OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

ruger 77 tang safety

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sendero7mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ruger 77 tang safety
    Posted: January/25/2012 at 21:05
I have a 22-250 ruger 77 with tang safety. My question is I reload and the bullets do not fit in the magazine that fit in the rifling or just backed off. What can i do if any thing. I dont really want to have to rebuild the gun. Is there replacement magazine parts or am I just at a dead end?
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2012 at 21:31
I've read your post 3 or 4 times now and I get figure out what you are asking.
take em!
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2012 at 21:43
I'm not understanding either.  If the rounds don't fit in the magazine, seat them deeper.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2012 at 22:27
Originally posted by ckk1106 ckk1106 wrote:

I'm not understanding either.  If the rounds don't fit in the magazine, seat them deeper.

Can you chamber a round if single loaded?
Doug
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2012 at 22:43
I think he is saying that if he seats the out just touching or just off the rifling, the rounds won't sit in the mag.  He is asking if the mag has adjustment so he can seat them out where he wants them.

The answer I an guessing based on the design of my M77 with the tang safety is no.  The way they designed the mag box is a solid piece of metal that slides into place against the action and is held in place by the trigger guard, and the front floor plate hinge.  
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Stevey Ducks View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2012 at 00:45
For some reason Ruger has decided to put short magazine boxes and followers in their .22-.250's right up to the present with the new Hawkeye.

The tang safety Ruger M77 is a push feed vs control feed for almost all M77 MKII's. A .243W or .308W MKII magazine box and follower might fit your rifle.

The M77 p.f. tang safety rifles use a plunger ejector so the cut in the back upper left end of the MKII magazines to allow the blade ejector to work is of no consequence. Possibly, Ruger could sell you a .308W magazine box and follower for the older M77 tang safety push feed rifle. If not, I would be tempted to get a MKII .308W size magazine and see if it fits and works with the M77 p.f. follower then buy a MKII .308W follower.

As I am writing this I am looking at both MKII and M77 p.f. rifles (computer in gun room) and my guess is that MKII mag setup would work in the older M77 p.f. but not the other way because of the ejector cut. Possibly a friend might have a MKII SA and be willing to participate in your project.

I have a rebarreled MKII .22-.250 (1-9) and shoot 68 gr bullets and my long OAL ammo will not fit in the usual MKII box. I too like to seat my bullets out there, .22-250's included and there are lots of long .224 bullets like the 75gr. AMax. My rifle feeds perfectly.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2012 at 11:54
Welcome to the world of RugerWhistling  The older guns have a lot of freebore and cheap barrels.  Old man Ruger used to brag about how cheap his barrels were.  He used to be paranoid about handloaders blowing thier guns and sueing him.   Thus alot of freebore. 

There are two solutions:  1) Seat the bullet so it works in the magazine.  2) rebarrel. 
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2012 at 13:14
I heard that at one time Ruger had their barrels made by Wilson for $35.00.

A decision on a rifles accuracy can only be made on a case to case basis. I have seen a number of older PF M77's that were real accurate. Like their heavy barrel .220 Swift & their heavy barrel .280 which I had.

On the magazines - the MKII has a lower profile than the older PF M77 so use of the shorter .308W MKII mag box might require reducing the depth of the stock - wood rasp and inletting around trigger guard and floor plate recess and one round less in the mag. Or just single load if you want to save the stock. Or have a smith weld on a mag extension. Or get a older M77 .308W mag box.

I do not know for a fact if Mr. Ruger suffered from paranoia or was boastful of making shrewd business deals like acquiring 1,000's of $35 rifle barrels but there is nothing to stop a person from single loading extended OAL ammo in a  PF rifle. Also adding a small amount of free bore will enable use of a greater variety of factory ammo having different bullet shapes but will not prevent a blow up.

Good shooting with your vintage RugerSmile
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2012 at 13:17
Or remove the sheet metal block in the back of the existing mag box and get a .308W follower.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2012 at 15:58
Originally posted by Stevey Ducks Stevey Ducks wrote:

I heard that at one time Ruger had their barrels made by Wilson for $35.00.

A decision on a rifles accuracy can only be made on a case to case basis. I have seen a number of older PF M77's that were real accurate. Like their heavy barrel .220 Swift & their heavy barrel .280 which I had.

On the magazines - the MKII has a lower profile than the older PF M77 so use of the shorter .308W MKII mag box might require reducing the depth of the stock - wood rasp and inletting around trigger guard and floor plate recess and one round less in the mag. Or just single load if you want to save the stock. Or have a smith weld on a mag extension. Or get a older M77 .308W mag box.

I do not know for a fact if Mr. Ruger suffered from paranoia or was boastful of making shrewd business deals like acquiring 1,000's of $35 rifle barrels but there is nothing to stop a person from single loading extended OAL ammo in a  PF rifle. Also adding a small amount of free bore will enable use of a greater variety of factory ammo having different bullet shapes but will not prevent a blow up.

Good shooting with your vintage RugerSmile

With that said however you still need to load the round from under the claw.  It is never good on the claw to have it snap over the case.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic