OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Handgun Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

red dot for night hunting .44 MAG

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerseySlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: red dot for night hunting .44 MAG
    Posted: January/20/2012 at 09:32
Hey Guys, 
 I just got a Ruger Redhawk 44mag-- topped with a Leuppy M8
This is how it will stay for the majority of its use.

But, I am going to SC for Hogs and have the opporotunity to hunt at night -- the regs say no scopes   headlamp and iron sights ---red dot is ok

so--- recomendations?

fibre optic sights
tritium sights
millet sp1
bushnell trophy
atn reflex?

trying to keep it around 100.00 since I already own a very nice scope---thanks Y'all

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2012 at 09:34
I would just go tritium or fiber, no red dot for $100 will last long and a 44 mag.  A set of crimson trace grips might be another option.  (if they even make them)
JerseySlayer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerseySlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2012 at 15:25
they do make the crimson trace--- but not legal for hunting

jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2012 at 19:52
i had an ATN on my lever 44 for pigs, combined with a ziptied tac-light, was awesome at night. but that was a levergun not a pistol.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2012 at 12:38

cheap red dots and 44 mags do not play well together

a Millet SP1 lasted less than a full cylinder with medium power handloads
I run an Aimpoint T1 and it holds up but is out of your price

for night hunting, I would just run a different gun

a headlight can work but it's less than ideal
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2012 at 14:12
i might get yelled at for posting this

atn, and it never lost a zero, and was taken off and put on probably 100 times in 10 months
KarlHaemmerlein View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarlHaemmerlein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2012 at 16:56
Did you go already?  In case you have not, and have not already discovered a red dot is illegal in SC if hunting pigs at night, be warned.  Open sights only, handgun only, 9" max barrell length, artificial light not allowed to be attached to weapon.  Look it up in the rules and regulations here:  http://www.dnr.sc.gov/regs/huntingregs.html  , or if you are a glutton for punishment read the SC state laws that are relevant. 

About half way down linked page is the relevant part for you
"There is no closed season on hogs on private land and hogs can be hunted at night with an artificial light that is carried on the hunter's person attached to a helmet or hat, or part of a belt system worn by the hunter and with a sidearm that has iron sites, and barrel length not exceeding nine inches (50-11-710). The sidearm may not be equipped with a butt-stock, scope, laser site, or light emitting or light enhancing device. However, hogs may not be hunted at night from a vehicle, or with a centerfire rifle or shotgun, unless specifically permitted by the department. "
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic