Riflescope
Stock # - NIK6469
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
  • Free Mil-Dot Master w/ Purchase (Mail-In Coupon)
$319.95 
Add Nikon 4.5-14x40 Buckmaster Riflescope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:

Another viable option,
Vortex 6.5-20x50 Viper 30mm Rifle Scope Mil-Dot Vortex 6.5-20x50 Viper 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - VPRM06MD
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
$459.95 
Add Vortex 6.5-20x50 Viper 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:

Slightly more than you said you want to spend but well worth it IMO, Vortex has an awesome warranty and they have decent glass.  They also have target turrets under the caps as does the Nikon above too.

Then again learning MilDot with a fixed power scope would be easier on you that using a mildot variable that wasnt in FFP.  Check out the SWFA line of SS's,  you could learn mildot with one and turn around and trade it in or sell it later and still get plenty of return on the investment.  I personally would say the SWFA-SS-16x42 because the SWFA-SS-20x42 will show a lot of reticle movement from your movement, even breathing.  You also have the old reliable SWFA-SS-10x42 and the one with side focus instead of rear focus SWFA-SS-10x42.   All the SWFA SS's will have enough travel in them to get you as far as you can shoot with no requirement for a canted base. 
SWFA SS Scopes
SWFA SS Scopes
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2012 at 10:44
16X is more than enough, but there's a lot that goes into shooting 1k. the scope needs decent glass, and enough internal adjustment, from what i've heard of the nikko, it doesn't fit the bill. granted with the creed, that SOB is so flat you may not need much.

Scottyman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2012 at 19:38
 Weaver Tactical 3-15X50mm. Great scope for the money if you want to spend a bit more.
 http://www.weaveroptics.com/optics/tactical/
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2934946&page=1
Maine? Where's that?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2012 at 20:03
Best suggestion so far was the Vortex Viper or better yet a Vortex Viper PST.  Honestly you need to spend more money on a scope to get into a scope that will do what you want at that kind of distance.  There are practical limitation when we are talking about shooting live game.  You need to be able to understand everything that goes into long range shooting before trying it on live game so you dont just run aroung wounding and loosing game. INOTE: that 200 yds is where I like to shoot deer, however I shoot more with a bow and arrow at 20 to 30 yds so I tend not to think ultra long range shots on live game are the best plan especially with a mediocre scope.  If you are limited by budget to that price range I would buy a fixed 16x42 Super Sniper because it has about 120 moa of internal adjustment. The Vortex Viper also would be a good choice and the PST a better choice. The Weaver not so much due to it's 50 MOA of internal adjustment.   It takes more than just the right equipment to hit anything consistently at 1000 yds. 
The best thousand yard scope I have is a 5-20x50 Super Sniper.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2012 at 20:07
Originally posted by Scottyman Scottyman wrote:

Weaver Tactical 3-15X50mm. Great scope for the money if you want to spend a bit more.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2934946&page=1
Pretty sure its 50 MOA on internal adjustment so not an ultra long range optic great under 600 yds though.
Weaver 3-15x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope Mil-Dot Weaver 3-15x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 800362
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • First Focal Plane Reticle
$719.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2012 at 23:05
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Originally posted by Scottyman Scottyman wrote:

Pretty sure its 50 MOA on internal adjustment so not an ultra long range optic great under 600 yds though.
Weaver 3-15x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope Mil-Dot Weaver 3-15x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 800362
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • First Focal Plane Reticle
$719.95 

Actually it has 70 MOA adjustment.  The EMDR illuminated reticle version has 100 MOA.  That should be plenty.
-Matt
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2012 at 07:27
300-400 dollar price rangeWink
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2012 at 07:57
Lot of good thoughts here, and I do hunt game at distance.

Best suggestion so far was the Vortex Viper or better yet a Vortex Viper PST.  Honestly you need to spend more money on a scope to get into a scope that will do what you want at that kind of distance.  There are practical limitation when we are talking about shooting live game.  You need to be able to understand everything that goes into long range shooting before trying it on live game so you dont just run aroung wounding and loosing game.
 I tend not to think ultra long range shots on live game are the best plan especially with a mediocre scope.  If you are limited by budget to that price range I would buy a fixed 16x42 Super Sniper because it has about 120 moa of internal adjustment. The Vortex Viper also would be a good choice and the PST a better choice.
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2012 at 12:07
Originally posted by Ernie Bishop Ernie Bishop wrote:

Lot of good thoughts here, and I do hunt game at distance.

Best suggestion so far was the Vortex Viper or better yet a Vortex Viper PST.  Honestly you need to spend more money on a scope to get into a scope that will do what you want at that kind of distance.  There are practical limitation when we are talking about shooting live game.  You need to be able to understand everything that goes into long range shooting before trying it on live game so you dont just run aroung wounding and loosing game.
 I tend not to think ultra long range shots on live game are the best plan especially with a mediocre scope.  If you are limited by budget to that price range I would buy a fixed 16x42 Super Sniper because it has about 120 moa of internal adjustment. The Vortex Viper also would be a good choice and the PST a better choice.

+1

But if you need to say at the $400 max budget I would look at a good fixed power scope such as the SS 10x or 16x.
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2012 at 17:40
What is your price range?
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
bobdds View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobdds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2012 at 15:01
another consideration might be to look at the Kenton Industry website to see which scopes he can make a custom BDC turret for( ending on a preposition)!   There are  many of those mentioned above that he can do that for, another preposition...   Even if you dont want one now, later you have the choice.  For what its worth I have a number of scopes on long range rifles.  I have just recently bought a couple of the Buckmaster scopes and they are wonderful for the price and seem to fall in your budget. 
Dr Bob
ACE-DAVE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACE-DAVE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2012 at 18:41
I HAVE A HAWKE SIDEWINDER 6X24X56 MIL-DOT IF YOUR SHOOTING OUT TO 1000YDS I WOULD GO FOR SOMETHING LIKE THIS Smile 

CHEER'S (ace)
Dave(The ACE)
ahiaring View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahiaring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2012 at 18:37
Thanks for all the feedback, long since moved on to other projects....No "cheap" scope buying for me
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic