OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold VX3 4.5 14x50 Long Range

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote express Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold VX3 4.5 14x50 Long Range
    Posted: January/20/2012 at 16:07
Would the Leupold VX3 4.5 14X50 long range(not the CDS model)be good for long range hunting(100-300 yard) and also long range target shooting(500-1000 yards). 
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2012 at 16:26
This is the scope john burns uses with his custom rifles (modified with reticle and elevation/Windage knobs) for grey bull precision. Won't get into slug fest about long range hunting but I met him at Dallas safari club two weeks ago and he uses this scope exclusively. He gets top dollar for his rifles and he shoots alot at distances I'm not sure I can see. There is better glass available, but this is a good scope.
express View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote express Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2012 at 16:49
What type of reticle.
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2012 at 22:17
It's on their website. Not sure the name
Dakotaman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakotaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2012 at 09:59
It is outstanding for hunting at ranges out to 700 yards or so. In hunting situations you want a solid zero and the ability to get a precise shot off in a second or two. A buddy has one on his 30/378 Wby mag. Last year he shot a Dall sheep at 440 yards and a mountain carribou at 727 yards; first shot kills. I shot it a bit at 600 yards and it was wonderfull for hunting. It only has a couple of elevation marks as aiming points but once you zero at the right range and verify your point of impact relative to the aiming points, you are ready to go. This way you have visibility of precise holdover for long shots and are ready to shoot instantly. With practice you can even use that reticle for instant ranging by learning how your target fits between stadia lines at various ranges.

I don't know what rifle/cartridge you are shooting but with the right rifle and skill you should be able shoot house flies at 100-300 yards with this scope. This scope has very low paralax so variance in your cheek weld will not cause change in impact and visibility is outstanding. With a good rifle I expect 2 inch groups at 600 yards with that scope.

Regarding target use, you will enjoy larger magnification between 500 and 1000 yards. With a 20x magnification, I can put the cross hair in the middle of a prairie dogs head at 1000 yards. It is easier to hit distant targets accurately if you can see them. For serious competitive target shooting you want target turrets so you can adjust windage and holdover precicely and return to zero instantly. If I am not mistaken, this scope has hunting turrets that are meant to be left at their zero setting but you could add target turrets.

If your primary objective is hunting with target shooting to prepare you for that, this scope, magnification and reticle is among the best. if you want to compete in target shooting, you need to get a target scope.
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2012 at 15:29

I have the 4.5-14x VX-III Varmint HUnters reticle on this Sav. Striker 8T Broughton 243 WSSM and love it. I have taken 2 coyotes now beyond the 500-yd. mark and several 400-yd. doe antelope with the 115 Berger bullet at ~2500 mv. This is 1 of my favorite ballistic reticles due to that fact that there are enough stadia points in it to allow it to be accurately appied (both vertically and horizontally), and the 3-1.77 MOA windage stadia units along the reticle's horizontal axis allow for excellent windage apps. while twisting turrets. This optic has the std. target turret only for elevation--

reticle zeros for 117 DTAC @ ~2500 also--

Steve
express View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote express Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2012 at 19:51
The rifle that I plain to put it on is a Weatherby Mark V Fibermark in 270 Weatherby.Would the regular duplex reticle work for what I want to do or what would be some suggestions.
Dakotaman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakotaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2012 at 08:28
I recommend getting a graduated reticle so you have specific holdover points. If you are hunting elk, the Boone and Crocket will be fine becuase your range with a .270 will be limited to about 500 yards. For deer or coyote hunting I suggest the Varmint reticle. These are very helpful in long range accuracy and in quickly ranging your target. That is how sscoyote is hitting so well at 400 yards. I like the windage lines too because I see a lot of wind during hunting season.
express View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote express Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2012 at 08:34
So the varmint reticle would be the way to go for me.Deer-coyote small to medium game also for long range target shooting.The 270 Weatherby will reach out beyond 500 yards.
express View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote express Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2012 at 08:35
Originally posted by express express wrote:

So the varmint reticle would be the way to go for me.Deer-coyote small to medium game also for long range target shooting.The 270 Weatherby will reach out beyond 500 yards.
 I use a 340 Weatherby for Elk hunting.
express View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote express Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2012 at 08:36
  So the varmint reticle would be the way to go for me.Deer-coyote small to medium game also for long range target shooting.The 270 Weatherby will reach out beyond 500 yards.[/QUOTE] I use a 340 Weatherby for Elk hunting.
express View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote express Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2012 at 08:37
   So the varmint reticle would be the way to go for me.Deer-coyote small to medium game also for long range target shooting.The 270 Weatherby will reach out beyond 500 yards. I use a 340 Weatherby for Elk hunting. 
express View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote express Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2012 at 08:37

express View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote express Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2012 at 08:38

Dakotaman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakotaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2012 at 08:45
Sorry Express... I had .270 Win in mind when I wrote that... the .270 Wby Mag will have enough energy to kill elk out to about 700 yards with very low drag bullets. It would be best for you to look through a scope at the two long range reticles to see which you prefer as far as visibility and function. I like the varmint hunter and my buddy likes the Boone and Crocket.
express View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote express Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2012 at 09:08
Would the regular duplex be ok.
Dakotaman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakotaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2012 at 11:47
Sure the regular duplex works fine and many hunters prefer it, especially if your shooting will be limited to 400 yards or so. Where the multiple stadia lines help is for accurate holdover at ranges beyand 400 yards. You can zero your rifle for 200 yards, shoot an inch high at 100, 6 inches low at 300 and 19 inches low at 400. Those numbers are easy to remember and easy to hold over in your aim. After than your bullet begins to drop fast and remembering the specific drop and visualizing the holdover with a duplex crosshair gets difficult. That is a big factor in why most hunters think that you can't shoot accurately beyond that range.
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2012 at 22:19
That's exactly right. I saw that you're also trying to go to 1000 yds. The nice thing about the 4.5-14x is that there's a lot of vertical travel in the turret in that optic. A tapered base (+/or the Burris Posi-Align Z-rings) may help a bit to get to that range and keep the erector tube in the scope closer to center.
Steve
Dakotaman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakotaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2012 at 19:39
sscoyote... yes indeed. My 1000 yard rifle is a custom .300 Dakota with a 26" Lothar Walther barrel on a Mauser action. I use a real good Leuy 6.5-20 with target turrets and a 20 MOA base for that and it works well. I'm using 210 Bergers and 208 Amaxs and they really shoot nice. I've shot as tight as .700 at 500 meters (542 yards) but normally see around 2 inches at 600 yards. That rig has shot as well as a 3.5 inch five shot group at 1000 yards but I have a real tough time finding a place to shoot 1000 yards in Georgia. I shoot it slow at 2850 fps for accuracy (I'm a little sensitive to bone crushing recoil so I just putt along slowly when I am not in a hurry).
I'd like to have one of these nice new scopes on it but I have to have 20x or better and zero paralax and that gets a little pricey for me at present. I just bought a Nicon Monarch for my 30-06 hunting rifle and am anxious to try their BDC reticle to see if I can get that thing shooting well at 600 yards.

I'm hoping to spend two weeks in mid-Febrary coyote hunting in South Dakota if we get some snow. I'll use a 25-06 in Rem Sendero with a 6-24x50 4200 Elite. I'm still testing new bullets but expect to use a 90g monometal at 3600 fps to tap them out to 600 yards pretty well. I've had good success with the Sierra Game Kings in that, having taken a 500 yard antelope easily with that rig a couple months ago.

I'll also take my Bushmaster Varminter on that hunt where it looks like I might call in multiples. That thing is mucho deadly. I use a 6-24x56 Millot Buck Gold on that and it shoots 2 inch groups at 500 meters all day. The only difference is that it can spit out about one well aimed shot per second... its just too deadly on coyotes to make it a sport.
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2012 at 04:54
Man you're doing SOME kinda' shooting sir...well done!
Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic