OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope for a 6.5x55

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope for a 6.5x55
    Posted: June/12/2004 at 19:46
I recently mounted a Burris FullfieldII on an old S&W 1500. It is the first time that I've used a Burris, and I love it! It is the only scope that has come up so quickly and comfortably for me. I'm getting a Tikka T3, in 6.5x55 Swede. Could you suggest a good scope for this rifle? I was thinking of a 3-9 Burris Signature Select. Would this be a good choice? I'm 50 and my eyes aren't what they used to be! I don't know if this is why the Burris feels so good to me. Any info will be appreciated.Thanks.Jolly [:D]

Edited by jolly
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2004 at 22:14
Hey Jolly, before I take a poke at answering your question, it would be helpful to know what you are planning on use the Tika for. Unless you put some inferior optics on that gun, you should be very pleased with the rifle you have selected for the wonderful 6.5 Swede. It should be a very accurate combo. Will you be hunting deer? Mostly short range ( less than 100 yards ). Thick cover or open terrian? I believe the scope that you are referring to goes for around 375-400 dollars. I know RANBURR is going to fall off his chair when I don't first suggest a Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10,even though it would be a very good all around choice for the Tika/Swede combo, but with your budget there are some fine scopes available in that price. If You would like to be more specific with regards to your intended purposes, I would be glad to assist you.

Edited by Roy Finn
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2004 at 22:24

Up is down, black is white, the sky is falling!  My left arm has gone numb!  It is so dark and very cold!  Hopefully I will recover in time for the real ROY FINN to appear.  

ranburr 

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2004 at 23:40

I'm laughing RANBURR, that's a good one. I'm glad to see you have a good sense of humor to go along with your solid knowledge of optics!!!! If I ever start writing about Remington 700's that aren't accurate out of the box, I promise to see a head doctor as soon as possible!!! I did just finish cheaning my Ackley with Sweet's. Maybe the fumes got to me!!!  Properly mounting Buehler mounts will have the same effect.Take care pal!!!

P.S. The only delimma will be is which gun, my 280 Ackley or my 300 Win Mag, I would replace my 4200's with the the Kahles with the TDS reticle!!! Don't even go there Chris or Ranburr and say replace both!!!

Edited by Roy Finn
jolly View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2004 at 15:48
Roy,I plan on shooting in the 100-300 yard range. Deer and coyotes are the targets. I'll also do some targets, because I've heard the 6.5 Swede is a good paper shooter. Some shots will be in open areas, while others may be in slightly wooded areas. I'm in western NY and there's a little variety in the terrain. The deer hunting is done in another state, very hilly w/trees. Jolly PS. Do these guys just rib you, or are they serious? [:D]

Edited by jolly
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2004 at 20:57
I am very familiar with your area. I live in NJ, but, have had access to a 650 acre retired grain farm in Cameron ( Steuben Co.) NY for over 18 years now. Yes, these guys like to rib me from time to time because of my tunnel vision with Bushnell Elite 4200 rifle scopes. The swede has a well earned reputation for accuracy and has plenty of juice for whitetails @ 300yrds. Ranburr was diagnosed with a similar illness from overexposure to Zeiss scopes. He is expected to make a full recovery! The only down side to the 6.5 Swede is, unless you handload,is the selection of factory loaded ammo.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2004 at 15:51

The new Burris Signature Selects just starting shipping a few weeks ago and from what I've seen of them they are first class scopes.

Here is what Burris says about them on their site;

"After long, hard consideration and a lot of work, we’ve upgraded our famous Signature Series to present the new Signature Select lineup.

Many of the enhancements are ergonomic for increased versatility and easier operation. For example, we moved the adjustment turret back on the 1.5X-6X, 3X-10X, 3X-12X, and 4X-16X to a more central location to give you more flexibility in mounting options.

Then we added deep relief grooves on the power ring and parallax adjust ring to provide a firm, no-nonsense grip. We integrated a shooter-viewable, easy-to-grip power ring with the eyepiece and included a non-slip ring of rubber on the internally focusable eyepiece ring.

We haven’t ignored optical and mechanical improvements either.

Every surface of every premium quality lens is fully Hi-Lume multi-coated. The Signature Select internal lenses are some 65% larger in surface area than a great many other 1" scopes on the market, and in fact significantly larger than most scopes with 30mm outer tubes. Several Signature Selects boast a versatile four-times magnification range and a generous 3 1/2" to 4" of eye relief. The finger-adjustable, shooter- viewable adjustment dials are all resettable.

These all new high performing beauties will turn more than a few heads in camp this year."

jolly View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2004 at 20:14
Chris, Thanks for the info about the Burris. I'll be ordering one soon. The Tikka comes with rings. Would I be better off with Burris bases and rings? Jolly

Edited by jolly
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2004 at 11:10
The Tikka supplies rings are fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic