OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rock Island 1911s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rock Island 1911s
    Posted: January/24/2012 at 07:53
Alright guys, need some feedback.

I have been searching for Rugers new SR1911 but Nobody has them in stock and I'm told waiting list is about 60 days.

So, I am researching the RIA 1911s which are abundant.

From the reading I've done they are pretty barebones but fit, finish  and quality compare t o guns costing twice as much.

Currently prices are running:

$410 for Mil_spec fullsize Parkerized 8rd 1911-A1

$463 for Parkerized FS 14rd 1911-A2

$740 for FS Match 1911-A1

I am currently leaning towards the A2 double stack (I have large hands)

Who out ther owns or has shot a RIA 1911 and what do you think about it.

So far the only complaints I've seen are magazine related.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2012 at 13:43
Have you looked at the Remington R1 1911s? They can be had starting at about $600.

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2012 at 15:47
Just me, but if I was looking for a double stack 45, I'd look at the Para-Ordinance.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2012 at 15:56
I agree on the Para. Just don't consider the LDA version.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2012 at 16:06
From what I've been reading the RIA stacks up very nicely against the para for over 200 less
.  Even uses the para mags!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2012 at 20:12
Well I just discovered Sarco Inc website.  They will wholesale to the public.  Lynn if you don't know about them you should....MG parts galore!

Anyway new RI 1911s at there cheapest.

Mil-Spec FS 1911-A1 5ACP parkerized $359.99 + $15 S/H
Tactical 1911-A1 45ACP  $419.99 + $15 S/H   
Widebody 1911-A2 45ACP $439.99 + $15 S/H
Match Grade 1911-A $599.00 + S/H

I'm pulled toward the Hi- Capacity Widebody cause I think it will command a higher price at re-sale
but I'm also liking The Tactical.  If I get a match gun it'll be a Gold Cup....
--Thomas Jefferson

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2012 at 09:34
Sarco is a regular at the MG shoot, and in EVERY Shotgun News. I have bought a few items from them.
I think they have moved their new warehouse, and store to Penn.. You could go purchase your 45 straight from them, if I'm correct.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2012 at 10:12

They did move to PA...about an hour+ north of Philly and 3.5hrs from me.

SHipping to east coast is only $15 + $20 at my local FFL.  I'd burn that much and more in gas....not to mention what I'd spend if I went there!!! Shocked

Cheaper and safer to have them mail it!

Man, I got lost in the Shotgun news for about 2.5hrs last night! Bucky  Some neat stuff!
--Thomas Jefferson

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2012 at 10:20
Those are good prices Bud
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2012 at 11:24
I haven't been on the site in awhile, but they have a dedicated ARMSCOR forum
Doug
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2012 at 11:37
DARN good prices!!! Big Grin
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2012 at 11:38
Think I'm gona go go the widebody A2 with 14 rd mag.... for zombies of course! Bucky
--Thomas Jefferson

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2012 at 11:53
Let us know how it runs, if your's works out well I might grab one up to compare to a para sitting in the safe.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2012 at 12:12
Will do!  Have heard from several sources that the workmanship and fit is excellent!

I am going to wait till after I go to the Eastern Sports and hunting shows in Harrisburg 2/5-2/12 just in case I run across an insane deal at the show.
--Thomas Jefferson

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2012 at 12:18
10-4, I hope you do. 
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2012 at 12:35
the one I looked at had a little play in the barrel on lock up needed a longer link pin, beaver tail had a little rattle in it, and safety was not a positive "snick" "snick". but these features rarely affect the overall shooting of the gun as most handgun owners aren't up to gun. If your looking for the finer finish of this for just a few more bucks, sig,smith, and springfield offers better. Hi cap 45are something unto themselves as the gun gets noticably lighter towards the end of the mag.As far as para go, I've had a ripped off rail, a sheared barrel lug and as high cap goes a blown kimber.When loaded your looking around 40+ oz.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2012 at 14:47
If Im not mistaken the rock island guns are a Philippines  copy of the 1911. The original design with the single stack mag should  be the most reliable.  I have carried a 1911 Colt Govt on duty years ago and i never felt under gunned with the 7 shot single stack mag because I know how to change mags.  Far better a single stack 7 or 8 that works every time than a hi cap that fails. It is really pretty easy to carry three extra mags in the back pocket of your jeans.  The Taurus stainless is the pick of the litter as far as lower price 1911 style pistols.  Note 1911 guns have always liked ball ammo and wadcutters or hollowpoints have mixed results for reliability depending on throating the pistol.  Thunbs Up to 1911 design and the ball ammo has a proven history of success as do the 7 round mags which can be found everywhere in the world where a double stack mag may be  difficult and expensive to find.   The Glock 21 is where I would go for a double stack mag -- oh wait - that was the last .45 I bought Cool and years ago you couldnt give me a plastic gun - s changes when you have to carry one for 10 yrs on duty and it has NO failures --
 Glock Thunbs Up

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - January/25/2012 at 15:04

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2012 at 14:55
The Glock is lighter than a double stack 1911 too. Priced right too.
If you want a 1911, get a 1911. If you want a double stack 45, get a Glock.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2012 at 16:20
Both of you have valid arguments, I think I'll listen to the experts for a change....  Thanks.

So I think I'll get a 1911 Tacitcal.  extended beavertail match grade trigger, trigger and hammer skeletonized. $419.99

I'll see whats the best Tarius SS prices I an find.  Wish I could afford a Gold Cup now....
--Thomas Jefferson

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2012 at 16:28
Bud I'd get the bare bones one, then add the trigger and hammer and stuff you want from parts.  You'd be better off I think.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic