OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope suggestions for me

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gillettehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope suggestions for me
    Posted: January/24/2012 at 16:04
  First post for me. New to this Forum. Have done some reading over the last month as I have had time.
 I have a 6.5X06 being built and need a scope for it. This will be a moderately long range hunting set up. I'd like to use it enough to be comfortable out to 800 yards. I'm in Wy and long range opportunities are not uncommon. Weight is an issue. I want to be able to pack this rifle and I'm not as young as I used to be.... I want the scope to weigh under 20 oz or so. Budget has a little give in it. I'd prefer to keep it under $1500, but for the right optics I can stretch it some. Looking at a variable scope. Sometimes we push some timber or it may go to Africa... So a bottom end of 3 to 5 X. For longer ranges I'd prefer to be up to at least 16X.  18 or 20 would be even better.
  I have a couple of Conquests and like them just fine. The 3 time magnification is the biggest problem.  To get to the top end magnification that I want the bottom end is too high.  I also have a Minox ZA 5  in the 5X20. Like the glass. The eye box is a little small. If you get in a hurry that can be a problem.  The 3 stadia lines are not too bad but won't get you out to 800 yards.  My top contender has been the Swarovski Z5 in the 3.5X18. I have some  time to see if I can get one from the Samplelist.... I see that Leupold has made some news with their new VX6. In a 3X18 that could work. I've had Leupolds in the past.  My biggest problem has been that the eye relief changes with the magnification. Missed the opportunity to shoot at a bull elk because of that. Won't happen again. Does anyone know if the VX6 scopes have a constant  amount of eye relief?? Any other scopes that I should look at?  I'm open to suggestions. Thanks for any help.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2012 at 16:13
If it was my my choices would be first Swarovski Z5 then Leupold VX6 or Minox ZA5. The only other things I would throw in there would be maybe the Bushnell 6500. You are looking at the right options here for sure. The Swaro is the best of the group and I would say the Minox is the best Bang for the buck.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2012 at 16:26
Just to cut through the chase I cant help you with the idea that it should be light weight but I can help with ---- you want it to be tough as nails and kill every time at 800 yds.
US Optics 3.2-17x44 SN-3 30mm Riflescope US Optics 3.2-17x44 SN-3 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - USOSN3G
  • Matte Black Type III hard Anodizing
  • Illuminated Mil-Scale GAP Reticle
  • 30mm
  • Low Profile - Rapid Focus Eyepiece
  • 11 Pos Rheostat (Red) Illumination
  • EREK 1/10 MIL Elevation Knob
  • US#1 M40 Style 1/10 MIL Windage Knob
  • ERGO Parallax Control
$2,424.95 
DEMO
SPL13498
USOptics 3.2-17x44 SN3 Rifle Scope DEMO-B
Click to view Brown, Mil Dot. 1/10 MIL
$1,799.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2012 at 16:35
Zeiss 4-16x56 Tactical Hensoldt Telescopic 34mm Sight Zeiss 4-16x56 Tactical Hensoldt Telescopic 34mm Sight
Stock # - ZEI10139090
  • Matte
  • Illuminated H37
  • 34mm
  • Target Knobs
  • Side Focus
  • 0.1 MRAD
  • 1st Focal Plane Reticle
$3,962.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2012 at 16:37
Schmidt & Bender 3-20x50 Police Marksman LP 34mm Riflescope Schmidt & Bender 3-20x50 Police Marksman LP 34mm Riflescope
Stock # - SCH932KLE
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Klein (First Focal Plane)
  • 34mm
  • Elevation adjustment with MTC
  • Double turn
  • Counter Clockwise
  • Elevation and windage turrets with locking function
  • Side Focus (25 m to infinity)
  • 1/10 MIL
$3,498.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2012 at 16:41
SWFA SS 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
SWFA SS 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SSHD520X50MQ
  • Patented First Focal Plane Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm
  • HD Model
  • Locking Ocular Adjustment
  • 0.1 Mrad Elevation & Windage
  • 10 Mils Per Revolution
  • 30 Mils Of Total Travel
  • Side Focus
  • 30.4 oz
$1,299.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - January/24/2012 at 16:47

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Stevey Ducks View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2012 at 00:26
I have 2, 6.5-06's and both have Leupold 12X40 FXIII's. I plan to get a 3rd one soon. I guess I have so many 6.5-06's that spending about $2,000 or more for a scope would not be practical. I often take both of them out on varmint hunts.

I guess I would be handicapped with the 12X's at close ranges but I have shot varimints under 100 yds but not in timber as the varmints were sitting on rocks.

The 12X40's cost about $500 ea and weigh about 1 lb and are about 1 ft long. Depending on your barrel contour low rings will work. One of my rifles, a rebarreled Ruger 77 MKII has a #4 Douglas contour barrel  (1-8) with Ruger low rings. While not exactly a fly weight it can be lugged around. The other rifle a FN Mauser has a Pac Nor #3 (1-9) with a short shank. The 12X40 FXIII's fit real good on both rifles. I keep an old 6X Burris signature with low Ruger rings on it that can be easily swapped onto the M77 with no loss of zero with some advanced notice for closer range shots.

12X40 FXIII performance under low light conditions - 30 min after sun set at the rifle range - is very close to the Zeiss scopes that I have. The FX3 scopes would pobably be an improvement over the older FXIII's. The FN has Burris Signature rings and the lower back insert is a .020 plus insert. The M 77 has no problem getting onto 600 yds at 10-12 MOA elevation with 100 yd zero and probably would adjust up to 800 but I have not shot that far with the M77.

I have never felt under powered with my 12X scopes. .22 bullet holes can be spotted at 200 yds and small varmints hit at 600 yds or so. I think the 6.5-06 is one of the very best all around rifles. I shoot 100 (3350 fps) & 123 gr AMaxes (3075 fps) in my rifles. Possibly the only draw back is the 6.5-06 does not have real long barrel life and really should have (I think) a 24 inch minimum length barrel.
Gillettehunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gillettehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2012 at 12:11
  Has Leupold said anything about release dates on the VX-6  in the 3X18? I appreciate the comments so far.  Never seems to be any "perfect" scope. Have to find what works best for you most of the time. Anyone used the Huskemaw scopes?  Thanks Bruce
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2012 at 07:41
Bruce,
Give me a call 257-7431
I live in Gillette also.
Originally posted by Gillettehunter Gillettehunter wrote:

Has Leupold said anything about release dates on the VX-6  in the 3X18? I appreciate the comments so far.  Never seems to be any "perfect" scope. Have to find what works best for you most of the time. Anyone used the Huskemaw scopes?  Thanks Bruce
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic